Another Perth Conversion

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
vne165
Noobie

Another Perth Conversion

Post by vne165 » Mon, 30 Jul 2007, 04:12

Hi everyone,
I'm glad to have found the forum, had no idea you guys existed until discovering you through the Electric Echo site. It's good to see some other enthusiasts in town, hello from another one.

I have been engineering a few different projects over the last few years, currently planning a conversion along the lines of the Mazda on the ZEVA site. It would be good to collaborate with a few like minded individuals.

Around a year ago I buil a motorcycle conversion from an SR250. It's currently awaiting a time when I can get it inspected and registered. It cruises wfo at around 65kms/h for around 40kms, will then limp a further 15kms for a total range of around 55kms. I intend to use it for commuting to/from the CBD, around 13kms each way from where I live. It's a bit forlorn at the moment - think one of the batteries has failed, and is awaiting installation of a 48v onboard charger I imported some months ago. It runs an Etek and is pretty zippy, everyone who rides it is amazed.

Also, I have built around five different versions of electric bicycles and have clocked up over 2500km/s riding to/from work in the city. Current version runs a 24v Perm PM-80 on lead acid with a double reduction toothed belt/chain drive onto the rear wheel. Good for about 45kms/hr flat out, but I do have to pedal assist, saving battery for hills and passing lycra wearing road racers.

I'm lucky to have a great workshop with machining/welding capability, abackground in fitting and machining and an understanding wife.
So much to do, so little time.

Anyway, let's hope the WA forum prospers, seems to have not been much activity lately??

Cheers

acmotor

Another Perth Conversion

Post by acmotor » Tue, 31 Jul 2007, 17:57

Hi vne165,

Welcome to the waeva forum.

Sounds like you have been busy ! Image

Join the AEVA (if not already). See applications etc on this waeva site.

The last event (21st July)was a bbq workshop meeting at Rob's factory unit. We had 45 attend. We drove some EV cars and bikes and had the Licensing guru from the DPI addressed the group. All good value.

The next meeting is the AGM and you are welcome. Use contact form on this web site for more info.

Hope to meet you there, Image

iMiEV MY12     105,131km in pure Electric and loving it !

BjBlaster
Groupie

Another Perth Conversion

Post by BjBlaster » Wed, 08 Aug 2007, 04:49

I must say, I saw a white Mustang electric conversion (complete with rear caravan power inlet) in Kewdale today, and was suitably impressed as it powered onto Tonkin Hwy. Go the Electric!
If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway - bj's shed

jpcw
Groupie

Another Perth Conversion

Post by jpcw » Tue, 18 Sep 2007, 03:33

BjBlaster wrote: I must say, I saw a white Mustang electric conversion (complete with rear caravan power inlet) in Kewdale today, and was suitably impressed as it powered onto Tonkin Hwy. Go the Electric!

I got to go for a ride in that Mustang on Saturday and if you think you were impressed watching it on the highway you should have been in it. In top gear it accelerated really well, in bottom gear it was a awesome.
Last edited by jpcw on Sat, 18 Sep 2077, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
“The best way to predict the future is to invent it,” Alan Kay 1971

BjBlaster
Groupie

Another Perth Conversion

Post by BjBlaster » Sat, 22 Sep 2007, 02:52

jpcw wrote:
BjBlaster wrote: I must say, I saw a white Mustang electric conversion (complete with rear caravan power inlet) in Kewdale today, and was suitably impressed as it powered onto Tonkin Hwy. Go the Electric!

I got to go for a ride in that Mustang on Saturday and if you think you were impressed watching it on the highway you should have been in it. In top gear it accelerated really well, in bottom gear it was a awesome.
Good to know I wasn't seeing things :)
If it's stuck, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway - bj's shed