Hyper 9 dual motor shaft coupler (jaw coupler?)

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
necrogt4
Groupie

Hyper 9 dual motor shaft coupler (jaw coupler?)

Post by necrogt4 »

I'm looking at adding a second Hyper 9 to my MX-5 conversion and am currently looking at applicable couplers to join the two motors.

From what I can gather a straight or curved jaw coupler will allow for a slight miss-alignment. What I'm finding though is they tend to be restricted by RPM, torque and also power (well "rated" power when it comes to Lovejoy see https://cad.timken.com/item/aluminum-ja ... at=lovejoy).

Does anyone here have experience with this sort of setup or could perhaps point me in the right direction? The local Lovejoy distributor (Naismith / Pt parts) is giving me no love and after waiting three days for a reply to a detailed email they asked for I was simply told they don't do EV's.
T1 Terry

Re: Hyper 9 dual motor shaft coupler (jaw coupler?)

Post by T1 Terry »

They do go up in torque and rpm capabilities with different materials and outside diameter as well as coupling depth and the cushioning material used ..... but miss alignment on any of the planes results in a failed coupling before you realise there is a problem.
For really high torque and rpm applications, contact someone in the Tractor Pulling Association, they couple multiple high performance engine together and really pour the power into them without the couplings failing very often .... it's generally a motor that lets go because it is working so hard ....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

Thanks for the info Terry!

I've been doing some digging into the subject and have found some more options, if anyone else was interested?
  1. EV Europe their kit sells for €1,095.00 which is roughly ~$1,250 USD excluding shipping. This includes a curved jaw couplers, spider and also motor coupling/adaptor.
  2. Legacy EV (US based) $280 USD which includes stainless two jaw couplers, a urethane spider and alloy coupler cover. This does not include a motor coupling/adaptor to bolt the motors together.
  3. RaleighEV (US based) $1,225 USD. This includes two steel jaw couplers, a spider and a motor coupling/adaptor (see photos, not sure on material).
  4. EV West (US based) ~$2,000 USD. Apparently (second hand information from another EV supplier) make them to order from billet aluminium. So this would likely be the lightest and most expensive of the lot.
I know for sure one of these kits uses Lovejoy couplers so there are DIY options too that do indeed use off the shelf parts.

Images of the RaleighEV kit, not as swish as the EV Europe kit and about the same price really:
Attachments
20210715_141415.jpg
20210715_141415.jpg (3.88 MiB) Viewed 1832 times
20210517_102647.jpg
20210517_102647.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 1832 times
20210517_102538.jpg
20210517_102538.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 1832 times
Bukes
Groupie

Post by Bukes »

It feels expensive, but it’s a certain outcome and it’s quick (rather than diy, which is uncertain and slow ;). What diameter are the input and output shafts? Are they keyed or splined? Can you fabricate the adapter plate yourself? (It’s just two circles with rectangles between them :p)
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

On the outset it does appear rather expensive but after contacting a number of suppliers in Australia to get quotes for both Lovejoy couplers and locally fabricated units the prices are actually pretty good for the US options.

I've been quoted between $500-900 AUD the lower prices being local products that are heavier. Where as at least the US units are sold specifically for this purpose.

The shafts on the Hyper 9 are 1.125" in diameter with a 0.25" keyway.

In terms of the motor to motor adapter I will have that made locally based on a CAD drawing I'm working on. This I can certainly have machined locally and cheaper than US/EU products.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I would be less concerned about the weight and more about the durability of the metal used and the cushioning material used in the coupling and wear factor with the metal ....... rubber chews away cast iron, eats aluminium but the wear factor on machined stainless is something I haven't had experience with at all ..... I have had zero experience with urethane cushioning so I can't say what the effect of that on wear would be ..... but to me the Legacy EV looks the better, but the price doesn't look right .... too cheap .....

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn
necrogt4
Groupie

Post by necrogt4 »

I guess it depends on the markup and how many suppliers there are in the chain. From the prices I've seen for a suitable Lovejoy coupler they're about $80-100 USD each and a spider is around $80 USD.

If you were to buy a lot of them it'd certainly be less (as those prices are single units ordered in, not off the shelf) and a small markup would put it at somewhere around $300 USD.

Once they get stock in I'll order one and find out soon enough 😎