Tesla in Australia

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Squiggles

Tesla in Australia

Post by Squiggles » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 04:31

coulomb wrote:
Richo wrote:So I guess if you live somewhere between Darwin and Adelaide you might get to see the Tesla!

That's if the left-hand-drive issue is resolved before then. As far as I know (and I didn't watch the video), it's still not drivable on Australian roads.

I sometimes wish Japan would switch to left hand drive, which would hopefully trigger the rest of the world, including us, to change as well.

I suppose you will want us to change to Imperial Distance measure as well so the Tesla speedo will be correct Image

coulomb
Site Admin

Tesla in Australia

Post by coulomb » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 05:37

Squiggles wrote: I suppose you will want us to change to Imperial Distance measure as well so the Tesla speedo will be correct Image

You mean maaahls per hour? Certainly not! I'm a certified SI unit!   Image
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.

acmotor

Tesla in Australia

Post by acmotor » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 05:41

ROFL Image
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

Thalass

Tesla in Australia

Post by Thalass » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 08:00

I've tried driving on the wrong side of the road a couple of times while I've been here in Canada... Man it's weird. I kept hurting my left hand every time I tried to change gear: The damn door was in the way! And the worst thing is I was driving an automatic!

Also: Aircraft also drive on the wrong side of the road. The pilot sits on the left of the cockpit. If there's two, then the captain sits on the left.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Squiggles

Tesla in Australia

Post by Squiggles » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 17:43

Thalass wrote:

Also: Aircraft also drive on the wrong side of the road. The pilot sits on the left of the cockpit. If there's two, then the captain sits on the left.

Which way do they go around roundabouts?
Last edited by Squiggles on Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

acmotor

Tesla in Australia

Post by acmotor » Sun, 12 Jul 2009, 18:37

To the right. Opposite to us normal people ! Image

OK so latest map....

iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

TropicalEV
Groupie

Tesla in Australia

Post by TropicalEV » Mon, 13 Jul 2009, 04:10

Just to confuse things...helicopters vary from RHD to LHD depending on the model. (not country of origin) But alas we we still have to allow head on trafic to pass to our left just like the "planks"(aeroplanes)....So add a bit more red to the map guys! Image Choppers are all over OZ.....

Kind of amusing really that the world can become so divided on such a basic issue!
Did anyone see the Tesla and the chevy volt on 60 minutes tonight? Half arsed report borrowed from the yanks but at least they weren't bagging EV's. Looks like the Volt is likely to be more like $40k usd instead of the $20k usd they said at the start. Image
" I haven't failed..I've just found 10,000 ways that it doesn't work" Thomas Edison while inventing the lightbulb

Taffy
Groupie

Tesla in Australia

Post by Taffy » Mon, 13 Jul 2009, 04:13

That price changes is a big thumbs down. This thing is going to cost as much as a imiev by the looks of it.
I did see it and thought it was just a rehash, though it did paint the cars in a much better light then u generally see.

Tim
Groupie

Tesla in Australia

Post by Tim » Mon, 13 Jul 2009, 04:54

acmotor wrote: Tim, a privately imported vehicle is exempt from most ADRs if it was not designed for sale in the Oz market, with the exemption of the ADR requirements for seatbelts, head restraints and child seat restraints that are still required.
I am reading here from the DPI manual.

Looks like the ADRs only bite in full for a vehicle imported for sale.

ac, I think you mean 'personal import' rather than private. Maybe the DPI doc uses the wrong term. Yes, that is pretty much correct for a personal import... but it still needs to meet the Vehicle Standards Rules and be converted to RHD. Image

Somehow I don't think an EV1 will make it though... one of the criteria for a personal import is that the vehicle must be continuously owned and used by the applicant for at least 12 months   Image

Details, details...   Image
Don't listen to what I'm saying... just understand what I mean.