Jetman

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
offgridQLD

Jetman

Post by offgridQLD » Mon, 09 Nov 2015, 18:18

I know it's not electric drive (Though I feel an electic version isn't out of the question) But anyone with a passion for pushing the limits of engineering and amazing extreme transportation might get a kick out of this.

Sure had the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. All movement comes just from his body position changes. Only mechanical control is throttle. What would the Wright brothers think of it if there could see the progress.

Enjoy.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czy0pXRRZcs

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Mon, 09 Nov 2015, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects

Jetman

Post by Adverse Effects » Mon, 09 Nov 2015, 19:00

WOW i want i want i want lol

mikedufty

Jetman

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 09 Nov 2015, 20:08

Well, it actually can't do what the Wright brother's flyer did - take off and land in control. They throw it out of a plane to launch and land with a parachute.

offgridQLD

Jetman

Post by offgridQLD » Mon, 09 Nov 2015, 20:29

Well yes considering taking off consumes a large proportion of the onboard fuel supply its most likely considered a waste of the flying time. a runway and rollerblades just isn't cool

I'm 100% sure the 4 engines have the power to do so considering the vertical lift under power in the video.

Landing again just a matter of why do you need to land in the conventional way....as in you need a air strip and all the crap...restrictions..limitations that that involves. If you want to land this way you just open the shoot and land where ever you like. An improvement if anything.

Kurt

mikedufty

Jetman

Post by mikedufty » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 06:36

I prefer my flying foot launched and solar powered. A bit annoyed I missed the best flying day ever in WA yesterday because I couldn't be bothered changing my lunch plans though. A friend smashed the state paragliding distance record with a 286 km flight. Not bad for an unpowered aircraft that fits in a backpack. http://www.xcontest.org/world/en/flight ... #fd=flight

offgridQLD

Jetman

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 14:05

Yes that's impressive respect for that effort. It's a different style but impressive in it's own way.

I guess what impressed me most about the Jetman is not so much that they have 4 model aircraft jets strapped to the wing. It's the method of control that I found amazing and just how well it works. Just moving your hand or lifting a leg, arching your back or turning your head. His body parts have become a very effective. Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons and balance tabs.

To trust all that to your body parts and pull it all off at that speed around buildings and aerobatics with other people I find amazing. The only mechanical input is a thumb throttle.

There is another video of him flying in formation with other full sized jet planes and it just looks like something out of a dream or movie set.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 10 Nov 2015, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.