eV Challenge Facebook page & 2013 race date

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Mon, 06 May 2013, 04:21

G'day all. The eV Challenge committee has just established a facebook page for the event at https://www.facebook.com/PerthElectricVehicleChallenge for all to join if you wish. We've started by posting photos and we will very soon be uploading the heavily revised 2013 rules along with video, race dates etc.

The 2013 race date is Saturday November 9th at the RAC Driving Centre. Unlike 2012 each class will only race ONCE on the day, with SLA powered vehicles racing in one race and non-SLA powered in the other.

More info will be posted on the Facebook page as it comes to hand. We are also looking at gaining control of the eV Challenge website however in the meantime the Facebook page is the main hub for the eV Challenge in 2013.

It would be great to see as many AEVA members as possible knock up vehicles for a really interesting Class C event this year!

Richo

Post by Richo » Fri, 08 Nov 2013, 22:31

Just a reminder that this is TOMORROW (SAT)
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Richo

Post by Richo » Mon, 11 Nov 2013, 20:54

So the race has finished and from a spectators point of view it was dismal.

A few points to note for next time:

Don't put the main tent next to the entrance to the event.
It clogged it up and many people ended up standing or walking at the main entrance.
Dangerous.

The race track length was increased AGAIN to the point where 60% is not visible to teams or spectators.
So a car tipped over and took a long time for race officials to get there.
The cars ended up so far apart you'd be mistaken that there was even a race going.
It would have been better just on the circle track where the pits were.
People could then see the whole event and Marshalls could quickly get to problem areas.

Don't bring the spit roast pig to the vegetarian buffet.
For those who don't get it - this race is electric and for efficiency.
Bringing a petrol powered race car was amusing but at the wrong event.
Perhaps ECU thought this was a cheap way to hire the race track for a day. Image

Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing » Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 01:22

Hi Richo,

I reply to your post not just as an individual but as a member of the eV Challenge committee.

Firstly, not many people have been made aware but as the end of last year's eV Challenge the entire ex committee retired which not only left the event without a committee but also without insurance which always used to be provided by Christchurch. Hence it was necessary for us to bring CAMS onboard and a lot of associated paper work. This was made possible only by the extra-ordinary efforts of Trish, John Hurney and the new logistical sponsor ECU.

In regards to the location of the tent, the skid pan was meant to only be for team support vehicles travelling at walking pace, Not Dangerous. The most dangerous aspect was the RX-7 from AEVA making a bad impression by doing dynamic displays in a pedestrian area. Much more dangerous and not approved by the event organisers.

The race track is not a cheap option for ECU, who outlayed more than $4000 for the day's hire and so it was cost effective and also more technical to incorporate the straights as well as corners for the teams to traverse.
Technically it is not a race, an endurance event rather. If you want fast wheel to wheel action, Formula ford is probably more up your alley.

The rollover was unfortunate but again the provision of an ambulance and also changes in the technical regulations mandating a roll over structure were welcome and needed changes that happened this year and most likely prevented serious injury.

Whilst the race is electric and about efficiency, it is also a lot more about promoting design and engineering in educational institutions and I believe that the ECU FSAE car is a fine example of high level design and engineering. Also the FSAE competition has an endurance event and so fuel efficiency plays a large role in their competition too.

Whilst we would like to see the AEVA's support for the event, it needs to be a constructive partnership, possibly AEVA members putting their hands up to help marshall the track and increase response time.

A serious amount of effort went into getting this year's event to even happen and a new distance record was set, proving that the development of team's designs is reaching a very high standard.

If you have any queries please direct them to myself via Private Message.

Regards,

James Hill

EV Challenge Secretary and Team Principal of Coulomb Motorsport
Last edited by Coulomb Racing on Mon, 11 Nov 2013, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Please like us on Facebook: Coulomb Motorsport

Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 02:09

G'day all,

As the current chairman of the eV Challenge I would like to respond to the criticism laid out in Richo's post if I may.

Firstly, as James has pointed out, the ITC Global eV Challenge is an educational event which uses electrically powered vehicles to teach engineering to a primarily high school audience. ECU have come on board as a major sponsor (who outlayed more than double the budget James mentioned earlier) as they too see the educational value of the event. The track hire was entirely paid for by ECU, so to be frank if they wanted to drive a tractor around as part of a demo they had every right to. Their FSAE vehicle was there as an example of the kind of engineering projects high school students can look forward to should they continue their interest in engineering into university.

Secondly the location of the registration tent was determined with the full input of the Clerk of Course, a very experienced and knowledgeable CAMS approved marshal. Should the location have really been dangerous I'm sure he would have shifted the location of this tent.

Thirdly the critique of the track length and layout has some merit and we as a committee are looking at alternative venues in the future. However the RAC track, which has been used for the last three events, was very suitable from a driver's perspective. While it was long this is not too much different to the Goodwood circuit used by the UK Greenpower competition, similar to the eV Challenge in many respects. The aim of the eV Challenge is to complete as many laps in 1 hour from a set amount of battery capacity, so actual track position means little. While I appreciate the spectator experience could be improved and we will work on doing exactly that, pleasing the spectators at the event was not and never will be the primary aim of the eV Challenge committee.

In short the event did have some areas which could be improved, however as the longest running electric vehicle motorsport event in WA and to the best of my knowledge the entire country, one which is run by volunteers and participated in mainly by school kids, it serves its purpose. More than happy for any member of AEVA to join our committee to assist in improving the event into 2014. However to trash this event, which as I again mention is the LONGEST RUNNING ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT IN WA, without understanding the context within which it operates and the aims it hopes to achieve, is what I consider to be, and I quote, dismal.

It is certainly a long way from AEVA's implied if not stated aim of encouraging interest in electric vehicles.

I have not responded in order to start a forum war, but instead to provide an alternative point of view to that of Richo. The kids had fun, and that was the main thing.

Cheers

Clay Woolcock
eV Challenge Chairman

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 04:22

Hey guys,

I'm happy the AEVA had the opportunity to make an appearance at the EV challenge and display a few EVs. I'm also sorry that the electric RX-7 was being driven in a potentially dangerous (yet simultaneously awesome) manner. I concede it really wasn't appropriate.

I know how hard it is to make an event like this happen when a small team of volunteers are charged with the responsibility. Getting the message out early and often would have lifted numbers, and being anal about keeping time makes sure everything flows. But it's tough when you have limited resources.

The Perth branch of AEVA is willing and able to put the word out and to source for volunteers, logistic support and even some funds (an order of magnitude less than ECU's budget!) we just needed a good heads up. Put us down for next year! Image

Chris.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Richo

Post by Richo » Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 21:00

I have been going to this event since it's inception back at Murdoch.
Over the years the cars have got better but the event hasn't.
Clay wrote:..(this is the) LONGEST RUNNING ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT IN WA

Ship of Theseus
Is your trusty old hammer still your good old hammer if you have replaced the head and the handle?
In this case no.
Clay wrote: It is certainly a long way from AEVA's implied if not stated aim of encouraging interest in electric vehicles.

I didn't imply that this was AEVA's opinion.
My opinions are my own.
And I didn't think my expectations had suddenly changed this year from any other year.
So I stand by my opinion.

On the plus side I will say that the commentary / voice overs were good.

Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing » Tue, 12 Nov 2013, 22:11

Hi Richo,

Would you like to become a driver of the change you want to see then, rather than a critic of the change you don't see?

Richo

Post by Richo » Wed, 13 Nov 2013, 20:59

Perhaps.
I'm still looking why some didn't attend.
If these people have gone to the trouble to make one in previous years and didn't race this year then why not?
What's their opinion of the event to not even bother to show up.

To me the most obvious issue is the cost of the event.
If the ev challenge was combined with the Electrokhana that would save $3k...
Double the attendee's and double the spectators.
And less tractors Image
Just a thought.

Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 00:23

Cost may have been a factor for private entry teams whose drivers were older than high school age, and who had to pay $25 each for a one day CAMS license. However entry costs were halved this year for all teams (from $75 last year to $35 this year) which should have encouraged school teams to attend.

The main change for 2013 was an enforced strengthening of the rules regarding safety of the vehicles. In order to gain CAMS insurance we had to increase the required safety within the design regulations. Many teams felt the new rules, which simply required some protective bodywork to prevent injury from a vehicle vs vehicle collision, rollbars, and seatbelts for the 'streamliner' vehicles, and AS1698 (motorcycle/go kart spec)helmets, was too hard to implement into their vehicles. I disagree with this opinion, however regardless of whether you agree or not without the rule changes we could not have gained insurance without them.

In short, the lower competitor numbers had little to do with cost (only one private team of note was missing this year, being the successful River Raiders crew from Margaret River) and more to do with necessary rule changes. Often school team participation is very dependent on having an enthusiastic teacher who 'drives' the project with the students. A number of school who have previously competed had staff changes this year which meant they did not compete. Combine this with the new rules and i believe the lower numbers (although 21 cars is still not bad) for the 2013 event will be a one-off.

We did see three new school teams enter this year, and have several other schools who have not competed before planning cars for 2014. Hopefully a few AEVA members might like to bolster the grid...
Last edited by Clay on Wed, 13 Nov 2013, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Richo

Post by Richo » Thu, 14 Nov 2013, 20:47

Clay wrote: Often school team participation is very dependent on having an enthusiastic teacher who 'drives' the project with the students. A number of school who have previously competed had staff changes this year which meant they did not compete.

I asked around and this seems to be the case.
I didn't ask what happened to the cars they built tho.

Crash
Groupie

Post by Crash » Mon, 18 Nov 2013, 03:07

I've been focussing on a new EV build project which only just got up and running in November and Rod has been assisting me on the odd day when there were not other commitments, so the River Raiders weren't prepared for the EV Challenge this year, but I agree that the changes to the rules are not at all difficult and the cost of entering the event is not an issue for us. What is more of a disincentive to us is that the safety standards have increased but there has been no provision for any performance increases which is understandable with the focus on the school teams.
What I would be really keen to see is a joint event with AEVA collaborating to add an additional event or two with provision for much higher performance levels that has a clear focus on private and university level participation.

regards
Wayne

woody

Post by woody » Wed, 20 Nov 2013, 18:23

Thanks Clay and James for taking over and running the event, it sounds like you had your work cut out for you with the previous committee dissolving.

Richo has been brutally honest in his words, I hope you can take the honesty and ignore the brutality :-)

You being drivers that is what you would have focussed on, and the changes you made would have been driven by necessity/expediency to make it actually happen, not just to annoy Richo.

All the best with next year's event.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Coulomb Racing
Groupie

Post by Coulomb Racing » Thu, 16 Jan 2014, 08:30

G'day everyone and welcome to 2014.

An exciting year this year with us running not one but two events. In partnership with the Hurricane Go Kart Club in Wundowie, about half and hour east of Perth, our two events this year will be run at their track. At 750m long it is much more suited to our vehicles and should allow better spectator viewing, a complaint raised about our previous venue.

The dates for the events this year are Saturday April 5th and Saturday November 1st. Info regarding the April event will be released shortly.

Also shortly to be released will be the 2014 regulations. Not much will change from 2013 however several changes in wording based on our 2013 experience will be included as will some of the proposed 2014 changes which were in the 2013 rules.

A major shift will be the transition to common battery packs for all competitors. If you are buying new batteries for this year please contact us either on Facebook or at evchallengewa@gmail.com for more details on these batteries. When a final decision is made regarding battery and supplier we will announce this on this page. 2015 will require all vehicles to use the common battery pack, however for 2014 we will allow the old spec batteries and the common spec batteries to be used in a transition year.

Stay tuned for more info soon!

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Thu, 16 Jan 2014, 17:15

LiPo! LiPo! LiPo!

roddilkes
Groupie

Post by roddilkes » Thu, 16 Jan 2014, 19:14

I haven't been following this thread and it was just drawn to my attention.

Clay and James (Coulomb Racing) are to be congratulated for their efforts to keep the EV Challenge going. ECU coming on board is great also.

As Clay said the previous committee was dissolving and without renewed efforts it is unlikely the event would have continued.

I attended a couple of planning meetings but the pressures of earning a living prevented me from even attending last years event.

Keep up the good work guys. I for one reckon you are taking the EV Challenge in a new and exciting direction.

I imagine volunteers would be most welcome to assist on the day.

Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 01:53

G'day again. For those of you interested we have some news, and for those of you who have already liked our facebook page (www.facebook.com/PerthElectricVehicleChallenge) the news is already there.

This year we will be holding not one but two events. Our new track is the result of a partnership with the Hurricane Go Kart Club in Wundowie, east of Perth. At 752m long and 8m wide is is around half the length of the RAC track and it is being made available to us at significantly reduced cost.

The first event will be held on Saturday April 5th with the 'main' event on Saturday November 1st. Info on the April event will be out soon.

Our new battery formula will be mandated for 2015 but this year we will see a transition year with both the old and new battery rules in play. The new battery formula will be officially announced on the FB page once the committee signs off on it, however the new batteries will be LiPO. The 2014 rules will also be available at that time, however there are minimal changes from the sweeping 2013 rule changes.

PM me if you would like more info and we would love to see some AEVA members involved this year.

Cheers

Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 01:55

I just saw James' post. Well, repetition is for emphasis i guess...

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sat, 05 Apr 2014, 17:20

EV Challenge Practice Day is on today ?

5 April
4 - 6 pm
Hurricane Go Kart Club in Wundowie,
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 05 Apr 2014, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sun, 06 Apr 2014, 14:37

1 min 22 secs for long circuit
1 min 10 for medium
45 for short

Rod D brought his electric go kart
39.1 secs long circuit
Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 06 Apr 2014, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

jonescg

Post by jonescg » Sun, 06 Apr 2014, 17:54

Pictures? Video?

g4qber

Post by g4qber » Sun, 06 Apr 2014, 22:54

Last edited by g4qber on Sun, 06 Apr 2014, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

Clay
Groupie

Post by Clay » Mon, 07 Apr 2014, 01:19

Cheers g4qber for the photo/map and race times. While we had a fairly weak turn out of vehicles we did sort out the track layout we will use and get some meaningful data on expected laptimes etc. Going off the map in the previous post the track layout will be (a) clockwise and (b) NOT use the hairpin in the lower right hand corner of the picture. We will instead direct vehicles through the right hand corner prior to the hairpin (hopefully that makes sense). Depending on entries for Class A this year they may run on the 'super short' layout where turn 1 goes past 180 degrees and then cuts out almost all of the circuit to the right of screen.

All in all the track is a great facility, cars can be seen all the way around the track, it has lights to run the second event at night, and the Hurricane Go Kart Club is very helpful and cannot be complimented enough for supporting the eV Challenge.

We are endeavoring to get an invitational event up and running for June prior to the main event on November 1st.

Also Rod's electric kart was great fun to drive - even with no brakes!

Cheers