Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Post Reply
User avatar
dgh853
Groupie
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 03:19
Real Name: David Hiley
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Post by dgh853 » Mon, 16 Nov 2015, 14:52

Hi everyone,

I wanted to throw an idea out there to see whether there may be some interested EV test drivers and/or EV owners who would like to drive someone else's or their own EV at Sydney Motorsport Park for only $55 per car.

Recently the ARDC launched an event called Dawn Patrol that runs from 6am-8:15am and provides an hour (2 x 30 minute sessions I believe) on the 3.93km (Gardner) circuit at speeds up to 120kph behind a pace car. It's definitely not a race day but an opportunity to drive an EV around this iconic circuit at a good speed and appreciate the strengths of an EV in regard to performance, noise, low centre of gravity etc.

To find out more about the Dawn Patrol you can check out http://www.sydneymotorsportpark.com.au/ ... awnpatrol/.

You can have one driver and maximum one passenger in each vehicle. It may be possible to come in to the pits multiple times during each session to swap in and out drivers and passengers so potentially 3 or 4 drivers could get 15-20 minutes in the driver and passenger seat for a fraction of the $55 fee.

I'd be happy to take out my Nissan Leaf or Outlander PHEV for others to drive. Next event is Tuesday 1st December with sign-in at 5:30am.

Please reply to this email with feedback on the idea and to register interest if you would like to:
a. test an EV;
b. bring their EV along to drive themselves; and/or
c. bring their EV for others to drive.

David

P.S. For EV owners there are heaps of electrical connections including multiple 10A and 15A sockets in every garage as well as 10A and 3 phase 32A in the paddock garages and around the main building. You could plug in when you arrive, between sessions and afterward to make sure you have enough charge to get to home or to work.
2013 Nissan Leaf

galderdi
Groupie
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 21:37
Real Name: Greg
Location: Brisbane

Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Post by galderdi » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 02:12

I would consider it depending on dates etc, and assuming I can get my car working Image

[Edited Coulomb: can't have Unicode smileys for technical reasons to do with the upcoming Web Wiz to phpBB conversion ]
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 13 Jul 2017, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dgh853
Groupie
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 03:19
Real Name: David Hiley
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Post by dgh853 » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 02:30

Thanks galderdi for the response - your profile shows you based in Brisbane - are you now in Sydney?

Is there anyone else who might be interested? If not, is it poor timing, not interested in going to the track, have already sampled other EVs on the market etc.

I think a great way to promote EVs is to give people the opportunity to drive them without the pressure and BS that goes on at most car dealers. Driving at a race track might be more than is required for a test drive - perhaps it's something we could do as part of an AEVA meetup on a weekend or a "green/sustainability" event?

Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks,
David

2013 Nissan Leaf

User avatar
jonescg
Senior Member
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu, 21 Jan 2010, 23:05
Real Name: Chris Jones
Location: Perth, WA.

Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Post by jonescg » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 04:45

I think each state branch really needs a drive day event, much like we do with Electrikhana. It makes a HUGE difference. Hiring a racetrack for the day is hell expensive, but you might be able to find a driver training circuit somewhere with the relevant insurances.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

galderdi
Groupie
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 21:37
Real Name: Greg
Location: Brisbane

Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Post by galderdi » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 13:42

dgh853 wrote: Thanks galderdi for the response - your profile shows you based in Brisbane - are you now in Sydney?

Is there anyone else who might be interested? If not, is it poor timing, not interested in going to the track, have already sampled other EVs on the market etc.

I think a great way to promote EVs is to give people the opportunity to drive them without the pressure and BS that goes on at most car dealers. Driving at a race track might be more than is required for a test drive - perhaps it's something we could do as part of an AEVA meetup on a weekend or a "green/sustainability" event?

Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks,
David


Hi, Nope. Still in Brissy but depending on the details I'd be willing to bring my car down on a trailer. I expect my car will only have about 30 minutes of range but it would still be great to sample that track.

galderdi
Groupie
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 21:37
Real Name: Greg
Location: Brisbane

Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

Post by galderdi » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 14:03

jonescg wrote: I think each state branch really needs a drive day event, much like we do with Electrikhana. It makes a HUGE difference. Hiring a racetrack for the day is hell expensive, but you might be able to find a driver training circuit somewhere with the relevant insurances.


I am a member of the holden sporting car club (Its not actually about holdens any more). The club runs motorkhana in Willowbank on a regular basis and would be happy to have EVs along. But being at Williowbank I suspect getting most EVs there and back would be a challenge. But incase anyone is interested:
The first event is a Motorkhana and Khanacross combined Feb 7th
The second event is a come and try motorkhana on March 20th
    The First event on Feb 7th is the one I am aiming for as my first event in my new special EV.

    Here is an example of a motorkhana:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLq14ZV8xGE
    Here is an example of a khanacross:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PodS9wEFQNg

    User avatar
    Jeff Owen
    Groupie
    Posts: 155
    Joined: Thu, 13 Nov 2008, 15:53
    Real Name: Jeff Owen
    Location: Brisbane

    Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

    Post by Jeff Owen » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 16:12

    galderdi wrote:I am a member of the holden sporting car club (Its not actually about holdens any more). The club runs motorkhana in Willowbank on a regular basis and would be happy to have EVs along. But being at Williowbank I suspect getting most EVs there and back would be a challenge. But incase anyone is interested:
    The first event is a Motorkhana and Khanacross combined Feb 7th
    The second event is a come and try motorkhana on March 20th

    Getting some EVs to participate sounds like a good agenda item for the Brisbane branch meeting tonight. We could make it a social day with with a BBQ etc, and non-EV owners able to compete in their non-EVs.

    We could possibly source a trailer to transport range challenged EVs discretely to and from the event.

    User avatar
    dgh853
    Groupie
    Posts: 96
    Joined: Thu, 05 Jun 2014, 03:19
    Real Name: David Hiley
    Location: Sydney
    Contact:

    Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

    Post by dgh853 » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 17:15

    jonescg wrote: I think each state branch really needs a drive day event, much like we do with Electrikhana. It makes a HUGE difference. Hiring a racetrack for the day is hell expensive, but you might be able to find a driver training circuit somewhere with the relevant insurances.


    Just read about Electrikhana - great event. I'll just need some support from others in Sydney to organise something similar.

    There is a Honda Advanced Rider Training (HART) circuit at St Ives on Sydney's North Shore @ https://goo.gl/maps/4rPShsCwpax. I'll enquire into costs to hire such a facility and bring it to the Sydney AEVA meeting in December.

    I'm still keen to attend the Dawn Patrol at SMSP on Tuesday 1st December for those who are interested. I'll enter in my Nissan Leaf and others can drive or be a passenger. Thanks to those who have responded on the forum or via private message.
    2013 Nissan Leaf

    galderdi
    Groupie
    Posts: 64
    Joined: Sun, 07 Dec 2014, 21:37
    Real Name: Greg
    Location: Brisbane

    Drive an EV @ Sydney Motorsport Park

    Post by galderdi » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 17:27

    Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread for a SE QLD event. I'll create a new thread to continue that discussion. Link viewtopic.php?p=59599#p59599

    [ Edited by Webmaster to make URL clickable ]
    Last edited by rhills on Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

    Post Reply