My vision of a low cost electric super car

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
jlcortex
Noobie

My vision of a low cost electric super car

Post by jlcortex »

I have been researching this Christmas holidays and it seems that we are going to see a big change in electric race cars, a lot of people are pointing to the green in the racing scene. and I think that soon we will see that some of these electric vehicles have better performance than their combustion equivalents, as for example is happening in the Pikes Peak.
PROJEKT E, Palatov D2EV Pikes Peak, FIA electric Rallycross for 2021...

Surely the conversions of utility cars make less sense today, but I think we will see very interesting things on sports cars and racing cars, also in powerful classic cars.

I am designing this car based on a big AC induction motor rewind (ABB M2AA IE2 200 B3 in the picture) and a custom industrial 1200V 470A IGBTs controller.
What do you think?

bladecar

Re: My vision of a low cost electric super car

Post by bladecar »

Hi,
From a layman's point of view, I love the drawing.
If the key phrase is "low cost", then it looks pretty good.
It does remind me of Manufacturer's Ute's or work vehicles without their trays fitted. You go for a drive and you spin the rear wheels "accidently" or drive carefully around a corner because all the weight is in the front.
Tesla-type stuff gets handling from the low position of the batteries and other gear. If the batteries are in the red box here and the power train is just behind it in the forward part of the vehicle, then it is very top heavy and completely unbalanced for tyre grip reasons. As a project for personal use, it looks great :)

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

It does look front heavy but I'm not a race car designer.
I'd probably look to coupling the motor straight to the diff without the drive shaft and then spread the battery out so it's more central and flatter, maybe like a T shape coming down the "tunnel".
I guess it depends on how much battery there is there and how much the motor weighs.
Allowing for 100kg per seat that makes 200kg in the middle but towards the rear.
Then 200-300kg of battery up the front
So if you can put the about 100 odd kg of motor just behind/between them. That should help to even out the weight and allows the battery to be lower to help bring down the center of gravity.
That's my uneducated opinion anyway. @galderdi might have better insights

rhills
Site Admin

Post by rhills »

The way you've drawn the body, it looks like it would hold a lot of batteries. Maybe no need for the big red box up front?
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Dec 2019
Total Petrol: 692.1L
ODO: 57409
Av Consumption: 1.21 L/100km

jlcortex
Noobie

Post by jlcortex »

it is only a preliminary design, at the moment i am only thinking, but yes, it will be better to have 2 batteries or one only battery but then, the motor have to be in the rear axis.

One only box battery could be nice for racing because it can be quick change like a RC car

francisco.shi
Groupie

Post by francisco.shi »

You may be better off using a motor designed for EVs. By the time you rewind the industrial motor you will have spent not much less than buying a motor for an EV. Also the EV motors are water cooled so they will give you better performance.

ev28wa
Groupie

Post by ev28wa »

Interesting, are you looking to build this or just playing with designs.