Car buyers still want gas guzzlers - GM

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
tassie_tiger
Groupie

Post by tassie_tiger » Fri, 07 Aug 2009, 03:28

US consumers still want to buy big "gas-guzzler" cars and General Motors has to respond to the demand, GM vice-chairman Bob Lutz says in an interview.

Mr Lutz told the Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger that the ailing US auto giant had decided this week to ramp up production of big pick-up trucks and sports utility vehicles in the US because stocks had nearly run bare.

"It remains a fact that the American public buys big, high-consumption cars," he said.

"It is completely wrong to hope that Americans will massively rush to economical vehicles.

"The mass movement towards 'green cars' is only taking place in the media," he added, pointing to "poor" sales of hybrid vehicles, other than the one offered by Japanese rival Toyota, and their small share of market.

GM's challenge was to "meet the tougher emissions standards by 2015 and deliver the whole range of cars that the public wants," Mr Lutz said.

Much of the recovery plan for the US auto industry and government support for cash-strapped GM is based on a shift towards more environmentally-friendly and fuel-efficient vehicles.

The Obama administration has set up tougher new fuel consumption targets, while a government-funded "Cash for Clunkers" program that pays consumers up to $US4500 ($A5356) to trade in a gasoline-guzzler for a more fuel efficient vehicle has spurred sales.

But an attempt to renew the trade-in scheme has hit resistance in the Senate, prompting an effort to push through the additional funding needed to keep it going before legislators break for their summer holidays on Friday.

Mr Lutz, who was born in Switzerland, said GM had worked closely with the Obama administration in setting up the fuel efficiency targets.

But buyers would change only if there was a durable rise in gasoline prices, he underlined.

"The Government faces a dilemma. It wants on the one hand to bring pump prices closer to European levels and therefore introduce more economical cars.

"On the other hand the economy is so fragile that a renewed sudden surge in gasoline prices would have a devastating impact," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0 ... 62,00.html
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri, 07 Aug 2009, 20:40

Hah! Sounds alot like "There just aren't any buyers for the EV1" to me!

Though even here in Canada they only pay $0.93ish for petrol. And that's expensive by USA standards. My email tells me the price of premium petrol at the station I usually buy it has gone up to $1.30+ recently!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

TropicalEV
Groupie

Post by TropicalEV » Tue, 11 Aug 2009, 21:26

Thalass...is that price in usd and per litre or per gallon? We are paying around $1.25 aud per litre for regular ULP here in OZ..
" I haven't failed..I've just found 10,000 ways that it doesn't work" Thomas Edison while inventing the lightbulb

coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb » Tue, 11 Aug 2009, 23:03

One of my local petrol stations has had several attempts at selling unleaded at AU$1.33/litre, starting just after the abolition of Queensland's 8c/litre subsidy. It doesn't seem to last long; the next day it is competitive again.

So I wouldn't be surprised if that is the long term price in the more remote parts of Australia.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

bga

Post by bga » Mon, 17 Aug 2009, 22:39

Isn't Bob Lutz the guy that said "Global warming is a total crock of s**t" in February 2008?

I have some suggestions for new GM models:
T-Rex should appeal to macho image conscious consumers
or the new GM "Bronto" for the SUV customers.
While I'm at it, I'm sure that the distinctive three toe tread pattern could be adopted by GM. It'd lease a lasting impression.

My message to GM in australia is that I'm not going to buy another of their vehicles until the GM Lion stands for Lithium Ion Image

At least Lutz's motvation to reduce dependency on dirty, black, foreign oil is largely compatible with the necessary long term agenda, even if he doesn't see it.

Now's a good time to be coal independent too. PV arrays are very cheap these days, as low as $3 per watt in USA and less than AUD5.00 in here.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 17 Aug 2009, 23:07

TropicalEV wrote: Thalass...is that price in usd and per litre or per gallon? We are paying around $1.25 aud per litre for regular ULP here in OZ..

He would have quoted AUD$/L as he lives in Perth.
Just overseas at the moment.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri, 11 Sep 2009, 22:07

Yeah sorry about that, I missed this thread for a while haha.

The first price was Canadian Dollars per Litre (Moosebucks are about equal with the ozzie dollar), and the second price is AU$ per Litre, and was the price the Fuel Watch email provided for that day in Perth.

I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.