Intellegent Helmets

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
EV2Go

Intellegent Helmets

Post by EV2Go »

Just putting it out there for debate / discussion, but I have just spent the morning looking at Skully helmets which are the latest in the line of "be all and end all" helmets.

The HUD technology that is slowly making its way into helmets these days is probably long overdue. With this latest offering apparently having a GPS, speed, rear view camera, call capability, etc.

Now as some of you are probably aware helmets don't last forever and you wind up throwing away a lot of pricey equipment. I was just pondering the idea of why not build an on-board computer to do all this and just have a removable Bluetooth HUD in the helmet?

Most GPS these days have more than enough processing power to do more than just run a GPS. A lot can already do the phone calls etc. If you mounted the camera to the rear of the bike there is no need to have it in the helmet.

Just thinking there has to be a better way...
Adverse Effects

Intellegent Helmets

Post by Adverse Effects »

a Bluetooth link is way to slow for video alone so adding all the other stuff just wouldn't do it
EV2Go

Intellegent Helmets

Post by EV2Go »

Any faster wireless ways?
Adverse Effects

Intellegent Helmets

Post by Adverse Effects »

not for that type of thing not cheaply

you could have a tether from the bike but that would get annoying fast
EV2Go

Intellegent Helmets

Post by EV2Go »

Maybe but so does using the wrong helmet just to get extra functionality. I just changed my helmet because it was getting a bit long in the tooth and it was limiting my over the shoulder viewing due to the shape. I now have a sports type helmet that allows better head movement (especially crouching down) but it is more wind noisy. So really everything is a trade off.
EV2Go

Intellegent Helmets

Post by EV2Go »

Just trying to work out how you would alternate between the video behind, the GPS and the speed. I guess if you wrote an app that sat over the top of all of them you could do time slices based on what you wanted to look at.
cj7hawk
Noobie

Intellegent Helmets

Post by cj7hawk »

Hmmm, I did develop such a system - It was an 800x600 VGA screen ( 0.4" ) that ran off of 2 x CR123 batteries, and could either sit over my eye while wearing my bike helmet ( I have a NV plate on my bike helmet ) or integrate a see-through reflector to direct the image over my FOV ( diopter adjustable out to infinity ).

Now theoretically, that should plug into a low-power wireless chromecast/miracast adapter ( take your pick ) and that would connect to a mobile phone or similar linux-based computer that could do the bike computer stuff.

I guess such a system would allow you to overlay a hud over your FOV, or even to integrate a NV camera and have full day/night overlay, which is kind of where it was heading.

Anyway, it was declared a controlled item by the DoD and so I'm limited as to what I can say openly about it on public forums, but if you really want to give it a go, I can help you with information on making your own as long as the information stays within Australia -

They aren't cheap though - budget around $1000 all up if you want to make one --

Though you can watch you-tube on your phone while driving/riding, so if you're into that kind of stuff, it might be worth making.

I ran mine mostly with composite video ( they have two decoder boards ) so never tried it with a miracast adapter - so you may need to do some trials and make sure it's feasible before ordering one.

The alternative would be to get a low-resolution serial display - they cost about $40 and will take 5v serial at 9600 baud or something, then build a HUD system around it - If you know your way around electronics, that might be easier and cheaper -

Regards
David
EV2Go

Intellegent Helmets

Post by EV2Go »

Thanks for the input David. At the moment I am slowly taking a look at it from the software side of things, before attempting any video transfer to a HUD. I found a couple of open source GPS code that I am trying to investigate further, but am trying to fix my GPS first.