Fundraising for the Perth to Esperance Electric Highway!

For West Australian Members of the AEVA
Forum rules
All may view this forum, only AEVA Members may post here.
jonescg

Fundraising for the Perth to Esperance Electric Highway!

Post by jonescg »

Inspired by our long, slow drive to Esperance last June, the WA branch will launch a fundraiser to install 50 kW DC fast chargers between Perth and Esperance!

https://chuffed.org/project/evhwy
(link works now)

The goal is lofty, but I believe we can meet it before Easter 2020. We are looking for hosts between Perth and Esperance who are keen to support a charger at their premises. Servos, pubs, caravan parks and shopping centres - please get in touch!

Horizon Power are putting their marketing muscle behind it, as well as offering in-kind support for network connection analysis.

Corporate donors are essential for this to succeed, so we will be courting businesses and institutions in the Southern Wheatbelt seeking their support.

In the meantime, I'm working on some cool Cloisonne keychains in nickle green and cobalt blue...

Chris
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
antiscab

Re: Fundraising for the Perth to Esperance Electric Highway!

Post by antiscab »

This link worked for me: https://chuffed.org/project/evhwy
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Bump!
Just a reminder that this campaign is still running and in need of some donors :)
https://chuffed.org/project/evhwy
We are very close to ordering our first charger and if things pan out right, we could be seeing the first charger installed in Hyden!
Hyden is 330 km from Perth, and 380 km from Esperance. So for anyone in a Tesla or a Kona, you can get to Esperance with one charge in Hyden.
For everyone else, you might want to stop in Brookton or Corrigin for an hour, and again in Ravensthorpe for afternoon tea.
reecho

Post by reecho »

The first charger has gone in at Lake Grace. Well done....!
119897988_10157151419026582_6940908855181505382_o.jpg
119897988_10157151419026582_6940908855181505382_o.jpg (755.96 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Hi everyone, quick update on this project. We've raised $77,000 and with that, bought two 50 kW DC fast chargers, one of which has been installed in Lake Grace (above) and the other is destined for Ravensthorpe. Ravensthorpe has been a difficult place to get a charger installed, as the council is very indifferent and the power supply out there is weak. Moreover, the local network is small and inconveniently located for the best charging sites.
Nevertheless, we have had council approval to use the Museum and Information Centre as the site for the charger, and the DQA with Western Power was submitted months ago. They finally came back with a price for a supply upgrade - $96,350 exc. GST.
This was not unexpected, given the large amount of undergrounding necessary. The plan is to take power from further down the same side of the street and run 240 mm2 LV supply up the south side of South Coast Highway up to the corner of the Information Centre. From here, the dome must be located on the road reserve, which is council land, and needs a new CT meter.
There are a few issues with the proposal as drawn, but we're expecting clarification shortly.
So, how are we going to pay for this? Remembering that the nearly $26,000 installation cost of the Lake Grace charger was generously paid for by Lake Grace. Ravensthorpe Shire Council are nowhere near as forward-thinking, and will not pay any more than the monthly cost of an electricity account for the charger.
Galaxy Resources who run the lithium mine have committed about $12k and Horizon Power have said they would match this. The AEVA fundraising tin has about $8k left in it, so call it $32k. We need another $75k, especially since we'll need to find additional funds to pay for the installation of the charger itself. I will try First Quantum Resources (nearby nickel mine) again...

I'm chatting with Synergy tomorrow about the prospect of sharing the costs associated with this charger site. The WA Electric Highway network will be rolling through town in the next 18 months, and it was probably slated to have a 75 kW charger installed in town. If we have a 50 kW charger installed using enough copper to manage a 75 kW charger, it might be possible to unbolt our charger and take it somewhere else (like Brookton). The WA network charger can simply take its place.

Ravensthorpe is a real crossroads in WA, and it's 200 km from anywhere, so it's really the biggest gap that needs filling. Lets hope we can have it filled in time for the wildflower season!
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

@jonescg
So time to put up flyers again ?
2021 Model 3 PW MIC SR+ FSD - Delivered Mon 28 Jun ‘21 - k kms 36
2021 Kia Niro EV Sport

2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs
2011 i-MiEV
2012 Volt
2014 i3 REx
2014 Model S
2020 FRESR+
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Well it can't hurt given the number of EVs on the road in WA has probably doubled since we first started the pitch. But that's a lot of money to muster.
antiscab

Post by antiscab »

are we expecting ravensthorpe to get much use for the near future?

would a biodiesel gen set be a better solution in the interim? at least until use has been proven

I imagine the WA electric highway network will have more resources (money) that the perth to espereance highway
Matt
2017 Renault zoe - 25'000km
2007 vectrix - 156'000km
1998 prius - needs Batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
2000 prius - has 200 x headway 38120 cells
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Biodiesel generator is a last resort, and we've come this far. Ravensthorpe is a crucial location which absolutely needs a fast charger as it's 200 km from anywhere, but on the way to somewhere. So the cost of hard-wiring a grid connected charger will be worth it in the long run. If we can get commitment from Synergy/Western Power/Horizon that we'll share the cost of the network upgrades then it's the best option to follow through with.

If these discussions fall apart, we might as well get a synchronous generator-charger installed so it's easy for the host to manage.
g4qber

Post by g4qber »

Flyer still present at woolies mt pleasant
Attachments
AAD7D23C-C56E-4194-A063-AECCE301583A.jpeg
AAD7D23C-C56E-4194-A063-AECCE301583A.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 1314 times
2021 Model 3 PW MIC SR+ FSD - Delivered Mon 28 Jun ‘21 - k kms 36
2021 Kia Niro EV Sport

2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
Aptera
Cybertruck
On order

Past EVs