Prospective EV owner

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
brendon_m

Re: Prospective EV owner

Post by brendon_m »

Anything with a chademo port is able to export to the grid /house (with the supporting hardware on the wall). Problem being is getting the supporting hardware and getting a power company to accept the installation.
CCS compatibility is coming but as far as I'm aware is not here yet
sleeperpservice
Groupie

Post by sleeperpservice »

ResistanceIsFutile wrote: Fri, 15 Jan 2021, 15:31
bladecar wrote: Fri, 15 Jan 2021, 14:25 Just to bring up something random, I was led to believe recently that there are EV s out there which allow you to power your house with the car battery (or is that only export to the grid from the car battery). Anyway, a reason to possibly buy a 2nd hand ev would be if you could use the car battery as a battery to store your panel energy and to use in the house during darkness while also being a standard ev for a while.
If this is straight from fairy-land, I'll soon find out :)
Back To Grid. BTG. The Nissan Leaf + is supposed to support it. It's the only one I'm aware of. I'm sure they will come though.

I'm concerned that you'll have to spend several thousand on electronics to access hundreds of dollars of savings though. :mrgreen:
The Ioniq 5 is supposed to have bidirectional charging support

This guy traded an old Ioniq for a Leaf to do V2H via a US$ 3000 imported Setec inverter - https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/vale ... niq.35558/

Jet charge a bringing in one at the end of the year but its supposed to be around $10k for their 'unique' solution. They advertise it as cheaper than a Powerwall. Not exactly if you have to purchase a whole car to make it work. https://jetcharge.com.au/services/vehicle-to-grid.
Anyone know why this shouldn't be the same cost as a hybrid inverter?
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

As far as I know, every Nissan Leaf from day one is capable of bi-directional “charging”.
And one bi-directional charger I’ve been interested in is the Highbury DC made right here in Melbourne by Rectifier Technologies.
Actually I’m not sure if it is available for purchase yet, nor if the price will make it viable for the common mortal.
I will try to ask them as I charge at their free 10kWdc office charger from time to time.
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - 124Wh/km from new
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf - Bought in Jan 2021 with 45'000km
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

I understand there is a V2G device available in Japan for Mitsubishi i-MiEV / Minicab but its 100v rather than 200v, despite 2014 and later U68 Minicabs using a 200v charger instead of 100v as used on the U67 model
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

Post by ResistanceIsFutile »

Looks like I missed one.. Kia e-Niro is coming to Aus. Should be worth a look.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2 ... ival-81874
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

I popped into Tesla this morning in town. As mentioned elsewhere.. if you order now your car will be built in China. He also said that the Chinese cars are looking to be better quality than US builds. In particular he mentioned paint - which I thought would have been done by robot.

Also, model Y later this year (if they can meet Chinese demand) and also Chinese built.
rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

Thanks for that info. I've been contemplating a Tesla purchase for a while.

Unless I can specify a non-Chinese build, I'll not buy one. I'd rather put up with US quality issues than provide financial support an increasingly aggressive regime. I really fear that China's combination of growing economic and military power with an aggressive, totalitarian regime could become the next biggest threat to our planet's livability after Climate Change.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Feb 2021
Total Petrol: 777.0L
ODO: 70432
Av Consumption: 1.10 L/100km
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

rhills wrote: Fri, 22 Jan 2021, 11:47 Thanks for that info. I've been contemplating a Tesla purchase for a while.

Unless I can specify a non-Chinese build, I'll not buy one. I'd rather put up with US quality issues than provide financial support an increasingly aggressive regime. I really fear that China's combination of growing economic and military power with an aggressive, totalitarian regime could become the next biggest threat to our planet's livability after Climate Change.
I really do hear you. The model 3 and Y will be Chinese there might be some specs which still come from the US. Or perhaps all the RHD is going to China. If you've got some cash to splash the S and X are probably still US built.

China built really doesn't sit well with me either. Conveniently for me a sedan is less than optimal for our household. Small/Med hatches are so much more practical. I'm going to wait and see what this year brings.
praxidice
Groupie

Post by praxidice »

rhills wrote: Fri, 22 Jan 2021, 11:47 Thanks for that info. I've been contemplating a Tesla purchase for a while.

Judging from the number of faults reported by owners of US built Tesla vehicles, Chinese built ones may well be a batter proposition
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

Took the wife to see the Ioniq. She liked the look of it which I didn't see coming. I still think the sloping stlying on it isn't great for tall people. If you want the premium one with leather you have to have the sunroof which makes the situation worse.

The Kona is just too small for our family.
sleeperpservice
Groupie

I'm 6"1' and don't have any issues in the premium in my driving position with head room. The only thing is the angle from the rear view mirror out the back.

In the back i can make myself comfortable but probably wouldn't want to be in for long journeys
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

sleeperpservice wrote: Sun, 24 Jan 2021, 17:18 I'm 6"1' and don't have any issues in the premium in my driving position with head room. The only thing is the angle from the rear view mirror out the back.

In the back i can make myself comfortable but probably wouldn't want to be in for long journeys
I'm 186 and it was definitely workable. Certainly just for two in the front. The problem is we're still carrying our kids around for a while, and they are tall.

We were impressed with the Ioniq. The wife liked it which is a good start. I'm just going to do my best to hold my nerve with all the options coming.
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

I'm really starting to think that the e-niro might be a starter. It's big inside, small (length) on the outside. It has a reasonable battery and performance. Questions remain as to how much they are going to price it at, and what the mid life update will include that Aussie cars are getting.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

E-niro is basically a slightly bigger Kona-(same running gear and battery: Kia is owned by Hyundai) so if you liked the Kona but found it a bit small, the e-niro is possibly your perfect EV!
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive: 2019 Kona electric
Also in family: 2019 Renault Zoe
Past drives: 2011 Blade Getz, 2011 Leaf, 2001 Citroen Berlingo conversion
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

So I did a bit of thinking about our car accommodation on the weekend. I actually think we can move the toy car to the shed which would remove the length limit from the potential EV. This doesn't mean we want a large car at all, but it opens up the compact SUV segment .. which if any of them ever get here means much more choice.

Car's that are now plausible if they come here.

- Hyundai ioniq
- Hyundai Ioniq 5.
- Skoda Enyaq
- VW ID4

We will see.
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

Excellent list. Now we just need to vote the dinosaurs out of Canberra so that manufacturers actually bring them to our country.

Why not the Model Y? I know it’s a Tesla and a pretty bit car, but the specs are impressive, the charging network extensive, and it could be the first one here.
2019 Ceramic blue Hyundai Kona Highlander - 124Wh/km from new
2014 Dark blue G-edition Nissan Leaf - Bought in Jan 2021 with 45'000km
ResistanceIsFutile
Groupie

EVdownUnder wrote: Tue, 02 Feb 2021, 21:19 Excellent list. Now we just need to vote the dinosaurs out of Canberra so that manufacturers actually bring them to our country.

Why not the Model Y? I know it’s a Tesla and a pretty bit car, but the specs are impressive, the charging network extensive, and it could be the first one here.
Interesting idea on the Model Y. I think it would be more suitable for our needs than a model 3 due to the hatchback body. I will look at it when it arrives.

So I was sniffing around at the local hyundai/kia dealer as I had some time to kill. I found this which was interesting since Kia don't currently sell any cars that can use it. ;)

g4qber

Post by g4qber »

2020 Model 3 SR+ FSD - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 80
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
sleeperpservice
Groupie

I know it's not on your list but teslabjorn has posted a look at the Nissan Ariya. Looks pretty tidy except for headroom in the rear seats

https://youtu.be/PVNqMDv_kRI