Where are all the SA EV heads?

For South Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Are there any people interested in EV's in SA? Come on, let's hear from you all. Image
mjcrow
Groupie

Post by mjcrow »

I've only just become an AEVA member and have been wondering the same thing, I am assuming there isn't a SA branch? (Yet!)
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

So there at least two of us interested in this. Image
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

Image Hi,
I just joined the association today, after a week of intense researching, interested in firstly meeting other enthusiasts and seeing thier cars, and then trying a project converting a family car/ ute myself.

I am interested and enthused by most of the discussion topics on this site and am interested in forming a local group to take on some of the ideas propsed here.

So, leave some more discussion here and lets see what we can do. Image
Bradley
ReVolt
Noobie

Post by ReVolt »

Hi SA EVers,

How many do we need to start something? Still in the planning stage and will be be for some months. Does anyone have a doner vehicle yet, or a project under way?

I'm an Electrician, but very new to this concept.
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

Hi ReVo,

We might as well start something, how about next weekend?

Leave me some details at - bchortin@hotmail.com

Regards, Brad
Bradley
ReVolt
Noobie

Post by ReVolt »

Hi Brad,

What do you have in mind for next weekend? I see you're off Clayson Rd and I'm off Waterloo Cnr Rd. Have you had a response form any of the other SA folk at this stage?

Do you have a doner car, or are you still in early planning stage?
Cheers
Peter
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

Yes, I'm still in the early researching/ planning stage of the project. But, I have some big ideas/ hopes! I had made contact with an EV'er who has a conversion and was hopefully going to check out his vechile. If you're interested, maybe you could tag along?

The biggest thing at the moment for me to overcome will be the finances. I guess it gives me plenty of time to do my research properly?
Send me an e-mail and we'll go from there.
Bradley
franky
Noobie

Post by franky »

Hi all

Just joined & not sure I hadn't noticed this group sooner. Been researching EV conversion on-&-off for last 12 months & am based in the Adelaide Hills.

Was inspired by the stuff the Strath Steam guys (Rod Muller) had done but really want a 4-5 seater performance car that can travel at least 150km between charges (0-100k in less than 10 secs would be good!)

Let me know if there are plans to maybe meet in the near future at a central location so as to discuss pooling of resources/ideas
ReVolt
Noobie

Post by ReVolt »

Hi Franky,
Welcome. Have also seen what the Strath boys have done and like you I prefer a family sized car with A/C and heating etc, so this will all take a lot more cash. They were very friendly and helpful guys and I take my hat off to these pioneers.

Brad (Salisbury) has suggested we meet also, but am not sure who's responded to him so far.

What are your prefs from your research - AC or DC?
Cheers
Peter
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

Hi Boys,

Now seems to be the time to start doing something in the world of EV's, so someone give me a place to meet and I'll have the time!

I'm going to catch up with an EV owner in the Southern suburbs on sunday if anyone else is interested? Otherwise, Lets set another date next saturday afternoon.

Regards, Brad
Bradley
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

Greetings gentlemen,

I've also had a long term interest, but only found this website tonight. $'s and time have always been my limiting factors - but the pressure is building. I'm a sparky by trade, and have 20+ years experience in building automation systems (lifts, doors etc) so the technology isn't my issue...

I'm in the hills too, near Mt Barker, and have a quite good condition Camira sedan in my shed. It has been one of the "good" ones, and had been lovingly kept on the road for a couple of years beyond it economic use by date to be available as a 1st vehicle for my daughter. The engine spat the dummy 2 days after she got her L's... Repairs estimated at about 4 times the market value of the car - but it's in too good condition to just send it to the scrap yard for a hundred bucks!

My goal is a local area run-a-round rather than a down-the-hill commuter (got a company car for that Image ) Looking forward to any cross fertalisation this site might generate...

Regards,

Glen
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Sorry I havent got back sooner. I just finished racing the Finke Desert race at Alice Springs and just got back.

Great to see some response guys. I was starting to lose faith. Image A meeting would be good but I think we should meet central somewhere in Adelaide or a close subburb. Perhaps a pub or cafe in town mid week just to say hello and come up with a few ideas.

Look forward to meeting you all.
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

Hey guys,

i'm doing a conversion and have some really good contacts for very discounted parts!! (batteries in particular!) - nothing exclusive.. i've just done the research!

if you're keen to meet up, i'm down with that... i've got 100+ hours of research behind me, and am ordering parts and picking up my donor vehicle in the next week.

Don.
ReVolt
Noobie

Post by ReVolt »

Hi Don,
Some of us are in the process of arranging a meet. You sound keen and well organised, Where are you in relation to the city - N S E W and what sort of doner vehicle did you have in mind?
Cheers
Peter
Bradel
Noobie

Post by Bradel »

Hi ReVolt, Don, Jmags and pcal,
I would like to propose to have a meet next friday night, 20/06. I don't get out much with a family and would like a recommendation of a place where to meet. Any other friends or associates interested would be welcomed, as I can only see it being beneficial.

Regards,
Bradley
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

Cool! How about the Oxford Hotel, 101 O'connell St, North Adelaide? At say 7pm. Everyone happy with that?

John.
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

sounds good.. i'm down south at O'Halloran Hill
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

Date and place are fine by me, but is there any chance of making it a little earlier? - Right after work would suit me better say 5:30 or 6:00. 7 makes it a bit long to hand around, but not long enough to get home and back again.

Regards,

Glen
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

sounds good.. i reckon 6 should make it enough time for those working in the city to get there.. and those not in the city to make their way in peak hour inbound :)
franky
Noobie

Post by franky »

Hi all

Time & venue are good for me - see you all there this Fri
mjcrow
Groupie

Post by mjcrow »

Time and place sound good to me, count me in Image
Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags »

A few want to meet at 6pm. Is that cool with everyone else?
Don
Noobie

Post by Don »

yep, let's meet at 6, and if you can't make it by then, come when you can, and at least those who work in the city won't be sitting around by themselves :)
pcal
Noobie

Post by pcal »

Hi guys,

I've had a word with another guy from work, Craig, who is also keen to come along. He's one of our tech support gurus in electric motor and control systems - what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing! Apparently he had a landrover he is toying with adapting, with one motor on each wheel!!

Look forward to meeting you all,

Glen