Davids EV on the road

For South Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
drowe67
Groupie

Davids EV on the road

Post by drowe67 »

Hi Guys,

On Monday my EV moved for the first time, and since then I have taken it for a few test drives around the block. I still can't quite believe that it backed out of the garage under it's own power! Rather than the EV grin I have the "EV stunned disbelief" look :-)

Some amusing bugs were (i) it ran backwards for a while as I had the motor wiring wrong and (ii) it made a hell of a noise until I realised wheels work better with wheel nuts tightened!

For pictures and info I have a draft evalbum entry.

On Thursday my local mechanic will give it the once over to make sure there are no little details I have missed (and check for minor defectable items). Before I started this project I was pretty green on the mechanical side so I want him to check that I put everything back together OK.

I have checked the height requirements and I am just 10mm too low at the back despite the extra 190kg (7 Optima D31's) in the boot. Looks kinda mean that low, actually :-) Maybe 1-2 less batteries could avoid the need for new springs? Need to think about it, trade off is range of course.

Still lots of little things to work on, will have a go at Regency in a few weeks.

Cheers,

David
Last edited by drowe67 on Wed, 13 Aug 2008, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
CometBoy
Groupie

Davids EV on the road

Post by CometBoy »

Congratulations David!

Well done!

Cheers

Bruce

ev1
Noobie

Davids EV on the road

Post by ev1 »

YAY. well done
how exciting Image

Dickson. Image
snakattak
Noobie

Davids EV on the road

Post by snakattak »

Congratulations David
Great looking compact. perfect for the metro hassle. Good luck at Regency, by the look of your workmanship and attention to detail they should send you on your way successfully!
Look forward to seeing it on the road. (Will it have a nice magnetic sign on the sides with a clue to it's source of power?)
Cheers, Mike

Adelaide EV Events Calendar is here: http://tinyurl.com/6yumy6
drowe67
Groupie

Davids EV on the road

Post by drowe67 »

Thanks guys. Re signs I would like to change the "16V EFI" along the side to "144V Electric". Not sure how to do this professionally, maybe a spray painter or sign writer?

Cheers,

David
Last edited by drowe67 on Thu, 14 Aug 2008, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Goombi

Davids EV on the road

Post by Goombi »

Well done -- here we have another bandit that is denying the government to make 56c profit a liter from petrol good one need more like you.

PS i am using sealed agm batteries in my barina suzuki and the configutation is much the same as your Charade. I am told I have to place a firewall over the batteries while driving or at charge up
Any info?
drowe67
Groupie

Davids EV on the road

Post by drowe67 »

Goombi wrote: PS i am using sealed agm batteries in my barina suzuki and the configuration is much the same as your Charade. I am told I have to place a firewall over the batteries while driving or at charge up
Any info?

Re firewall you mean sealing batteries and/or venting? I found a clause in the Information Bulletin 74 "Containment of Wet Cell Batteries" section that says "fully sealed ..... batteries need not comply with this section". The Venting of Battery Compartments section also says "gases given off by normal battery operation".

AGMs are fully sealed (it's stamped all over my batteries) and give off no gases under normal operation.

I also spoke to a gentleman at Regency who gave me a verbal that the requirements for sealing/ventilation do not apply to fully sealed batteries such as mine.

However like so many things it probably comes down to the inspector on the day. Worst case is I can always rig up a sealed compartment in the back if required. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Fingers Crossed :-)

Cheers,

David
drowe67
Groupie

Davids EV on the road

Post by drowe67 »

Just an update. Yesterday my mechanic fixed a few little problems like some brake work (worn in the ICE donor), and a split CV boot.   Guess in a 1991 donor car some wear and tear is expected.

Remarkably I only messed up one thing - I damaged a drive shaft oil seal when removing/re-installing the gearbox, which was leaking transmission fluid. These are fairly delicate and I was (am) rather inexperienced mechanically. Anyway if that's the worst I have done I am happy and it was easily fixed.

One other problem was discovered - the clutch is slipping under acceleration, especially in 3rd gear (where the torque is greater). It makes a nasty burning smell and a squealing sound. It wasn't slipping in the ICE but I guess even my little electric motor puts a little more torque thru it.

So now I have to drop the motor/adaptor plate/flywheel clutch assembly out again........although I think I can do it from below and leave the gearbox and battery racks in place. Actually much easier than an ICE to work on.

So anyone doing a conversion on an older car - good idea to check the clutch out (or get some one to check it out). Much easier to fix while you have the gearbox/motor out of the car!

Cheers,

David