A MUST WATCH VIDEO - Tilting Trike Action

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Carv'n Marv'n
Groupie

Post by Carv'n Marv'n »

Hi all..

finally got around to putting together a short film of my Tilting Trike in action... hope you enjoy the next 2:30.

https://vimeo.com/41967146

Simon
Williams Electric - Tilting Trikes

gholm
Groupie

Post by gholm »

Nicely shot video, amazing tech and no doubt, a good performing vehicle, but great gales of smokin sh!t, it's ugly.

Seriously and no personal offence intended, with the squared-off industrial pressed -metal battery box, bar-stool-high riding position, and an arse-end that looks like it was lopped off by a chainsaw...goddam Vern, it ain't purty!!

As practical as it may be, it's appearance will put it hard up against the market when compared alongside the offerings of other EV bike makers, and we all know there'll be shedloads of them creeping out of the woodwork soon enough. (read China/India)

Industrial design, where practicality marries beauty, not kicks it in the teeth.

woody

Post by woody »

Great Video.

I like how you show off one of the advantages the trike has - the manoeuvrability and it stays upright when you dismount, I think you need to show off reverse somehow - e.g. when you drop the friend off, back up a hill and do a U-turn. Also show-off the cargo carrying if that's possible.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Carv'n Marv'n
Groupie

Post by Carv'n Marv'n »

Hey forum nuts...

I must state - to start with, that this is a 'proof of concept' - one off build. My aim is to be able to have a vehicle manufactured (a tough task indeed)... but it would not look like the proof of concept. Proffesional motorcycle design engineers and stylists will take the concept and turn it into a true market ready product.

The aim of the video was to demonstrate the concept, and 'show off'. I fully agree, it aint pretty... Once the vehicle has undergone the necessary design improvements, it should be.

...meanwhile - I'll keep working at tit. Sure not an easy game to play.

Simon.

Richo

Post by Richo »

gholm wrote: there'll be shedloads of them creeping out of the woodwork soon enough. (read China/India)

Until they get some good QC in the other countries they can keep them.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

gholm
Groupie

Post by gholm »

Carv'n Marv'n wrote: ... Proffesional motorcycle design engineers and stylists will take the concept and turn it into a true market ready product.

The aim of the video was to demonstrate the concept, and 'show off'. I fully agree, it aint pretty... Once the vehicle has undergone the necessary design improvements, it should be.

I figured as much.
Carv'n Marv'n wrote: ...meanwhile - I'll keep working at tit. Sure not an easy game to play.

Simon.

Agreed. It's a great vision, and you've followed through on it which puts you ahead of 99.99% of the punters.
Best of luck with the coming phase and keep us all posted on how we might help.

woody

Post by woody »

Similar Profile...

(Bike is vapourware, that's a computer rendering...)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Thalass

Post by Thalass »

I have to agree about the looks and riding position, but by the gods this is how you advertise an electric vehicle! I kinda want one, despite the prototype look.

Where were you when the EV1 was being "advertised"? haha

I really hope this thing makes it to production. I was a bit skeptical at first about a trike - tilting or not. But that last scene sold the concept for me. It'll be great as a delivery vehicle, as you were aiming for. And for that role a more agressive posture and looks aren't really needed. The CT-110 is hardly the raciest bike around. Perhaps lowering the seat a bit would be all you need, and paint it red. :P

I really think you're on to something, and while getting your foot in the door with Australia Post will be tricky, i think you might have a chance. Good luck!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Carv'n Marv'n
Groupie

Post by Carv'n Marv'n »

Thanks Thalas.

...I think I got caught up in making it work, and the styling was very much dictated by that - in the end I had to launch into building this because I receieved a small 'arts' grant and there was a deadline to start and end the project. I wish it was pretty.

The next one will be stylin, and geometry sorted 99%. I now have some people on board to help out - but wouldn't mind a fistful of cash to get things going.

The next one will be equiped with speakers, amp and an I-pod jack.

Faz
Groupie

Post by Faz »

Carv'n Marv'n wrote: - but wouldn't mind a fistful of cash to get things going.
Have you looked at Kickstarter?

I'm sure you would find people to fund it. How much cash do you need?

tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger »

Good write up in the local newspaper today Carv'n Marv'n!

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... -news.html
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!

doug
Groupie

Post by doug »

Love the concept. Always wanted a tilting trike.

As far as looks go, its sure no worse than my Stelvio! (Motorcycle designeers in this generation seem to want to design ugly bikes). Luckily, I am an avid Guzzi man, & its great to ride!

Funny, I would love an EV, but not so much a motorcycle: When I get on a bike I like to go on a long ride (further than batteries would take me atm).

regards Doug

ps: I would love a Shaft drive, V twin Diesel bike! Even thought about Diesel heads on a Guzzi bottom end....