Lancer checks in

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Lancer21
Noobie

Lancer checks in

Post by Lancer21 » Mon, 24 Jun 2019, 23:55

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about going electric for a couple months now, and the occasion has arrived: I'll have to move for professional reasons from Italy to Australia in a couple months, and I'll have - of course- to buy a new car. Since I'm not familiar with neither electric vehicles nor the Australian automobile scene, I figured I should ask the experts first! And that's how I ended up here, with learning about what car would be the best for me and whether it's a good idea to go electric or not as my main goals.

jonescg

Re: Lancer checks in

Post by jonescg » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 08:35

All depends on where you end up living and how far you need to travel, and how often. Which city/town will you land in?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Lancer21
Noobie

Post by Lancer21 » Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 17:56

I'll be in Sydney, and don't plan going in the outback a lot; and if I do, I may as well rent a 4wd for a couple days and use my car strictly in the city.

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects » Wed, 26 Jun 2019, 02:07

new / 2nd hand?

i think i saw someone here selling a 2012 leaf with a new traction battery fitted
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first

Bryce
Groupie

Post by Bryce » Wed, 26 Jun 2019, 07:34

Depends on your budget, range and size needs.
Under $10k: a good converted EV (some currently available in WA?); BTW - avoid Blades (converted Hyundai Getz) unless you're very technically savvy to be able to repair them yourself ...;
Under $15k: second-hand Mitsubishi iMiEV, grey import MiEV van;
Under $30k - second-hand Australian delivered 24kWh Leaf or grey import Nissan Leaf with a 30kWh battery. (Or perhaps a 24kWh grey import Nissan e-NV van if you need a van?), maybe an early BMWi3 with 22kWh battery at auction;
Up to $50k: new Hyundai Ioniq BEV (or PHEV?), Renault Zoe, Renault Kangoo ZE van; more recent second-hand BMWi3 with 33kW battery if you're lucky
Up to $75k: Hyundai Kona (65 - 75k), Tesla Model 3 standard range plus, second-hand Model S, maybe a new or recent second-hand BMWi3 with the 42kWh battery if you haggle a bit.
Up to $150k: Jag I-Pace, new Model S, new Model X (not the top spec of any of those though :-) )
Over $150k: Just buy anything you like. :-)
Cheers
Bryce
AEVA Vic Branch Secretary
AEVA national newsletter editor
Current EV drives: Kona electric, 2001 Berlingo conversion
Selling: 2011 Leaf
Past drive: 2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions: DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter

Lancer21
Noobie

Post by Lancer21 » Wed, 26 Jun 2019, 21:40

That little chart is quite handy, thanks for it; I was thinking of buying something around the $40K mark, so I'll look for good deals on what's in the under $50k list, and if I find something that's really good, I guess I can push it up to $45k.