A career stuff up!

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Sparky Brother
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by Sparky Brother » Sat, 14 Feb 2009, 03:14

Guys, sorry for bothering you with my sh... but this is something that recently really freaks me out. As probably some of you know apart of my passion - the Electro Feroza conversion I am an Air conditioning tech trying to make my way into the electrical Industry. I`m currently in my second Year as an electrician apprentice.

Unfortunately my Employer was so dumb so they lost their licensed Sparky which consequently puts my new career in jeopardy.

This is appeal to anyone who possibly knows somebody willing to employ a person like me. The money is not an issue. I am just eager to get into that Industry for all good reasons.

I am in the South East of Melbourne so anything in a reasonable distance will do.

Any suggestions are most welcome

Sparky Brother
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by Sparky Brother » Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 03:49

Hmm!? 38 people watched the postage and none of them has any opinion? No wonder why Comet Boy lost his interest to this forum.

tdean
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by tdean » Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 04:14

Gidday Sparky Brother,

Why not be a bit proactive and start ringing a few electricians to find out if they need a second year apprentice? Thats the #1 thing employers want to see from apprentice's, some initiative.

Shouldnt be too hard to get a few bites if you grab the yellow pages and start at the beginning. Better still go around and visit their workshop in person, and leave a card if the answer is no. You'll be surprised who gets back to you, 'worked every time for me.

cheers,

Terry
"We only have one future, and it will be made of our dreams, if we have the courage to challenge convention." - Soichiro Honda

Sparky Brother
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by Sparky Brother » Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 04:40

Now that`s a spirit!

Thanks for the reply. As I said before any suggestion will do. I have recently tried to talk to most of the Aircon. companies who are advertising and even got a sort of an promising call earlier today.

While I am quite familiar with the most of the players in the trade who most certainly would be happy to pay a big time money to a good Sparky or a good Friggy I can say from experience that the dual traders are pain in their A...es and the would surely go for a person that is not to think too much.

Therefore I decided for myself I would not be the biggest sufferer on Earth if I go for a purely Electrical company on an apprentice wages. Problem is they very rarely advertise.

Please don`t get me wrong on the being proactive part. Since the mob I`m working for lost their Sparky I never stopped ringing every possible company before my eyes. The only reason why I put this appeal on here Is I still believe we are quite big brotherhood and suppor each other at least with good Ideas.

I really taught it would be strange to go out there an start knocking at the doors but if you say it works I`ll give even that a go so thanks for encouraging me, there could be something

Cheers

tdean
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by tdean » Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 06:08

Hi Sparky Bro,

I think what you've been doing is good too but the thing that really worked for me was actually getting a list of workshops and working my way through them. My idea is tried and tested and I've always got a job by doing it that way.

The trick is not to expect to get a job from every contact you make or on the same day. Often I hear back from employers several weeks after being turned down because things happen in business: people get sick, leave, get sacked etc. Hehe. I remember one real prick who laughed at me and threw my card in the rubbish, two weeks later his apprentice left and he was crawling up my ass to work for him. By that time I was already in a job and I had the last laugh.

It takes balls to do this but after the 20th one its a cinch!

Let us know how you get on.

cheers,

Terry
"We only have one future, and it will be made of our dreams, if we have the courage to challenge convention." - Soichiro Honda

woody

A career stuff up!

Post by woody » Tue, 17 Feb 2009, 06:52

Hey Sparky,
Sorry I didn't comment before, I didn't have any ideas, and anything supportive I think could be taken the wrong way.

Terry has the right attitude, I think cast your net wide, no employer likes interviewing for a position, so if you're going to knock on 10 or 100 doors, you're probably going to be the sole candidate for any position which comes up in the near future.

Can you follow the old electrician to their new job?
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Sparky Brother
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by Sparky Brother » Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 05:11

Hi guys!

No comment has always been worse for me than what ever comment. By the way your comments go I can clearly see I am not the only positive person on this Forum.

All right. I couldn`t follow the "old" Sparky for the simple reason he was trying to go away from the electrical trade (crazy!!???) and make his way into the refrigeration! Exactly the opposite with me Image so he just accepted a Friggy position there.

The problem as I see it with going to the Electrical companies offices knocking at their doors is that I may know a lot who are the big players in the refrigeration but know almost nothing about the same for the El. companies.

As a service technician I travel a lot and often rase the sparkies on the road. It is quite ease actually for me to make the difference as to who is with a good company, who works for a drab mob, a soley trader or just a dodgy brother. Hm? It might come in handy to start making a neat little catalogue I recon!

And something of today Image . Grabbed the Yellows got couple of numbers and rang them up! Answers were ranging between; Aaa, boss is not here right now and yeah I don`t think he is looking for someone, to Oh I`m really sorry I wish I could help. Good luck.

So much for today. There will always be tomorrow. Right?

mjcrow
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by mjcrow » Wed, 18 Feb 2009, 05:48

Sorry to hear about your situation Sparky, I did my apprenticeship (as a mechanic) here in Adelaide through the industry group training scheme (MTA), if the electrical trade in Vic has something like it you could give them a call. Chances are they may know a company looking for someone and if they don't have anyone to fill the position well......

Also don't forget to try big employers like Ford, Qantas, etc, there are always apprentices who give up part way through, and if you can slot into their position, great.

Best of Luck
Michael

carnut1100
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by carnut1100 » Wed, 25 Feb 2009, 16:42

I spent ages looking for a Fitter and Turner apprenticeship, but nothing was doing.
Ended up going itnto Engineering instead and was lucky to walk straight into a job from TAFE.

fletchlives76
Noobie

A career stuff up!

Post by fletchlives76 » Fri, 27 Feb 2009, 02:11

tdean wrote:

It takes balls to do this but after the 20th one its a cinch!

and the same goes for getting a girlfriend.

www.seek.com.au

Sparky Brother
Groupie

A career stuff up!

Post by Sparky Brother » Sat, 28 Feb 2009, 00:12

Yeah! Judging by your age (member`s profile) You might know that better Image in the early 1910s it was really hard to get a chick I heard!

Any way. Just to let you all know, this week I sat an interview with an Aircon company that blew a big balloon on their intention to take on the market, and there will be another one next week with a real serious A/C company such most of the people I know would like to work for. Wish me luck!

As for chicks - keep tryin