Auto journalism and fake news

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
Nagaman

Auto journalism and fake news

Post by Nagaman »

An interesting article on financial pressure the publishing industry is under and it’s declining credibility: https://fullycharged.show/blog/bribery- ... -industry/
drlizau
Groupie

Re: Auto journalism and fake news

Post by drlizau »

An interesting read. Any gift alters the relationship between the giver and receiver, because of a need to reciprocate. The size of the gift does not matter, so even if you are fuming that some auto journalists get "free" cars, the gift could be much smaller and have an equal influence on the quality of the reporting.
I see that "Drive" which gets a place at the bottom of my rural newspapers web page almost always is mentioning electric vehicles in a positive light. I don't think that anyone is paying them to promote EVs.
This leads me to the thought.... are we inviting motoring journalists to AEVA events?
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
jonescg

Re: Auto journalism and fake news

Post by jonescg »

drlizau wrote: Mon, 11 Oct 2021, 10:31
This leads me to the thought.... are we inviting motoring journalists to AEVA events?
We have invited them in the past, but usually it's not up to the journalist, it's up to their editor as to whether they attend or not. Plus, when we hold an event it's our thing, and journos don't like that. They'd rather they had the exclusive. Nothing too out of the ordinary, just the cutthroat industry that is infotainment these days.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.