HP in EV vs HP in ICE

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Kasterborus
Groupie

HP in EV vs HP in ICE

Post by Kasterborus »

So I was thinking watching the shindig in Canberra with lots of smoke and rubber that just passed, the Horsepower Heroes section, where people get out their ICE's and try and hit the biggest number they possibly can with the greatest amount of money that they can pour into it.

This year it was won by a big 8 cylinder in a V with turbos and stuff hanging off it and getting to over 2,400hp.

Quite impressive.

But I was wondering, are EV's "Handicapped" in a pure HP comparison? Is there a way to calculate "Equivalent HP" if one was to say, wish to attend this festival of smoke and rubber and put the ICE's in their place with an EV, what would be a fair way to compare?

Is 1HP from an EV = to 1.5hp in a ICE? 2HP? 0.75?

I suppose the best way to explain what I'm after is that if say:

EV throws out 1,000HP on a Dyno, would an ICE have to beat it by scoring:
  • 1,500HP
  • 2,000HP
  • 750HP
  • They are on par
  • This is hard to calculate
brendon_m

Re: HP in EV vs HP in ICE

Post by brendon_m »

1hp is 1hp
Doesn't matter where it comes from.
But they probably won't have an EV in the competition or it'll have its own class so the v8s will still be the best
woody

Post by woody »

Possibly relevant - some (all?) the Dynos work on (angular) accelleration of a (spinning) mass, so it’s measuring power fairly accurately but if you’ve programmed in an accelleration curve or something in your EV it may think it’s wheel spinning or something.

I imagine rocking up with a truck mounted 2GW induction motor and a power cord running to the nearest substation would only work once.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

One of the bonuses of EVs doing burnouts is that you can spin the tyre up to full speed within a few rotations. You get to something like this pretty quick :)
AEVA National President, WA branch director.
HuffnPuff
Groupie

Post by HuffnPuff »

As it is measuring the power at the wheels I can’t see there would be any handicap for a different source. There may be some rules developed about how long the vehicle should run for. I can’t imagine an EV full of super caps that runs at well over the 2400hp of the V8, but can only accelerate for 10 seconds before needing a recharge would be considered in the spirit of the competition.

The cars that win these events are specifically built for winning and aren’t typically street driven, but surly there would be some rules governing that they must be registered or able to be driven on the streets under ‘normal’ conditions.
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

A Tesla did the go to whoa in 2016. An electric vehicle could win that very easily if done to the level of ICE cars that currently win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLebwnN6zNY

The burnout has to go for a minute, again easily done with the right EV setup. It is a pipedream to build my BMW to be able to win one or both those events. It would be the one time in my life that I attended Summernats. One day when I have money to literally burn.

For the all out horsepower, Rimac battery and drivetrain x 2. Could probably fit that in a big old Holden, just don't have a million bucks for the components from Rimac.

I wonder if there has ever been a single car that won more than one of the disciplines or all of the ones involving performance of the car? I'd think 2400hp would be no good for burnouts or go to whoa, but could you just have configurable power for burnout mode?
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

Hahahaha using ice on an ICE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlDNF0OLyc
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

To do the burn out comp you would need to add flames coming out of exhaust pipes, the scream of a blower and the roar of a top fueller doing it tyre warming burn out :lol: Once you had that, the other part would be easy.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
Kasterborus
Groupie

Post by Kasterborus »

HuffnPuff wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 04:18 There may be some rules developed about how long the vehicle should run for. I can’t imagine an EV full of super caps that runs at well over the 2400hp of the V8, but can only accelerate for 10 seconds before needing a recharge would be considered in the spirit of the competition.
At this stage I don't think there are any specific rules on this, so could probably get away with some super high HP EV on Caps, at least once
Scotty T wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 07:02The burnout has to go for a minute, again easily done with the right EV setup. It is a pipedream to build my BMW to be able to win one or both those events. It would be the one time in my life that I attended Summernats. One day when I have money to literally burn.
Yes, that's the burnouts. Something that isn't of great interest to me.
Scotty T wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 07:02For the all out horsepower, Rimac battery and drivetrain x 2. Could probably fit that in a big old Holden, just don't have a million bucks for the components from Rimac.
I'm interested in what you are discussing, please, tell more
Scotty T wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 07:02I wonder if there has ever been a single car that won more than one of the disciplines or all of the ones involving performance of the car? I'd think 2400hp would be no good for burnouts or go to whoa, but could you just have configurable power for burnout mode?
Yes, there has been ones that win more than one. But never the lot.
T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 08:12 To do the burn out comp you would need to add flames coming out of exhaust pipes, the scream of a blower and the roar of a top fueller doing it tyre warming burn out :lol: Once you had that, the other part would be easy.
Yeah, because the comp is biased as hell! One of the judging points is how much noise you can make.
Scotty T
Groupie

Post by Scotty T »

Kasterborus wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 19:35
Scotty T wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 07:02For the all out horsepower, Rimac battery and drivetrain x 2. Could probably fit that in a big old Holden, just don't have a million bucks for the components from Rimac.
I'm interested in what you are discussing, please, tell more
T1 Terry wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 08:12 To do the burn out comp you would need to add flames coming out of exhaust pipes, the scream of a blower and the roar of a top fueller doing it tyre warming burn out :lol: Once you had that, the other part would be easy.
Yeah, because the comp is biased as hell! One of the judging points is how much noise you can make.
Rimac Concept 1 has 1224 horsepower. http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/hype ... ncept_one/

I'm not a fan of the burnouts either but would just love to see the look on people's faces. The Concept 1 in stock form would likely trounce the go to whoa.
Richo

Post by Richo »

HuffnPuff wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 04:18 There may be some rules developed about how long the vehicle should run for. I can’t imagine an EV full of super caps that runs at well over the 2400hp of the V8, but can only accelerate for 10 seconds before needing a recharge would be considered in the spirit of the competition.
Kasterborus wrote: Tue, 08 Jan 2019, 19:35 At this stage I don't think there are any specific rules on this, so could probably get away with some super high HP EV on Caps, at least once
It has to be driven in, Dyno tested and then driven out - depending on the event holder.
45kWh of LTO's would do it - so you could drive home no problem!
At those levels a dyno test is about 5-10kWh.

Problem is the class - forced induction or naturally aspirated...
Most of the ICE cars that get these high levels of HP are totally unreliable and are built just to roll in, test and roll out.
So it would be like for like in my opinion.
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!
Kasterborus
Groupie

Post by Kasterborus »

Richo wrote: Tue, 15 Jan 2019, 13:04 Problem is the class - forced induction or naturally aspirated...
Though IMO the car would be "Naturally Aspirated" technically, as you're not forcing anything.

Though if using an induction motor, you're using then it could be perceived as you're using induction to force it to turn....
Richo

Post by Richo »

And a BLDC is coerced. :lol:
So the short answer is NO but the long answer is YES.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!