Where are all the SA EV heads?

For South Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

heya, if you're on facebook check out the new SAEV group

http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php ... 5233113288

see you friday!
ReVolt
Noobie

Post by ReVolt »

Hi SAEV'rs,

The one engine per wheel idea is the best system and was demonstrated by Ferdinand Porsch in Paris? back in about 1900 at a World Fair. Check out the PML Flightlink website with their Hi-Pa drive http://www.pmlflightlink.com/motors/hipa_drive.html and this appears to be the path that Volvo are taking.

Its VERY Expensive as the motors are IP65 rated and have controller built into each motor. There is about 90% efficiency for this direct drive system compared to 15 - 30% for ICE. See you all Friday.
Cheers
Peter
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

Hi guys,

I am planning on getting there, the Oxford on O'Connell Street, at around 6:00pm. I will bring a mini witches hat to identify our table, unless someone else has anything symbolic to bring!
It might also be a good idea to think of what we, collectively and individually, want to get out of these meets? Social or Otherwise, I believe it will be a good start to meet and great!

See you there,
Brad.
Bradley
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Good idea Brad, with the witches hat and all. Would be funny with us all floating around not knowing who is who. Looking forward to meeting you all at the table with the witches hat.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Hi all....

Just found this great SA forum!

I am also interested in a DIY EV project and would like to be included in your group if possible? I am an electronics guy that was involved in the original Flinders University Electric car project away back when (I think the car or maybe the van is up at Birdwood?). I also have restored numerous vintage cars along the way as well. I am interested in modifying a light small car to provide a limited 50 Km range. My main concerns are not technical as much as dealing with the Motor Rego Department! My experiences have not been good and I think paying big dollars for engineering reports etc will be the end of my proposed idea...

Bruce
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

Come along friday!

From what i've heard, if you don't alter the safety elements, rego don't have a problem... do you have a copy of bulletin 74?
There are also some national standards to conform to (dedicated 12v acc battery, batteries in seperate sealed compartment etc) which i also have.. if you'd like a copy let me know your email.

Don.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Thanks Don

I would love a copy of what you have; I went through this about 3 years ago and gave it away in frustration. Let’s hope some common sense prevails now.

I will contact Motor Registration before tomorrow night and see what the current view is. I was planning on using a donor vehicle that is currently in Rego. (Something like the well known MightyBoy project). As I understand it you need to get approval in principal in SA before starting but maybe this has also changed?

Thanks Again

Bruce

Bruce.White@flinders.edu.au
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

Hi guys, was great to catch up tonight!

I heard from Dixon (who was on Today Tonight a few days ago), and he's organising a meeting at the Tower Hotel on the 8th of July... he should have some good info on registering (which seemed to be a big topic tonight), so come along!
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Hey all. It was great catching up and meeting you all. I think a very good turnout for our first ever meeting and lots of good ideas.

A fast quad is still a worthy project but all these car projects have also got me thinking. One small problem with doing a car conversion is that the car is out of date real soon but the conversion lasts a long time. On the way home I feel that a car conversion is also on the cards for me but I will be aiming at possibly converting an old cruiser. Something that has stood the test of time and will look good for years to come. Some of the old cars look big and heavy but in fact are fairly light as thay do not run things like ABS, Air bags etc. My Valiant Koop weighs in at 1,400kg which is lighter than it looks. There are lots of nice older cars out there that would be great candidates.

Any hoo. Great to meet you all and looking forward to our next meeting.

John.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Image You guy know about this?

I am proud to announce the first meeting of the reformed Australian Electric Vehicles Association of South Australia (AEVA).

The first meeting will be in association with the Alternative Technology Association (ATA) at the Tower hotel -function room from 7.30pm Tuesday July 8th.

John Maitland (energy architecture) will present from 7.30, then I will make a presentation from approx. 8.30.

I am volunteering as chairperson and on the night am hoping to fill the positions of treasurer and secretary......

The meeting is open to any interested people; please feel free to tell a friend.

I look forward to meeting you.

Dickson Beattie. ph 0412959847.

Also John check this utube link!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0&NR=1

The MightyBoy EV conversion mods are now waiting for Motor Reg approval in principal. I ended up using the Advanced DC Motor Model 203-06-4001 (72 Volt) with a Curtis 1231C Motor Speed Controller. Technical specifications for the Advanced DC Motor Model 203-06-4001 (72 Volt) are available at http://www.evmotors.com.au/products/8inch.html. Technical specifications for the Curtis 1231C Motor Speed Controller are available at http://www.bylongind.com.au/products/in ... -1231C.htm# . For a gross vehicle weight of 950kg should do just fine….

Cheers all

Bruce

CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Image Sorry Don I see you have posted about this earlier!!!!!!!!!!!
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

CometBoy wrote: Image You guy know about this?

I am proud to announce the first meeting of the reformed Australian Electric Vehicles Association of South Australia (AEVA).

... I am volunteering as chairperson and on the night am hoping to fill the positions of treasurer and secretary......

Where was this posted? I would have thought an (S)AEVA group launch might have been launched in ... oh .. perhaps the SA forum on the AEVA site?

Also, if things are going to get formal (and I for one am not completely sure that is the best thing anyway), you need "rules" to define who can volunteer to be the chief sugar daddy, and on what terms. And those rules need to be approved by, and lodged with the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (with the appropriate fee of course!), BEFORE they can be voted on at a public meeting to bring the association into being. I've done all this before (and am not particularly keen to do it all again just now), and what seems to have been proposed above isn't how it's done...

Edit: For anyone really interested...
How to Incorporate an Association
Last edited by pcal on Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

I have no idea what’s going on!

Rod from Strath Steam in Goolwa (the electric car guy down there) forwarded the email about the meeting and asked if I was going??? First I’ve heard about it....

Thought you guys would know.
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

I think it would be interesting to see what's been happening without any promoting on expected sites,(i.e.-this one). But, hey, Why hold back progress!
Bradley
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

Oh, by all means go along and see what technical stuff has been going on - no problems there.

But if your idea of progress involves doing battle with the OCBA for not following their current interpretation of their most recent revision of the process that someone must have thought was a good idea at some point in history, well good luck to you Image You think that Motor Reg is beurocratic? Image

Last time round, I lost over a month having to justify a variation to a standard rule to one OCBA droid, when the variation in question had been written and imposed by one of his compatriots!
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

Hey guys, Don here...

i originally posted that after a facebook convo with Dickson (who was on Today Tonight this month with his getz conversion business).

I told him that there were already people meeting in a non-formal manner (perhaps why he eludes to 'reformed' SAEVA... personally, i like SAEV (kinda sounds like 'save'... as in 'save money', 'save the environment'... etc)... but that's just me ;)

I know the other guy you mentioned is pretty well known in the energy efficient housing industry, but past that i don't know anything about either of them... what i AM keen to see happen is the EV industry (commercial and private) gain wide acceptance and i'm quite sure strong networking between 'enthusiasts' is a good way forward.

Don.
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

and i agree... this is probably the place to do it! hahah
Nick
Noobie

Post by Nick »

Hello To you all,
I have just signed up and am looking forward to the meeting, it will be great to be meetup with like minded people,
I hope to be bring along an Electrical Engineering friend of mine

FYI

We have just registered our business
"SA Electric Vehicle Conversions"    (all input appreciated)

Regards
Nick King
SA Electric Vehicle
Conversions nick@adelaidezcars.com.au
08 83848748
Adelaide Z Cars
CometBoy
Groupie

Post by CometBoy »

Good luck with it Nick!

BTW Just watched the movie/documentary “Who killed the Electric Car?” the story about General Motors lovely EV1 vehicle. If you haven’t seen it do so! (For you computer guys, there is a bit torrent for the movie or failing that contact me if you can’t find or download it and I will give you the DVD).

Cheers

Bruce
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

pcal wrote:
CometBoy wrote: Image You guy know about this?

... I am volunteering as chairperson and on the night am hoping to fill the positions of treasurer and secretary......

Where was this posted? I would have thought an (S)AEVA group launch might have been launched in ... oh .. perhaps the SA forum on the AEVA site?

Also, if things are going to get formal (and I for one am not completely sure that is the best thing anyway), you need "rules" to define who can volunteer to be the chief sugar daddy, and on what terms. And those rules need to be approved by, and lodged with the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (with the appropriate fee of course!), BEFORE they can be voted on at a public meeting to bring the association into being. I've done all this before (and am not particularly keen to do it all again just now), and what seems to have been proposed above isn't how it's done...

Edit: For anyone really interested...
How to Incorporate an Association

Your right, you cannot have one person to fill the role of chair, sec and treasurer. All that kind of buisso needs the formal hooha to go with it. I am suspect of people who want to jump at all official positions at once. Could be genuine enthusiasm (great) or control freak syndrome (avoid like poison). Still, let's see what is on the table.
Has anyone contacted this person? Does he know of our little meeting?
The informal meeting we had at the oxford was great. Everyone I talked to seemed genuine enough. Would hate to see the vibe killed by some control freak. Same thing happened to the electric car Image .
Mark T
Groupie

Post by Mark T »

If you guys are planing another meeting I could add it to the New Branch list in the National AEVA Newsletter. I just need a date place and contact name and phone number.
Hard to believe but not everyone is on the net.
Mark
71monaro
Noobie

Post by 71monaro »

I will see all you guys Tuesday Night

We are doing an MX5 with Prius AC motor at Adelaide Uni.

rgds Warren

http://groups.to/allelectriccityvehicleproject
MX5 with Prius AC motor and SemiKron inverter
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

any reports from anyone who went down last night?

my wife was sick and i couldn't get there.

Don.
mjcrow
Groupie

Post by mjcrow »

Hi Don,

It was a pretty packed house, seemed quite a few people there for the EV's, but not many of us from the previous "pub" meeting. The information about the Getz (Blade Electric Vehicles) was good, with lots of questions being asked.

There is going to be another EV only meeting in a couple of weeks, I asked Dickson if he could post the details here once it's organised.

Michael
Nick
Noobie

Post by Nick »

There seemed to be a large turnout for the meeting, as it was combined with the ATA it was a bit hard to gauge, The first half of the meeting was taken with an interesting talk about the design of an Echo friendly house in the Adelaide CBD followed immediately by Dixon and Ross From Blade EV presenting the Blade EV Hyundi.
Dixon gave a brief overview of the proposed SA AEVA
Dixon collected all interested parties email addresses for the purpose of advising us all of the next meeting and I assume to canvas for interest in the committee postions
The Blade Runner ev was on display for all to see out in the car park.
I found it interesting and great to meet like minded people
Regards
Nick King
SA Electric Vehicle
Conversions nick@adelaidezcars.com.au
08 83848748
Adelaide Z Cars