registration

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
ckas
Groupie

registration

Post by ckas » Sun, 14 Oct 2007, 18:09

When it comes time to get an EV registered how do you go about it?
If the vehicle is registered as a gas burner is it necessary?
If it isnt registered at all whats the appropriate channel to go through?

Thalass

registration

Post by Thalass » Mon, 15 Oct 2007, 07:33

As far as I know, an electric conversion is treated the same way an LPG or diesel conversion is, or any other modification. You go through the DPI or RTA or whatever your state has, and they inspect it and all that.

As far as being registered prior to that or not... I don't know. Do you mean you're building the car from scratch? Or the car's rego has just expired before you start working on it? I think the latter isn't that much of a big deal, but I think building your own car from scratch is much more of a headache with paperwork and such.
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

ckas
Groupie

registration

Post by ckas » Thu, 01 Nov 2007, 18:57

The registration on my suzuki GN has expired. I will need to reregister is once I get the electric motor installed and working.

Elektra
Noobie

registration

Post by Elektra » Wed, 28 Nov 2007, 19:02

Hi ckas, The WAEVA recently had the DPI engineer give a talk. He directed us to the DPI web site that has all the information you need. Download and print the application for permit to convert. Tick the one box (other.. under engine mods) and send it in. They will issue you with a number to identify you when you go to get it checked. They will also tell you what (if anything) they want to see done. Mine was to do with motor mounts. Good luck.
Charging is free - if you use solar energy.