hydrogen cars, issues

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
EmpowerRepower
Groupie

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by EmpowerRepower » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 02:27

This article by Tony Seba has some often overlooked information on where hydrogen usually comes from, despite the green hype.

Can hydrogen...compete with EVs?

here

The SMH also had an article on hydrogen vehicles in the Drive section yesterday.

Member of Sunshine Coast Community Solar committee
3 kW solar pv
Nissan Leaf EV, bought March 2015
EV/Sustainability blog at www.EmpowerRepower.com

antiscab

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by antiscab » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 02:35

short answer - no
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells

mikedufty

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by mikedufty » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 05:59

Mostly good points, but the article did seem a bit biased - giving the latest information on BEV and fairly out of date stuff about hydrogen. Doesn't change the conclusion, but would be nice to acknowledge that there is research going on into more efficient ways of converting energy to hydrogen.

Of course there is also research on better ways of converting renewable energy to liquid fuels and better batteries, all very likely to succeed sooner than hydrogen.

T1 Terry

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by T1 Terry » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 11:08

A book titled Light, Water, Hydrogen - The Solar Generation of Hydrogen by Water Photoelectrolysis written by Grimes, Varghese and Ranjan looks at some very interesting possibilities for producing hydrogen from one of our most abundant sources using free energy so it doesn't have to be a dirty process. Add the process of combining carbon dioxide to produce synthetic methane and it is easier to store and liquefy for bulk storage and transport. The carbon dioxide is again released when the product is used but as long as no addition carbon dioxide was produced generating the energy required for the whole process it becomes a fully recyclable carbon neutral fuel. Not likely to happen while we have heaps of the stuff underground but a definite future fuel.
Electricity generation and use can produce ozone gas in some circumstances, at what level does this become a pollutant of its own?

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Rusdy
Groupie

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by Rusdy » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 17:12

I like the statement from the linked article:

"It makes sense for the fossil fuel industry to lobby for the hydrogen car because hydrogen is essentially a product line extension for them. In other words, the “Hydrogen Economy” is the “Fossil Fuel Economy” with a green sheen."

I always wonder myself who is in the right mind can propose hydrogen. Trying to dig the motivation out of it, this makes sense.
Last edited by Rusdy on Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

MDK
Groupie

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by MDK » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 19:03

There's an excellent Four Part Series on Hydrogen and why it doesn't and is unlikely to ever make sense for cars.

The same author also recently posted a follow-up specifically addressing Toyota's announcement

Rusdy
Groupie

hydrogen cars, issues

Post by Rusdy » Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 22:05

MDK wrote: There's an excellent Four Part Series on Hydrogen and why it doesn't and is unlikely to ever make sense for cars.

The same author also recently posted a follow-up specifically addressing Toyota's announcement

Thanks for the links, I've found that guy insight and experience is really helpful: "I've been meaning to write about it since at least 4 years, and thought I would have been beaten to the punch many times already."

Still true to today!