New AEVA web site

Admin Requests, General Enquiries and Forum Issues
karlg
Groupie

New AEVA web site

Post by karlg » Fri, 17 Feb 2012, 16:31

At the AEVA Annual General Meeting in October 2011, the National Council resolved that the AEVA National website should be reviewed with the aim of:
·        Improving the web experience,
·        Making maintenance and updates more efficient, and
·        Investigate the possibility of adding the Branch websites as subsections of the main.

Having been elected as the National Webmaster (at the same AGM) Karl Goiser and a band of co-opted “assistants” have been working diligently to fulfil these requests.

And now we need your help!

A key task was to build a framework for the new National website, which includes: calendar, events, and sections for each branch. A central idea is that each branch should be able to control its own content, for example being able to update meeting information should it change.

These are the basics - there will be more to come - but right we would like to share our work with you and ask for your feedback.

The preliminary site: http://aeva7.canberraev.org

Note that this is preliminary only, so there are omissions and errors - please see it as an example.

Karl Goiser, Michael Day, Jaron Ware, Eric Rodda

bladecar

New AEVA web site

Post by bladecar » Fri, 17 Feb 2012, 21:28

Hi,

I've been the first voter in the first poll. Making history, that's what I call it. Image

Thalass

New AEVA web site

Post by Thalass » Tue, 06 Mar 2012, 05:43

I think it's good!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

bladecar

New AEVA web site

Post by bladecar » Tue, 06 Mar 2012, 13:48

With regard to the current poll about ev support, I request polls which do not force a choice between things without the 'none of the above' choice or something similar.

Our political parties are supreme at tippy-toeing around 'sensitive' topics and must avoid attack by industry which could be initially affected by certain decisions.

No announcements that "Within the decade, we will land a man (in this particular case) on an EV.   This decision hasn't been made because it is easy, but because...."

Polls similar to internal company polls which include questions designed to show how seriously the respondent is treating the poll but gives little leeway to actually say what they think are not in our best interests.

karlg
Groupie

New AEVA web site

Post by karlg » Tue, 06 Mar 2012, 16:20

Hello bladecar,

1/ This was an example poll and is not intended to go onto the real site. Some polling environments allow multiple polls and show a random one to a new visitor. I added this to see if it was the case in this environment. It's not, so I need to look further.

2/ A little-known effect with polling is that if you don't provide 'don't know/don't care' options to a question, it forces respondents to actually give an opinion. For this same reason, you shouldn't have an odd number of values in a rating response.

Regards,

Karl

weber
Site Admin

New AEVA web site

Post by weber » Tue, 06 Mar 2012, 17:44

karlg wrote:A little-known effect with polling is that if you don't provide 'don't know/don't care' options to a question, it forces respondents to actually give an opinion. For this same reason, you shouldn't have an odd number of values in a rating response.

Those things don't force me to give an opinion. They force me to immediately cease doing the survey, because they show that whoever designed it is either an amateur or is trying to manipulate me. Do you think Roy Morgan Research doesn't know how to design surveys? They have "don't know"s and middle values.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

karlg
Groupie

New AEVA web site

Post by karlg » Wed, 07 Mar 2012, 04:27

..so by that argument, Ford or Microsoft or Exxon know about and do everything correctly in their respective industries?

Please stay on topic.

Karl

weber
Site Admin

New AEVA web site

Post by weber » Wed, 07 Mar 2012, 05:25

karlg wrote: ..so by that argument, Ford or Microsoft or Exxon know about and do everything correctly in their respective industries?
By what[I/] argument? Never mind.
Please stay on topic.

Karl

Well that's a bit rude. It wasn't me who started on about how to write surveys.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).

bladecar

New AEVA web site

Post by bladecar » Wed, 07 Mar 2012, 21:43

Karl wrote:

"2/ A little-known effect with polling is that if you don't provide 'don't know/don't care' options to a question, it forces respondents to actually give an opinion. For this same reason, you shouldn't have an odd number of values in a rating response.

Regards,

Karl"

The things is, Karl, after a little consideration, I think that my true opinion is   4/ None of the above

It's not a case of respondents being reluctant to give an opinion, in this case, as you might imagine    Image

Therefore, I too would be forced to ignore this particular poll, but would be annoyed that others might pick 1,2 or 3 and be counted and not I.

Having said that, it's great you are taking your time to decide on the presentation of the new web page and look forward to participating.

bladecar

New AEVA web site

Post by bladecar » Wed, 07 Mar 2012, 21:48

Karl said:

"..so by that argument, Ford or Microsoft or Exxon know about and do everything correctly in their respective industries?

Please stay on topic.

Karl"

Karl, I haven't the faintest idea what you are saying here and I'm very interested to understand it.

Please feel free to elaborate on how it follows on from weber's comments. Image

karlg
Groupie

New AEVA web site

Post by karlg » Wed, 07 Mar 2012, 23:05

I am happy to discuss polling further, but not in a topic about the new web site.

bladecar

New AEVA web site

Post by bladecar » Wed, 07 Mar 2012, 23:10

Karl said:

"I am happy to discuss polling further, but not in a topic about the new web site."

Yes, you're right. As you say, it wasn't a serious poll and it just happened to be there so there's nothing much to talk about   Image

Andrew
Groupie

New AEVA web site

Post by Andrew » Thu, 08 Mar 2012, 03:19

Relax, Karl has GOT THIS! Image