Putting an Electric Kart Through it Paces

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Crash
Groupie

Post by Crash » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 07:40

Had an absolute blast in Rod's electric kart recently and have put together a summary on building a gas beating electric race kart

Any comments on the article or suggestions on how to improve the kart appreciated as is your votes in the Instructables "Battery Powered" competition.

Thanks
Wayne

Kieran
Groupie

Post by Kieran » Fri, 22 Aug 2014, 03:42

Love it!

How much of the electric components are/could be Australian made? I'm aware of at least one Australian made kart chassis so I'm keen to know how much of the electric components could be supplied by Australian manufacturers.

Crash
Groupie

Post by Crash » Fri, 22 Aug 2014, 05:36

Australia mines the raw materials and Rod designed and produces the BMS in Australia but batteries are made in china, the sevcon controller is a european controller and motors are motenergy, an american company but not sure where they are made. I don't know much about sprint kart frames, but I have read that some kart chassis producers are manufacturing their designs in China.

regards Wayne

Kieran
Groupie

Post by Kieran » Fri, 22 Aug 2014, 18:29

Thanks Wayne.

Are electric karts actually allowed by the AKA to race in sprint kart competitions?

Could electric karts do away with the need for fireproof race suit, gloves and boots? Now wouldn't that make karting more accessible!

Bluefang
Groupie

Post by Bluefang » Fri, 22 Aug 2014, 18:48

The major problem i would see with electric karts is you will have to build up at least 10-20 drive systems including batteries so that they are a direct instal on the standard mounts for a go kart. Essentially have them ready to go and hire them out to racers for each race meet.

You would not be allowed to run in a normal race and would have to have a whole race series build based on the same parts. The whole idea of keeping karting fair without major advantages to drivers who can buy better parts. I have tried looking into it but even with been able to build up a complete drop in system for <$4000 for a standard race at up to 30kw the response was....ahh we will wait to see how the Europe karts go.
www.facebook.com/ausemoto
Building Electric vehicles to be enjoyed and give people a EV grin.

Crash
Groupie

Post by Crash » Wed, 27 Aug 2014, 04:21

I' sure there would be at least a dozen aussies in each major city that would be keen to build an electric kart and start a competition, hiring an existing kart track a few times a year for an electric kart meet. The challenge will be to get them together and agreeing on a motor, battery and controller combination to get it rolling.

Kieran
Groupie

Post by Kieran » Thu, 28 Aug 2014, 03:20

I just checked the Go Kart Club of Victoria's website for membership ($380 1st year, then $265 p.a. after that) and licencing ($310 1st year, then $290 p.a. after that). It'd be $690 before I even saw a track.

I race in a monthly hire kart league in Melbourne for 10 rounds per year and it'll cost me $705 total, including trophy. That's everything included because the hire kart venue supplies everything in the race fee.