Top Gear drive the Leaf & iOn

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Simon

Post by Simon » Tue, 23 Aug 2011, 23:31

8:30 tonight on channel 9 the boys from Top Gear drive the Nissan Leaf & Peugeot iOn... with the now standard plot "we have to push the car because it run out of electricity." Image

edit: If you missed it you can watch it here: http://www.topgear.com/au/tv-show/series-17/episode-6
Last edited by Simon on Wed, 24 Aug 2011, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

htial
Groupie

Post by htial » Wed, 24 Aug 2011, 04:13

I love watching Top Gear...   ...But sometimes they just go too far...   Image
YouTube Channels - "sauvictv" - "mightystreetcars" - "htial1"

Rattrap
Groupie

Post by Rattrap » Wed, 24 Aug 2011, 23:45

I was reading this morning that when Nissan got the Leaf back & downloaded all the travel data it turned out that the top gear team had in fact partially discharged the battery pack just to dramatize the show & to show what happens when an ev runs out of electricity.   I was gobsmacked when that long hair moron made the comment that the EV running out of electricity clearly shows that EV's are not practical & that Hydrogen is the clear answer.   All it really showed was their overall lack of intelligence. That show should be on the comedy channel!

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu, 25 Aug 2011, 02:39

The scary thing is people might actually believe the Hydrogen hype?!!   Image

Now Nissan have installed 2 charge points in Lincoln! Image
Nissan's response to Top Gear? Here, have two charge points/

The UK EV Project publishes first year results and its data shows that recharge time is not the big issue they try to make it.

- Average charge times of just 3 hours
- Typical users only charge every 2nd or 3rd day at home overnight or at work.

photomac
Groupie

Post by photomac » Fri, 26 Aug 2011, 19:28

Hydrogen is a romantic concept that has some interesting developments occurring in the storage department - ceramic "huggers" of H2. But that's just one technical challenge.
I read today an exciting development in solid state capacitor development -
http://www.gizmag.com/solid-state-capacitor/19625/
The Top Gear show was very curious. Clarkson actually liked the LEAF's ride, appointments and hiTech features. He was subdued and measured and "constrained" compared to his normal style I thought. Perhaps aware of "change". He was disappointed in lack of noise. I agree with him - it doesn't have the g-Force acceleration like the $350 000 Lambo' they flaunted at the beginning of the show.
Nissan's LEAF marketing is spot on - it isn't the EV to replace all cars. But most could be and nearly all could be with a plethora of manufacturer designs. Case in point - the quick switch to hybrids by sports car developers in order to be as quick as a Tesla!
As for charging - exactly was that issue with new petrol cars in the country way back when ... history repeats itself Image
Yes,   we can.   Image