Can a ute be registered with different body?

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
AMPrentice

Post by AMPrentice » Thu, 18 Dec 2008, 19:23

I guess emissions wont be a problem with all electric but how about keeping the base structural frame and making a custom body to go on top? eg using a separate chassis from say a ute or van that has been registered and then putting a custom body on top?
Alternatively a new kit car chassis for things like a cobra or caterham/lotus 7 replica are with a different body?

Just dreaming the possibility of a modern version of the Scarab.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

No Queen, No Prime Minister, No hierarchical system to break down our communities
Never vote Labour, Liberal or Maggots like them.

woody

Post by woody » Fri, 19 Dec 2008, 00:20

Wow, that thing is sweet. Unfortunately I have no idea what the answer to your question is. I'd think there's an easier path through the red tape jungle if you follow one of the well trodden paths: e.g.

"Kit Car on VW floorpan"

"Lotus 7 replica"

"Hot Rod"

"Custom Cruiser"

"Stretch Limo"

Also they tend to base the rules on the age of the main component, e.g. if your chassis is from a '65 bug, you only need to follow the '65 rules, plus a few bonus rules.

There are a few rules for cars which don't apply for truck mods, e.g. you can't put in a motor which is older than the car, but it's fine in a truck.

I guess you'll have to look at how to get to your goal following those well-trodden paths, maybe start with a Kombi or a Toyota Hi-ace.
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack

Goombi

Post by Goombi » Thu, 01 Jan 2009, 01:37

I know for fact that the registrar will not aprove a utility unless it had original type rims. Alloy wheels are Toboo Anything other then original ute rims is illegal.. Watch out for your insurance...
Either you have a Ute? or another vehicle.. WHAT IS THAT HORRIBLE MONSTROSITY>>?

AMPrentice

Post by AMPrentice » Fri, 02 Jan 2009, 18:32

the horrible monstrosity is actually a classic and shows tremendous lateral thinking rather than boring stereotyping, specially since it was mostly hand-made by Ancient Egyptians Image - 1930s Scarab.

There are other cars that most people who thought kingswoods and xd falcons where cool in the 70s and 80s that wouldnt appeal to many but where designed for a reason.

Just a few of the unique beasts below

the most beautiful monster cockroach from that era

Link to beautiful monsters of the past

No Queen, No Prime Minister, No hierarchical system to break down our communities

TropicalEV
Groupie

Post by TropicalEV » Sun, 04 Jan 2009, 01:38

LOVE the big black one!
You could sharpen the blades of the bumper and take those nasty pushbikers off at the ankles! Then the rest of them would slide effortlessly off that streamlined body.....Ahh...just nice dreams...LOL.....I wonder how many batteries you could fit under that bonnet?????......hmmmmmm Image
And while we giggle at the concept cars of yesterday.....Our generation put the NIMBUS into production! Have you seen the new "toorak tractor" version of the "Hummer"? That has to be THE most ridiculous car I've ever seen on OZZIE roads! It's wheels are ENORMOUS! And low profile tyres! What kind of W@#*&ER would want a legendary 4wd you cant drive on a dirt road in case you hit a pothole and kill a $1k(guestimate) tyre???
Oh....and I think if you went for a car with a chassis instead of a monocoque body you would be half way there to convincing the inspector/engineer that it was safe......

Last edited by TropicalEV on Sat, 03 Jan 2009, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
" I haven't failed..I've just found 10,000 ways that it doesn't work" Thomas Edison while inventing the lightbulb

AMPrentice

Post by AMPrentice » Sun, 04 Jan 2009, 05:13

its worthwhile trying to hold onto a commercial car with a sep chassis as they will be scarce in the future. I still think there is avenue for electric hotrods on our roads instead of these quirky looking low speed Evs.
I would rather do my local things in a 1930s replica than a Hummeridicule anyday Image

Last edited by AMPrentice on Sat, 03 Jan 2009, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.