Charging NSW Whitepaper

For New South Wales Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
Gabz

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by Gabz » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 00:48

Because when I’m not a work writing reports I like to spend my free time writing reports. I've started a discussion white paper. on EV charging in NSW

This is meant to be in a similar theme to the WA. and point out general technical requirements but more importantly advantages and benefits to whoever might be interested in investing.

At the end of the day it will be the EV drivers investing. if the EV is the second car ask yourself what it would take to kick your ICE habit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S1X ... sp=sharing

If you want to edit the document send me your gmail address.

jonescg

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by jonescg » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 01:22

Great idea Gabriel, and I would strongly encourage all Sydney area EV drivers to get behind the proposal. I will put the WA proposal up today, and others can have a read and get inspired.

There are a few things stopping the average punter from buying an EV, and one of them is not being able to drive 200-300 km and charge up along the way in a fairly short time. As members of the AEVA, we should be front and centre in changing this limitation.

Get thinking, get writing and get behind it! Image
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

poprock
Groupie

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by poprock » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 03:17

For those of us with ancient leadsleds, those locations would still be too far apart. But as charging moves towards a common standard ( as ICE did with a smaller tank nozzle fitting for unleaded } the ideal partnership would be between MacDonalds and EV owners. This would require a solemn oath when purchasing an EV. " I do solemnly swear that I will support the Golden Arches twice a week; indulging in
unhealthy fatty foods while my EV is charging. I expect that MacDonalds will provide at least two charging bays per site and maintain them in usable condition. EV only parking will be enforced by spotty 16yr olds with varying skin conditions. "green
Yes. I am serious.

Gabz

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by Gabz » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 15:09

while sure maccas is ideal i don't think they have the vision and out of the box thinking required to make the initial step.

companies which have are high tech, or organic food based what i can see of what little chargers are deployed in Australia

marty11
Groupie

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by marty11 » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 17:08

Hi Gabz,

Great work.

Do you know if Aeva management can write to some pollies about this? Also , is there a possibility of funding from say NRMA ? How about a lottery?

I like the way Holland has asked the service stations to allow EV charging.

Highway servos are generally 24/ 7 , and some already have 240 Volt level 1 outside outlets they will let you use.

Servos are ideally situated aloing highways already, generally with adequate parking area real estate.

Maybe a profit share 50/50 between servo owners and charging station suppliers may bear some fruit?

You could have, eg,

level 1 (almost no cost to the servo.) Use existing.

Level 2. Cost = xxx (Benefits to servo would be stated in approach to servo - fill in the blank)

Level 3. .Fast charging.

ps. .Happy Christmas to everyone!

Last edited by marty11 on Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Volt - June 2013
-----------------------------
Solar Charged from 10kw

jonescg

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by jonescg » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 17:33

Re: Pollies - best to hit up your local state MP and the transport minister. AEVA "Management" Image is essentially any member who bothers to write a letter, but do run it past Daryl, or at least your branch for review first. State governments are out of cash at the moment, and while fast chargers are very inexpensive in the scheme of things, they aren't in a very generous mood right now. What does work very well is asking for some assistance to get a fully competitive / private enterprise system up and running. So perhaps a system where the taxpayer supports installation of three DC chargers in key places, leaving their capacity expansion up to the enterprise who manages them.

Pricing would be entirely up to the enterprise. The market will determine it's success thereafter?
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch vice-chair

Gabz

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by Gabz » Tue, 24 Dec 2013, 17:41

local councils aren't a bad idea Kangaroo island council paid for the level 2s, moorland city council paid for a fast charger and 2 level 2s. for towns along the path it increases visitors and tourism with a mandatory stop period of 30mins to get anything out of charging they'll have a look around

Gabz

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by Gabz » Sun, 29 Dec 2013, 13:35

it's starting to take shape if you haven't read it since i started the thread its worth another read.

we've identified the M1 motorway Sydney central coast and Newcastle Maitland as the most important route. as has a already high usage of cars, and has the most amount of the states population around it.

the link from sydney to the ACT will cost the most to seed.

Gabz

Charging NSW Whitepaper

Post by Gabz » Tue, 31 Dec 2013, 16:56

http://noronha.id.au/electric-vehicle-fact-sheets/

will be it's new home when finished the other ones are finished and published there too.