fiberglass body for lightweight racecar rx7 style

Where hooligans go to get AMPED
unheardofinstruments
Groupie

Post by unheardofinstruments »

I have a full body mold for making a fiberglass or composite body shell for a series 5 rx7 which could be used on a similar sized body, It is possible to do it in one piece and was made for a drag car. I had only wanted to do the bonnet but while I am at it could get a full shell done too. It would best suit a space frame chassis/roll cage type design, I think they climbed in the door window, would suit racing. If anyone is interested let me know.
cheers
ron

Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

There was a company in Japan that offered full carbon fibre body shell for a series6 rx7
Just jump on google.
Most fabricators will do what you ask it just depends on wallet

unheardofinstruments
Groupie

Post by unheardofinstruments »

I have found many kit makers selling skirts and flares, bonnets etc
not found much about full body shells in carbon or glass much less how much they would cost, anyone got a ballpark figure?
I am guessing it would be cheaper to make it here. The materials are worked out by weight and a little work time at the hourly rate to spray the mold etc. I suspect the pool of prospective customers making a full race car with a spaceframe construction wanting an rx7 shell might well be zero. Just thought I would put it out there seeing as I have the mold and am doing a bonnet skin anyway.

Canberra32
Groupie

Post by Canberra32 »

Well the full body and doors boot and bonnet kit I'm doing for the clubman cars we are building will go for about 8k in glass weave and 12k in carbon.
The rx7 one I saw was around 15k
Most bodies are sitting around 8-15 now days but usually rough.