New 500kW Chademo

Post by brendon_m »

For when you need to charge your imiev in 2min flat :D

https://thedriven.io/2020/04/29/new-cha ... ommentform
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: New 500kW Chademo

Post by coulomb »

brendon_m wrote: Thu, 30 Apr 2020, 06:51 For when you need to charge your imiev in 2min flat :D
Nah. It's limited to "only" 600 A (so to get 500 kW you need an 833 V battery). So it will take ~5 minutes!

Assuming of course that your iMiEV was beefed up a bit so it could take 12C.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

5min! Well that's just too long, I can't be waiting around all day you know :roll:
EVdownUnder
Groupie

Post by EVdownUnder »

TooFast.jpg
TooFast.jpg (115.62 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Ceramic blue Kona Highlander - Current stats:
As of 26 October 2020 (13.5 months of ownership)
40'000km at an average speed of 57km/h
126Wh/km from new
Chuq
Groupie

Post by Chuq »

I'll copy what I wrote in the comments on that article, since I think it needs to be said :)
I think that we, as an EV community, need to ensure that this plug standard doesn't make it to Australia. Sounds negative, but hear me out.

Big picture - we need to have as few standards possible. This isn't like fossil fuel cars where there are several different types of fuel - the electricity is the same when it leaves the charging station and the same when it is battery - the difference in plug type is unnecessary.

I can see the benefit of replacing GB/T and Chademo with one single standard, within China/Japan. However we already have a primary standard in Australia - CCS2 - with Chademo being the secondary/legacy one. (We also have CCS1 installs trailing off in the distance).

All changes made to charging infrastructure/vehicles in Australia should gradually result in fewer, not more, plug types. We should see the attempted introduction of this plug type as a signal not to phase out Chademo and phase in ChaoJi, but to phase out Chademo and phase in CCS2.

I say this as an owner of a Nissan Leaf, a car that uses the old Chademo standard - so of course while I am pleased that legacy Chademo vehicles are being looked after with new infrastructure, I expect that at some point there will be CCS2 only fast chargers (like Ionity in Europe) and that this is better for the market overall. Other manufacturers based in countries where CCS2 is not the dominant standard, have understood that vehicles shipped to Australia should have CCS2 - Nissan needs to get on board with this as well.