News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
moemoke
Groupie

New Australian EV, the Goy GT

Post by moemoke »

Found some pictures of the new Aussie EV in the latest Top Gear magazine
so Googled the name and found this

http://www.goy.com.au/

I haven't had a read of it yet, (I'm supposed to be working!)
but looks ok, I wonder if it will get off the ground, um no, maybe that should be I wonder if it will ever get out of the garage.
They are looking for investors ATM. $997 from 1000 people.

Anyone know of the project?
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.
evric
Site Admin

Post by evric »

The Goy people were at the Canberra EV Festival last year. There is no car yet. They are looking for investers. Does anyone think the car is ugly?
Last edited by evric on Thu, 28 Jan 2010, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
TheConverted
Groupie

Post by TheConverted »

I think the design looks awesome, but;

"•Onboard wind generator - To harness the power of the wind in order to recharge the GOY GT when vehicle is moving."

Am I missing something, or are they crazy?
Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James »

Yes that's crazy. Any power you get from the wind generator is just added to the drag of the car, and therefore requires more power to make the car move.

Exactly the same idea as putting a generator on the non-driven wheels to recharge your batteries while driving.
Squiggles

Post by Squiggles »

I think someone should introduce the ASIC to them, it looks like a dubious business to me. I think we have all seen these types of deals before. AEVA would be well advised to put some distance between themselves and any company that makes such outlandish statements.

Ugly as sin to boot!

edit: because some people can't handle the truth
Last edited by Squiggles on Tue, 16 Mar 2010, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Noobie

Post by Dean »

The slide show has what looks to me, 2 exhaust pipes. Maybe thats for the wind generator expelled air?
Richo

Post by Richo »

exhaust fakeies just what an eV needs Image

Plus the badge logo on the boot looks like the Subaru logo reversed but in green instead of blue.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Squiggles

Post by Squiggles »

Edit: Defamatory.
Last edited by Striker on Mon, 15 Mar 2010, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
woody

Post by woody »

David Goy (a real guy) came to a sydney AEVA meeting and presented.

If he's a con man, he's not going to get very far - he's not slick enough.

He presented himself as (and came across as) the leader of a loose network of designers (including the ford focus? designer) who wanted to better the world through design, and this project was one way to do it.
They're not selling shares, they just want donations to start a not-for-profit - this means greed won't be a motivator for the donors.

The design is "production-ready" but the batteries + drivetrain haven't been selected yet.

I think if public opinion swing toward EVs as much as climate change had, the government might give them some money.

The Sydney branch didn't heckle or anything, but I think the AEVA members are more interested in DIY then donations.

They also noticed the exhaust pipes - they're there because that's what people subconsciously expect to see in a car.

He also came to the Sydney AEVA display day.

cheers,
Woody

PS: These are my own personal observations and are in no way associated with the AEVA. (Just in case Squiggles is setting a precedent!!)
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

the little things like power and torque values not adding up would indicate there isn't an engineer on board yet.

as far as design work goes, AUS$1M won't go far.
getting through crash testing results in at least a few cars being destroyed (and thats if they get it right the first time).

on the upside, a new company means you aren't stuck with the same old management. *cough*holden*cough*

thats not to say someone who is ambitious but lacking in skills can't succeed. Louis Palmer (solar Taxi) did go around the world, though he did have significant help.

within the forums, unless a post is specifically indicated as an official AEVA statment, it is treated as a statement of the poster only. such an official statement would only come from Andrew, Striker, ACMotor, or myself. Thats after being cleared by the national committee first.

aside from the original terms of use everyone agreed to before signing up for the forums and announcements for events, there hasn't been an official statement from the AEVA on the forums.

Matt
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
Tritium_James

Post by Tritium_James »

Yeah, $1M is nowhere near enough. It's all the little annoying things like door handles, windscreen wipers, colour matching the dash plastics and the seat fabrics, that suck down loads of money, time and effort, and nobody thinks about properly in advance. Start throwing in the big-ticket items like crash testing, airbag timing, stability control, cold and hot weather testing, etc, etc and it gets expensive quickly.

As a good example, Tesla spent pretty much the minimum amount you can to get started. Yes, they made mistakes and spent more than strictly necessary (2-speed gearbox for example) but anyone else new is going to make mistakes too. So if someone's proposing to get a new car company off the ground and get a new model to the point where it's in a showroom somewhere, anything less than around $100M isn't really feasible.