The ultimate range test?

News, Press Release, Insider info & EV Promotion Related
Nagaman

Re: The ultimate range test?

Post by Nagaman »

Our first Model 3 suffered FOD when a plasterboard panel fell off the side of a mobile office on a low loader, breaking the OFS headlight and scuffing the painted nose cap.
A toot on the horn and the previous 10 minutes captured for insurance purposes (Tesla will be expanding their insurance out here eventually I guess…….our insurance cover is only $800 anyway).
A bit of phantom drain from supermarket parking lots to factor in and irrelevant images to delete.
You sort of get used to the total integration and take it for granted over time.
They have upped FSD to US$12K ……around A$16K, it’s a mystery to me as to why anyone would pay to work for a company.
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

Nagaman wrote: Sun, 09 Jan 2022, 13:13 They have upped FSD [ Full Self Driving ] to US$12K ……around A$16K,
At the present rate of 1 AUD ≅ USD 0.72, it's more like AU$16.7k. Ouch.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Sadly it appears shareholder’s bottom line is now driving Tesla and at the owner/driver’s expense.
The incremental decline in the UI’s clarity and user simplicity has now made me mad as hell and realise the OTA ‘updates’ can be OTA downgrades also. The hidden agenda remains hidden and an adult needs to be found quick smart.
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

On the subject of driving range - I wonder if highways will have a windsock every 100 km so drivers will be well placed to adjust their behaviour to maximise range?
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

jonescg wrote: Mon, 10 Jan 2022, 09:31 On the subject of driving range - I wonder if highways will have a windsock every 100 km so drivers will be well placed to adjust their behaviour to maximise range?
I never miss the local windsocks, particularly if I haven’t already done the BOM homework prior.
TAS and GS are fundamental.
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

Never mind those numbers for those cars, today I managed to drive 185.4km and still have 36km left in the battery. These are all of course Nissan kms, which means they are shorter than regular ones. I tripped to Narrandera only to find the charger non-functional. That's about 90km from home. I drove back to Leeton at about 50kmh (55 on the dash). When I got to my friend's house to roll out the EVSE I had 63km range left, with an actual distance of 55km to cover. I couldn't get the EVSE to charge the car, so decided to continue on home extra slow, sitting on the lowest number the cruise control would give, 35kmh (standard kms). Half way home I still had 61km range, and was able to speed up to 40kmh.
I had the old fashioned air-conditioning running, and plenty of time for contemplation. Of course the car wouldn't charge at my friends' house as I had not disabled the charge timer.
So my range, with 3 bars down on the battery could be over 200km, provided I had all day to travel!
I did manage to draw 4 and a bit trees on the Leaf dash in the last 55km.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
Solar powered as much as practical
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

True EV adventurers drive second hand Leafs to faraway places ✊
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

Significant ODOMETER inaccuracy isn’t something I’ve noticed on any car.
Speedometer is a different matter of course.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Wouldn't be the first Leaf to have an incorrect odometer. Had a customer complaining that his Leaf odometer was 9% out. Nissan told him it's within 10% so that's fine :shock:
Nagaman

Post by Nagaman »

brendon_m wrote: Thu, 13 Jan 2022, 16:29 Wouldn't be the first Leaf to have an incorrect odometer. Had a customer complaining that his Leaf odometer was 9% out. Nissan told him it's within 10% so that's fine :shock:
If the state intends to tax you on the basis of such inaccuracy maybe the manufacturer might like to reconsider the plight of the owners. I’m assuming they over-read ?
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

The complaint was that his warranty will expire early because the car will say he had clocked up more kilometres than he actually had
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

Nagaman wrote: Fri, 14 Jan 2022, 05:48 If the state intends to tax you on the basis of such inaccuracy maybe the manufacturer might like to reconsider the plight of the owners. I’m assuming they over-read ?
Of course it over reads. It just over reads even more than the previous Nissan.
I hadn't considered the additional tax if I was taxed on those kms. I paid stamp duty, so on this purchase I am not concerned, but if I was paying tax I'd be making them fix the odometer.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import
drlizau
Groupie

Post by drlizau »

Nagaman wrote: Thu, 13 Jan 2022, 10:49 Significant ODOMETER inaccuracy isn’t something I’ve noticed on any car.
Speedometer is a different matter of course.
I've experimented with the older Nissan at one of those places with a surveyed and marked 5km length. The odometer is in sync with the speedometer and out of sync with reality. It has a 5.35% surplus added to the speed.
2017 Leaf 30kWh battery
2nd hand Japanese import