EV's in the US

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 16:43

I am keen to see more EV's on the streets on our US trip.We Arrived at night in Seattle Didn't see any at first. I walked out the hotel this morning to get breakfast and smack bang in front of the hotel was a grey BMW I3 parked out front.That was a good start.Then I went to the pedestrian crossing and a white P85D turned the corner in front of us. I noticed several more Nissan leafs on the 5 min walk. Not something I would see in Brisbane then again perhaps I just got lucky on this walk. I also noticed all the Concettina dual length public buses are Hybrid electric.

The bad news is the apparent higher uptake of EV's. looks like it's all offset 10000% by the endless convoy of F150 puck up trucks. Gas guzzling and oh so goofy looking people movers.

I3

I noticed little smart cars on all the streets for hire to get around. I should have a look if they are electric...(don't think so but could be wrong)

I'm keen to find some of the model Ev's that we don't see in Australia.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 18:45

I worked out that some of the buses are GM battery hybrid and some are just electric like a tram but I think they can also drive without the overhead lines.

Battery / diesel hybrid

Pure electric bus (perhaps battery as well to go independently)

A lot of electric bikes on the street some are Quick. Defiantly no 200w rule.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 18:54

Turns out the smart cars that you can hire on the street are not electric in Seattle but the hire company (smart Car2go) where you hire them on a Min, hr or day rate offers them in electric in some areas.

Kurt

Johny

EV's in the US

Post by Johny » Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 19:24

You are right Kurt (about the Buses).

"One of the big differences is that the bus has a lithium-ion battery pack that will allow drivers to operate them off of the city's trolley wire."

"That gives us up to three miles off wire use of this vehicle," said Bill Thon, the project manager for the trolley fleet replacement program. "So if there's accidents, construction, any type of project that closes a street we have the capacity to bring the poles down and go around that issue and then get back on the wires and go about our daily routine."

Source: http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/s ... /70043772/
Last edited by Johny on Tue, 01 Sep 2015, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 19:36

Yes the 100% electric buses are cool. I was on a quiet street this afternoon and one pulled up at the lights. The acceleration is impressive (well not what you would expect from a loaded bus on a hill) Rolling on rubber tires. VS steel wheels on rails makes them much quieter than a tram.

Tonight we are staying on the ritzyer end of town and Lots of Tesla's in the car parks and on the street.

I noticed this car today its a Kia and I think it's electric. The brick looking car in between the two Toyota Prius.

Something about Segways just makes my hate them...not sure why Image

Kurt

Johny

EV's in the US

Post by Johny » Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 19:47

offgridQLD wrote: Something about Segways just makes my hate them...not sure why Image

Kurt
I don't think it's the actual vehicle - I think it's the folk who ride them. Ride the Segway around town then pay for the Gym membership to catch up on fitness. Strange world (western) we live in.

Prius have done well in the USA market since the early days when they were the butt of jokes - even from Alf.

Going back to your earlier post re: F150s:
"For a 33rd year, Ford's F-Series pickup took its place at the head of the top 20 best-selling vehicles in the USA, outselling all other car and truck models."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /21334373/

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 20:10

Yes there are almost as many Prius getting about as F150's. The car in the pic above in between the two Prius is a Kia Soul EV.

The F150's are all pimped out (stretched) you could fit a small compact car in the ute tub. Most are auto and just look like a brick with wheels. I noticed fuel (even in the more expensive areas) is about $3.30 a gallon.

My wife just mentioned that we should have hired a Tesla model S for the month instead of the little Jap car we rented.

Kurt

Johny

EV's in the US

Post by Johny » Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 20:22

offgridQLD wrote:My wife just mentioned that we should have hired a Tesla model S for the month instead of the little Jap car we rented.
Yes, it would have been nice but doubled the cost of accomodation+transport I think. The site you got me to browse listed the 15 worst cars to but and number one was the BMW 7 series. Tesla must trump it be magnitudes.

Seattle looks cold from the clothes the Segway riders were wearing. Are you there for a particular purpose (or shouldn't I ask)?

Hey maybe you could return the little car in the last few days and just get a Tesla for a couple of days? (Not my money as you can see).
Last edited by Johny on Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 21:18

It's not that cold (though its the very end of summer) it's about the same as Sydney early winter, low 20's. though it's windy and rains on and off. Just a holiday starting up the top and working are way down south.

Yes my wife was 1/2 joking about a Tesla for a month.(as in cool idea but shame about the cost) We are to stingy to be doing that.

Though perhaps for a day or even 1/2 a day or so in CA as a treat. As there is no way I am ever going to sink the $ needed to buy one in Au so it could be some time befor I could get the chance to drive one again.

kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 02 Sep 2015, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

alexeiw123
Groupie

EV's in the US

Post by alexeiw123 » Thu, 03 Sep 2015, 15:47

offgridQLD wrote: Yes my wife was 1/2 joking about a Tesla for a month.(as in cool idea but shame about the cost) We are to stingy to be doing that.

Starting at about USD$100 a day for a model S from relay rides (the car equivalent of airBNB).

I remember seeing a tesla roadster for hire in LA.

Johny

EV's in the US

Post by Johny » Thu, 03 Sep 2015, 15:50

Hertz USA list them under "dream cars" as around $200 a day. I'm sure there are more costs involved though.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 03 Sep 2015, 18:35

Yes $200 US pr day is about $280 Au. Perhaps a better idea to get friendly with a Model S owner in Au and ask nicely for a ride. that's 10 X more expensive than a late model Jap car pr day to hire.

Perhaps I spoke to soon about the 100% electric buses being great. I snapped this shot this afternoon. Perhaps they are not as reliable as I was thinking.

That said there is a electric mono rail that runs past our hotel. It was built back in the 50's and it's chromed out carriages that remind me of the Jetsons car is still going strong. Nice and smooth - quiet though who knows how many rebuilds its had in the 60 odd years.

I spotted 5 different Ebikes for sale in a sports - outdoor store.

Kurt

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 06 Sep 2015, 15:45

Had a Coke Truck along side of me today on the freeway. Wasn't until I read the huge message on the side of the trailer that I was surprised it was a hybrid.

I can see why EV's and small cars are a hard sell. Today I filled up our Nissan Versa (pulsar size hatch)at Cosco and it was $2.60 a gallon for premium. The car has been giving us abut 6lt/100km consumption $20 later we are good for another 300+ miles. I was thinking the over sized F150 - 350 Utes would be less common in the city's but its like there is more. 6.7lt diesel motor in a 7m long machine to drive one 50kg lady to the shops and pick up milk. Funny enough they have the words (ECO) in green under the 6.7lt..engine displacement sticker..some how ECO & 6.7lt doesn't go hand in hand.

The driver's are so hesitant. Defiantly no defensive or spirited driving going on. Some times that's good. As every one is well behaved and oh so predictable on the road. Though some times it's not so good when you want to pull off a cheeky stunt to get where you want to be (they kind of freak out). even if it's a move that wouldn't raise a eyebrow back home.

The cars are a joke with all the safety crap. Warning on everything. Bells and buzzers going off all the time. All 4 doors on the car lock as soon as you get over 20mph. The rear doors can not be opened from the inside (even by the driver) So you always have to get out to open the rear doors for people in the back.

If you want to work on Cars or Electronics. Boy there is some choice when it comes to getting what your looking for. Yesterday I went to a Auto parts store (like a super cheap auto) Specialty tools for one off automotive jobs are plentiful.

Today I went to the equivalant of a (Jaycar) That was a Eye opener. Got a fluke 87V for $300AU. Then all the little things we just pay to much for like heat shrink, grommets, cable glands, cable lugs. It was a little depressing actually.

kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 06 Sep 2015, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Sun, 13 Sep 2015, 21:04

San Francisco, I have seen a few Ev's. Predominantly public transport with the same electric over head wire buses again. Doing a good job on the very steep hills. The odd Tesla Model S and BMW I3 again on the streets around the hotels.

I like the paint on this particular model S

There is no way in hell I would park my car on the street here though. Going my the number of cars with ducked taped cardboard cut outs where side windows use to be. Smash and grab of valuables in cars must be real common thing. One street today there was a line of 5 cars all with the windows smashed and items all over the foot path like it had just happened.

Going by how beat up the taxi's and most other cars are. A car driven in San Fransisco has a hard life particularly one parked on the street. Given how steep the streets are there is a habit everyone has of turning there parked cars front wheels into the curb (in case the handbrake lets go) This has a knock on effect that every mag wheel I could spot was so scuffed up from the curb. So I don't think the shiny model S rims or the I3's will stay that way long.

I also took a hybrid solar powered ferry across the bay to Alcatraz today. 380v DC (I think they USE AGM lead batterys). It use to have vertical wind turbines on the top as well as PV but from what I could see today they must have scraped the token wind turbines in favor of more PV (common conclusion most people find)

I did spot one Tesla model S a few days ago on a country road in the mountains about 150 miles from any significant town and I spotted the same car a few times over the afternoon heading back into town. So was good to See some one using that extra range.

Kurt
Last edited by offgridQLD on Sun, 13 Sep 2015, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 18:59

I'm noticing lots of hybrids on the road. Almost all the big manufactures have them and they look to be much more common than in AU.

I can see how they could work out well for some people over here. Motoring with a small ICE car is very inexpensive. The hire car we have Nissan Versa hatchback (Auto) has averaged 40mpg over the last 2400 miles of driving. Often at 80mph (the speed limit is not strictly enforced particularly the more we travel south) Look out in the slow lane if your not doing 135kmh the trucks are up your ass and if your not doing 145kph in the fast lane expect the same (even when its posted at 120kph). The cops just sit in the medium strip and I don't think they give a dam unless you wizz past at 120mph and yell at them. (Way different to Au) lots of climbing into the mountains (with lots of luggage) The price to fill up has been from $2.11 to 2.80 pr gallon. (average around $2.50) so about 5.9lt pr 100km or about $3.80 pr 100km of driving. So I can see how a hybrid with a reasonable sized battery and the ability to run as a BEV would be attractive.

I spotted a Tesla supercharging station the other day in the middle of the desert about 100 miles from the Hoover dam. Might even be powered by one of the hydro Turbines when they are running. Two honking big transformers along side of it one covered in a wooden fence.

Tesla super charger station in the Desert truck stop/fast food car park.

Big transformer along side it.

Not sure what was behind the fence. Didn't bother looking as it was about 41 deg C outside and didn't want to hang about. So I think the superchargers will have no issue in the Australian heat.

A few of the Big hydro turbines in the hoover dam up the road at the Hoover dam. I guess when Vegas isn't sucking away at them the superchargers would have a good clean supply.

Another thing I am noticing to is 120v outlets that are open and live are every where in public places. Almost every take out r outdoor dining has outlets for public use (most likely to attract people using the free wifi and charging there phones/laptops. Though not much good with a large EV like a car but a Ebike where you can remove the battery and walk in grab a drink and recharge would be so easy as often the outlets are under the tables. A gross country Ebike ride would be easy to plan.

Kurt

Last edited by offgridQLD on Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

Johny

EV's in the US

Post by Johny » Wed, 23 Sep 2015, 21:38

Those charge stations look a little lonely out there.
It's neat how sleek Tesla's chargers look compared with the box-like offering for CHAdeMo that are around.

jonescg

EV's in the US

Post by jonescg » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 09:11

I'll have to put a similar thread up about my trip to Canada :) I get bck into Sydney Friday morning. Lots of Model S, leafs and smart two-4s
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Rusdy
Groupie

EV's in the US

Post by Rusdy » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 19:42

offgridQLD wrote:
Today I went to the equivalant of a (Jaycar) That was a Eye opener. Got a fluke 87V for $300AU. Then all the little things we just pay to much for like heat shrink, grommets, cable glands, cable lugs. It was a little depressing actually.

kurt

Very depressing indeed. I brought lots of electronic components once from overseas and got stopped in the custom. Obviously, they thought it was a bomb Image

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 20:06

Yes our bags will have all the code red lights flashing on arrival.

Lots of tools electronics in them electronics EV chargers, I have been told by my wife to stop buying knifes, archery equipment and targets . Oh and if I even so much as pick up to look at another led headlamp I'm swimming home.

When I get bored holding bags in clothing shops I go walk about to hardware stores. It's not so much that the gear is that much cheaper just the variety is over the top so I'm always walking out with specialty tools. For example wire crimpers there might be 20 different kinds and back home you lucky to have one or two.

Today I spotted a bmw I3 black paint and it was well over 40C with no shade. The thing was parked in the center of the car park (black tarmac) several hrs we were there. It was getting cooked and the temps are not much less at 9pm. I'm not sure if a lot of EV owners know how bad that is for there batterys they just treat it like any other car.

kurt

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Mon, 28 Sep 2015, 22:02

Spotted this solar charging station at the Zoo. We parked under it in our ICE car just to take advantage of the shade the PV provided (no we didn't park in front of the charging stations as there was more PV shelter than charging stations.

I read a notice board inside the zoo that mentioned the system is connected to a large battery storage as a buffer. When I came out I had a look around for where the battery storage could be and only spotted a small windowless building about 30m away that I guess was the battery room.

There was a few Tesla model S and Leafs on charge.

Most of the Walmart stores have Blink charge stations in the car parks.I Spotted this Merc EV on charge last time I went to Walmart.

Kurt

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Tue, 29 Sep 2015, 20:52

Parked next to a couple of fast chargers today in another shopping centre car park. A Golf EV was on charge just looks like any other golf hatch, nice looking EV. There was the usual few leaf's charging to.

(Will upload some pics later)

Kurt

offgridQLD

EV's in the US

Post by offgridQLD » Fri, 02 Oct 2015, 16:47

More public fast chargers and the usual huge transformer along side them

Kurt