Where are all the SA EV heads?

For South Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
DVR
Groupie

Post by DVR »

WHERE HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN all these months????
I cant believe e that I've finally found like minded people here in little old Adelaide YAHOOO.

My name is Shane and I'm in Andrews Farm. I've been researching converting my 06 VIVA for about 6 months now and making a pain of myself on the DIYEV forum. I was feeling pretty darn lonely thinking that I had to go to WA or NSW to meet EVer's. I'll be watching this post and hopefully see you all at the next meeting.
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Hi Shane, I am from Angle Vale.

Yes, there are others out there. They just need a little ecouragement to come out of hiding!

I want to do an electric conversion on a high performance quad. Fossile burning donks are shocking when it comes to reliability. My fears came true recently when I cooked a motor at a desert race in Alice Springs. This has made me more determined to do a electric conversion.

Let us know how you are going with your project.

John.
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

mate, what are the chances of coming up to see your car in progress? i've only seen completed cars or combustion engines...

Thanks again to Brad for hooking up the Peter O conversion inspection! that was great mate!

Don.
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

i'm still looking for a cheap porsche if anyone see's one around!!

preferably 944/924 with any condition engine;) if you spot one let me know!
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

if anyone's interested in purchasing a netgain (warp) motor.. let me know as if i can get an order of 3 or more (mine + 2), we should be able to get a nice discount.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Could be Don....

What price are you looking at?

Also just out of interest what controller are you going with??

Cheers

Bruce

PS Can I suggest we start another topic on current projects in SA, I can start it off if you want....
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

yeah man.. i just started another thread.. i hope to use the zeva controller.. but in lieu of that actually being developed i'll probably go a kelly.. i've heard mixed reviews... but i can't wait half a year for a zilla (nor do i want to fork out for one!), and i don't like the 2khz whine of the curtis'
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

as for price.. i'll get back to you! - which one were you interested in?
DVR
Groupie

Post by DVR »

DON I haven't started yet, I'm still researchingImage . I'm working towards probably starting late October or November.
ev1
Noobie

Post by ev1 »

hi guys,
great to see all the activity on the forum Image
It was nice to meet a few of you at the ATA meeting on tuesday night!!
i would like some feed back from you guys regarding incorporating the AEVA in SA....
The response at the meeting was encouraging, i think it would be good to see a branch in Adelaide.....
a possibility is to next meet on the 6th of August at the duke of Brunswick(Gilbert street).
what are your thoughts???
Dickson.
DVR
Groupie

Post by DVR »

If it's at all possible I'd prefer it not to be on a Wednesday night at I cant make it on Wednesdays, but I'm a noob so go with the majority
71monaro
Noobie

Post by 71monaro »

The Wednesday is good for me.
MX5 with Prius AC motor and SemiKron inverter
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

ev1 wrote:i think it would be good to see a branch in Adelaide.....

Hi Dickson, and welcome to our forum.

A number of us have been discussing this issue, both here on the forum, and by e-mail. Most of the expressed opinions (I can't comment on those that weren't expressed Image ) seem to be questioning the value of incorporating anything.

Incorporation is a hassle, particularly for the person doing the paperwork and organising all the hoops OCBA insist's one jump through. From the perspective of one who has done it all before in a couple of other places, personally I can't see any benefit in our doing so. What can we achieve as an incorporated body that we can't achieve as a group of interested individuals helping each other out?

I'll be a little blunt here, and apologise in advance if any offense is taken - it really isn't intended but we'll end up talking at cross purposes if I beat around the bush. I can see very clearly how the title "Chairman - SAEVA" would look good on your company paperwork, but enhancing your sales pitch isn't in and of itself a good enough reason to incorporate an association.

That said, I have no problem at all with what you are doing in your company.

I'm not totally against Incorporation all together, but the cost / benefit analysis has to stack up. For most of us at least, it would seem to be all cost and no benefit right now... We can keep on meeting, discussing, planning etc without the overhead of Board meetings and OCBA compliance reporting.

Glen
ReVolt
Noobie

Post by ReVolt »

Hi Dickson,

Can't speak for anyone else in the forum, but personally would like to see it remain amateur for the forseeable future and retain that 'recreational' feel about it. To most of us its an interest, a passion, and worthwhile hobby, but for you, I guess its a business venture, so I think we're at cross purposes here.

Can I ask why you see the need to incorporate, and so soon?
Cheers
Peter
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

Don wrote: i'm still looking for a cheap porsche if anyone see's one around!!

preferably 944/924 with any condition engine;) if you spot one let me know!

Hey Don, a mate of mine has a car dealers license and runs a part time business scouring all the wholesale outlets aust wide for particular vehicles for clients. I've not bough from him myself, but I believe he charges a flat $300 for the searching, and will then give you the wholesale price of whatever he finds if you want it.

Do you want me to pass on your details to him? He's a straight up guy, not at all like your typical used car salesman Image ...

Regards,

Glen
ev1
Noobie

Post by ev1 »

reasons to incorporate AEVA,
1. a body to communicate with government to pave the way for wider use of EVs, how..charging stations, rebates, discount for registration, asking the office of the technical regulator to allow EVs to be charged from J tarif (off peak).
2 if there is no one representing EV drivers governments my introduce road tax for EVs to compensate for not recieving their fuel tax as has happened overseas..
3 EV 'show days' to educate general public about EVs and their benifits.
4 pooling of knowledge motivation and skills, mostly can be done on internet forum however surely a little face to face can only be positive.
I can ensure you i have a load of passion for the environment and EVs, i am sorry if i have given you the wrong impression that i want to be state chairman at all cost, simply i have a lot of energy to give to this cause.
I will more than likely be interstate more than in SA over the next 6 months so would love to see someone else take on the committee roles.
The AEVA forum is great for EV builers but what about us who drive an EV everyday(i hope this will include you soon)..... there is alot more we would like to be achieved and are frustrated that it seems nothing can be done...
kind regards Dickson.
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

ev1 wrote: reasons to incorporate AEVA,
Do you want to incorporate a National or a State body? Seems like a stupid question I know, but it does make a difference.

Although the website states that the AEVA was incorporated in 1973, my search of the ASIC site a few moments ago reveals that no such name exists. "Australian Electric Vehicle" exists as a trading name in NSW, but there is no Association according to ASIC.

Now, if you have been clever enough to notice this already, and you want to incorporate a NATIONAL body to lobby both Federal and State levels of Government, then I am 100% in agreement with you. You would probably have to come up with a new name - even if AEV isn't an Association, it does exist as a trading name registered to somebody? If on the other hand, you meant a State level association, then I must respectfully disagree.
ev1 wrote:1. a body to communicate with government...
The job of a national association with broader membership and more clout.

I am the Chairman of a State based organisation that sought assistance from Minister Conlon. Even though we represented by direct membership about 1500 South Australian households, had all the media behind us, and received significant behind the scenes support from individual members of parliament and even the staff in the Minister's office, we got absolutely nowhere. 3000 odd votes (based on average 2 per household) isn't significant enough to get the time of day.

Now you want to form an association of a dozen or so enthusiasts to lobby Government? You have to be kidding!
ev1 wrote:2 if there is no one representing EV drivers governments my introduce road tax for EVs to compensate for not recieving their fuel tax as has happened overseas..
The RAA was formed for EXACTLY that purpose, they have a phenomenally larger membership (ie voting clout) than you could ever dream of achieving, and last time I checked, they don't discriminate between drivers on the basis of their choice of fuel. I have no science to back this up, but my suspicion is that one member contacting the RAA over issues of EV policy would have a far better chance of moving Government than would the whole bunch of us knocking on the Minister's door.
ev1 wrote:3 EV 'show days' to educate general public about EVs and their benifits.
4 pooling of knowledge motivation and skills, mostly can be done on internet forum however surely a little face to face can only be positive.
Don't need an Association to do either of these things. In fact, by golly, I think we already are!! Image

Please don't get me wrong here, I have no problem at all with what you are advocating - It's just I don't believe a State Association is the best way of achieving it.

Just keep on plugging away Dickson, we will all get there in the end...

Regards,

Glen
Rodney
Noobie

Post by Rodney »

Hi my is Rodney, I have just registered with this website. I have had an interest in EVs for many years. I am currently a Maths, Physics and Technology teacher, following a 10 year career as an Electronic Design Engineer.

I currently own a Registered SWEI SW0008 Electric scooter, and I am in the pre-design stage of a Motorbike EV conversion.

Plans are very fluid at this stage, however it goes something like this:
Donor Vehicle: New SACHS 150KN motorcycle.
Motor: PERM PMG-132 13.2KW 72V PM DC motor (Maybe two of them).
Controller: Kelly KHD09401 96V 220A Programmable DC controller with Regeneration.
Energy storage: Most likely 24 Thundersky LFP series 3C 90AH LiFePO4 cells. Although A123 systems now have 30C 2.3AH nano tech LiFePO4 available for experimentation http://www.buya123systems.com/prdeki.html
Performance:
GUESStimted range 85Km at 60Km/Hr (70% depth of discharge).
Speed 80+ Km/Hr at 90% DOD (Geared for acceleration, potentially 110Km).
Acceleration 0 to 60Km/Hr in 8 seconds (3.5 sec twin motor design) with 100Kg Rider.
Design Life: 200,000 Km, if the bike lasts that long.

I hope to catch up with other SA EVrs at the next meet.
Cheers.
Current EVs:

Mitsubishi i MiEV MY12.
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Hi Rodney, great to see more people getting into the swing of things. Your project sounds very interesting. I am dreaming of a similar sort of thing for a race quad. It should be in the electric racing section of this forum. Have a look if your interested as I have no idea about the electronic side of things but can tune suspension and design the chassis side of things with ease.

Cheers. John.
sevenofnine
Noobie
MSN: flutterby_kath@hotmail.com

Post by sevenofnine »

I'd love to rock along to the next meeting, if someone could point me in the direction of details (time/place - I believe it's set for 6th August?).
Big Paul
Noobie
MSN: paulrees@internode.on.net

Post by Big Paul »

Hi folks,
Just joined up as im contemplating an EV conversion for the next vehicle. Live down south.

Regards,
Paul
In the research stage
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

Where about down south? :)
Big Paul
Noobie
MSN: paulrees@internode.on.net

Post by Big Paul »

Morphett Vale - 1 suburb over from Nick (Adelaide Z Cars)
In the research stage
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

nice one.

i'm in o'halloran hill... it's good to see some southies getting interested in EV's
Nick
Noobie

Post by Nick »

Hello Sevenofnine,

In response to your question of where the next SA AEVA meeting is.
Details for the following event have changed:

AEVA inaugural meeting - Confirmed
Wed Aug 6 7:30pm – 10:30pm
(Timezone: Central Time - Adelaide)
207 Gilbert St. Adelaide SA 5000 (map)
Calendar:

The inaugural meeting to re-establish the SA chapter of the Australian Electric Vehicle Association will be held in the upstairs conference room of the Duke of Brunswick Hotel: dukeofbrunswick.com.au
Please bookmark this calendar as future AEVA meeting details will appear here.
This calendar will also announce other EV events in Adelaide/SA.

Regards
Nick King
SA Electric Vehicle
Conversions nick@adelaidezcars.com.au
08 83848748
Adelaide Z Cars