AEVA Members: your Forum Login (here) is NOT the same as your new AEVA member login.
You do not need to change your existing Forum login.

Nuclear power for Australia

Introductions, general chit chat and off-topic banter.
jonescg

Nuclear power for Australia

Post by jonescg »

I simply can't see it happening. For a number of reasons, but one that seems less obvious is the sheer enormity of the nuclear energy ecosystem.

This musing was inspired by a Youtube channel called Periodic Table of Videos, where a chemistry professor (Prof. Martyn Poliakoff) does really entertaining videos on the chemical and physical properties of various chemicals. They also do tours of scientific and research facilities, including this one of the nuclear research reactor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99C051arMo Being a chemistry graduate myself I really recommend you set aside a few hours and enjoy these very entertaining and informative productions.

It struck me how resource intensive, and infrastructure intensive the entire nuclear industry is. From mining the ore to enriching the uranium isotopes, and the highly specific bits of equipment required to make the whole system function, let alone thrive...

And I thought, there is no way Australia could ever afford to dedicate so many resources to a nuclear energy ecosystem. The costs are astronomical, the skilled workers would be thin on the ground, and the time it takes to build all of them up, let alone get them to work seamlessly with each other.

And the suggestion that 'small modular reactors' are the solution is even more laughable - the concept of a small, barge-fitted reactor which can be towed from China, Russia or the USA to Australia and plugged into the grid. As the reactor cools down a replacement is towed in and it is swapped out. All seems good and well, and very expensive. Not to mention the reliance of our entire electricity network on an external nation state to produce reactors for us!

I think they are kidding themselves with these expensive, fanciful distractions...
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

brunohill
Groupie

Re: Nuclear power for Australia

Post by brunohill »

Perhaps they should install a nuclear reactor in the area that I live as the local council has just rejected their 3rd application for a solar farm in the area based on environmental grounds??? ???
Council also claimed " The proposal would not produce a net community benefit or sustainable development for present or future generations".
We are so blessed to have such well informed leaders.

lopezjm2001
Groupie

Post by lopezjm2001 »

Didn’t think councillors get party political donations?
2016 BMW i3 94AH
13.08 Batt.Kapa.max 29.7 kWh

brunohill
Groupie

Post by brunohill »

Yeh, They're good. I had not heard of this one before... ...
Lake Island Effect: " The Lake Island Effect hypothesises that birds may mistake solar panels for water, causing them to be injured. The Tribunal questioned whether there is sufficient evidence to support the Lake Island Effect and decided in this case, the effect would be minimal."
I was wondering why I was always getting ducks stuck in my down pipes.

That is nearly as good as the fellow I heard interviewed on the ABC radio who concluded that he found no dead birds under the wind turbines because the farmer had trained the cows to eat them.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

brunohill wrote:
Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 20:43
That is nearly as good as the fellow I heard interviewed on the ABC radio who concluded that he found no dead birds under the wind turbines because the farmer had trained the cows to eat them.
Ooooooookaaaaaay... :o

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jonescg wrote:
Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 21:25
brunohill wrote:
Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 20:43
Ooooooookaaaaaay... :o
Must have been vegetarian duck ... or maybe vegan, then the vegetarian cows can eat them because they would be safe and free from harmful radicals, free or otherwise :roll:

Never let stupidity get in the way or wasting a shitte load of money on feasibility studies, Snowy 2.0 is a prime example. Anyone who has ever worked there could have told then straight up it could never be a reality and the construction costs would eat all of the surplus and the pollie pension fund (one is real, the other a figment of a treasurers imagination, see if you can pick which is which) yet they gave a few mates a bucket load of cash to write a fancy report that will get buried until it reaches the shredder ...... Do I sound a tad cynical about our govts future energy solving solutions? Buying ships full of CNG from overseas rather than telling their mates they can't keep shipping it out from Australia is clearly smart economic thinking ...

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

This reminds me of something I read in the lead-up to Brexit; the UK is going to have to develop an entire nuclear safety/monitoring/maintenance standard and testing/certification process to support their nuclear power plants. They used EU-certified staff and processes before. We would have to do the same thing in Australia but start from scratch.

Whenever someone mentions nuclear I point out that even if it was agreed to build a nuclear power station tomorrow, we wouldn't see a single Wh of energy generated from nuclear in the next 10 years. To be honest there are many nuclear power plants overseas that have been under construction for at least that length of time, but it's make extra difficult due to the fact we would first have to create an industry - a highly regulated one - around it as well.

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

And with the current global economic downturn, I reckon the global flow of money will grind to a halt. About the only thing we can hope is that translates into a drop in emissions...

mikedufty

Post by mikedufty »

Could possibly be done faster if we decided we needed to be self sufficient in nuclear weapons first, that seems to make a huge difference to funding and motivation and regulations.

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jonescg wrote:
Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 16:06
And with the current global economic downturn, I reckon the global flow of money will grind to a halt. About the only thing we can hope is that translates into a drop in emissions...
That might effect the sales of Corona and slow the spread of the Corona Virus ...... just keeping up the bird eating cows theme :lol:

But seriously, as soon as someone figures how to sell sun light and wind, they will lobby the govt to go all out for wind and solar and after it is established and the public reliant on it, they will add an excise tax to bring it into world parity and so it brings in the same revenue as petrol and diesel does now. You think that sounds ridiculous, look at what they did with Autogas, a waste product from crude oil catalytic cracking at the refinery that produces very little carbon monoxide and a greatly reduced level of hydrocarbons when burnt, they taxed the hell out of it till no one was using it and killed the profit bit that kept the local refineries viable ..... Now we are expected to pay around $1/ltr for something they sold off shore at cents per ltr originally.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn