Code Help

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
EV2Go

Code Help

Post by EV2Go » Sat, 02 Oct 2010, 06:42

Had a minor glitch when trying to rename one of the forms... VB in it's infinite wisdom wiped out all the code and controls off the form.

Thankfully I left myself a few formula clues in the previous post. Will have a lot of rebuilding to do, but at least I have some code to work from.

7circle

Code Help

Post by 7circle » Sat, 02 Oct 2010, 10:34

Yow, that must of hurtImage, lossing code you built up.

You will hopefully will find recreate a better more efficient code Image structure. And remember to back up ... for a while. Image

rhills
Site Admin

Code Help

Post by rhills » Sat, 02 Oct 2010, 21:36

The lesson to take home here is never, ever write any code without using version control. There are excellent open source options around so good version control doesn't cost you anything. Whenever I start any software project, whether something simple for home or a professional project, the first thing I do is create a repository for the code. I couldn't begin to quantify the time that's saved me.

If you don't know where to start, take a look at either:

Subversion + TortoiseSVN (http://subversion.apache.org/ and http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/) - These are very mature products with pretty good documentation.

GIT + TortoiseGIT (http://git-scm.com/ and http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/) - These are newer so a little less mature, but represent the "way of the future".

If you've never had much to do with Version Control systems before, this may seem complicated and difficult to learn and an unnecessary distraction from the task at hand (ie cutting the code) but believe me, however many hours you invest now in learning how to use a version control system, it will repay you many times over the next year or two.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Sep 2019
Total Petrol: 662.2L
ODO: 51803
Av Consumption: 1.25 L/100km

EV2Go

Code Help

Post by EV2Go » Sat, 02 Oct 2010, 23:44

I am my own worse enemy when it comes to version control. I generally make a zillion copies and then forget which is the latest.

I have in the past had access to things like VSS and TFS but it is my own slackness that has prevented their use.

I figure the most simple way is to have a project folder for each project and within that folder have about three working copies, each folder has the date on it.

Every time I want to save a copy just overwrite the oldest one. It is generally when I do a major code change that things like this happen.

rhills
Site Admin

Code Help

Post by rhills » Sun, 03 Oct 2010, 00:20

I was like that a few years ago. When I took the plunge with Subversion, after about 3 months, I wondered why I'd ever contemplated living without it. I've since changed over to GIT but I use that for everything, code, documents etc. etc.

I also used to try and manage things manually, and like you, every now and then would stuff up monumentally.

You don't need separate servers and offline storage to use either Subversion or GIT, you can just use the computer you're developing on. Of course, if you have a separate computer, then you get backup for free so that's an even better way to go.

Seriously, it's really worth the effort to install and learn either Subversion or GIT. DO IT NOW!

I'm happy to provide some guidance via PM if you want to take the plunge and get stuck.
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Jul 2014 - Sep 2019
Total Petrol: 662.2L
ODO: 51803
Av Consumption: 1.25 L/100km

Squiggles

Code Help

Post by Squiggles » Sun, 03 Oct 2010, 02:34

I'll second the nomination for subversion. It can be used for all your files. Also good for projects with multiple contributors.
I have it running on my Linux server and colleagues have access to it via the internet....damned good thing!