Intro.

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
poprock
Groupie

Intro.

Post by poprock »

Hi, new to this forum. Active on DIYEV for 3 yrs.Have fiddled with a Gen Dynamics 9" for this time in various configurations. Presently have a Daihatsu Sirion manual which is driveable and works well. For the engineers certification it needs the airbag light re-wired?, a tidy up and a good set of FLA's.From viewing the DIYEV site it is clear that AC is the way of the future and this results in many DC setups being sold off. I am happy to fiddle with my Alltrax 7245 set at 90v max and running 84v,but working with AC is beyond my Geny/voltage regulator apprenticeship. An alternative is to buy a redundant DC kit. But considering the steps still needed to progress to road legal a better alternative may be to buy an already converted vehicle.From Craigs list & US Ebay this can still be expensive as most offered there need a new battery pack. So for my current vehicle, what is an approximation of Engineers Certification costs? The NSW RMS blue slip is not a drama other than the airbag light? Thoughts?
Richo

Intro.

Post by Richo »

I doubt it's worth trying to import a vehicle unless it is particularly unique that isn't already in Australia.

Maybe your light is blown.
I don't have a wiring schematic in front of me but doesn't it come from the airbag module?
It should be separate from the motor ECU.

DC vs AC - if you have connected a DC motor controller then add 1 wire to get the AC install Image
The low voltage off the shelf AC systems are very similar from an install point of view.

Not in NSW so can't comment on eng cert prices.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
poprock
Groupie

Intro.

Post by poprock »

Thank you for your reply. My sentence structure may have been misleading. My reference to Craig's list was with regard to the condition of the vehicles which usually require more money spent. I agree that it is not viable to import an ev. I remember sometime ago seeing a Charade ev for sale locally. I think it was 4k but needed a battery pack and other repairs. If the certification was valid then this may be a better option. The extra wire for a/c would be a good option.Is there a diagram for this? I will search the Alltrax site to see if I can find something. Thanks.
poprock
Groupie

Intro.

Post by poprock »

After a large time warp I can say that the Daihatsu Sirion is on the verge of being registered. Eventually went with an ADC 7" ? from a golf buggy. Batteries are 7x 6oah deep cycle. Yes, it is a small pack but it is still experimental and I hope to go to lithium one day. The engineer from Newcastle is reasonable and thinks like me; if it works, it doesn't have to look pretty.Airbag concern was unneccessary because a clause in the NSW regs allows a sticker to be placed in passengers view warning that the airbag and safety systems in this car may not work. I used a Hella up28 vacuum pump, which some have said is too small for most applications. The vacuum tank is 9omm pvc 400 long, and has 5 pumps in reserve. I made my own vacuum on/off switch using a distributor vacuum advance from my next project, a 1983 Subaru Sherpa. He requested adjustment to the low vacuum warning light and that it didn't light up for test with power on.He also asked that the engine mounting bracket be rewelded by someone more qualified. Also he asked for more floor strengthening for the rear battery carrier as it is some 90kg with batteries as to 50kg for the fuel tank loaded.The licensed electrician was mainly concerned with the earth leakage standards, which it met.The engineer asked for a dc-dc converter. My reasoning was that the auxiliary battery would outlast the battery pack, but a converter covers both ways. I will post again when it has plates.
Adverse Effects

Intro.

Post by Adverse Effects »

good to see progress