Prelude conversion project - some questions

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
rhills
Site Admin

Re: Prelude conversion project - some questions

Post by rhills »

4Springs wrote:
Sun, 07 Jun 2020, 05:15
Any idea how much water is bad for a cell? I'm thinking of where mine are right now, where they are probably getting at thin film of condensation on these cold mornings.
Hmmm, might need to bring Brumby in by the fire on those cold winter nights :lol:
Rob Hills
AEVA Webmaster
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire PHEV
Petrol Usage to last refill: Jul 2014 - Apr 2020
Total Petrol: 720.1L
ODO: 61386
Av Consumption: 1.17 L/100km

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Looks like the least-worst way to resurect this car and my dignity is to build a non-cooled battery using the 63 Ah LG pouch cells. I'l put them inside sealed polycarbonate enclosures and maybe pack them out with grease to ensure a long service life.

I can fit 8 stacks of 12 cells each inside the main battery pack, meaning NO stuffing around in the boot of the car. I'll have to mount the isolator somewhere convenient, perhaps under the bonnet but I will make the fuse accessible from underneath the car by cutting a small hatch in the base like an iMiEV. Slight hit on range, though. It will be 22 kWh instead of 24 kWh.

Best of all the price for these cells is very reasonable. About $5000 landed, and maybe another $2000 in enclosures and buslinks.

All coming out of my own pocket mind you :(
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

smokinjoe
Noobie

Post by smokinjoe »

Sorry to hear about this Chris ☹️

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Would using one of those "E" spec coolants get around the problem?https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/199 ... -fluid.pdf No water to condense and cause problems and the coolant turns into vapour if it gets above its boiling point condensing again once it cools.

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

It would have been much safer, yes. But it would have also continued to leak - I still have no definitive answer on the source of the leak, but I'm guessing it was the back of the cooling plate on module 3. At least it would still be working, albeit oily.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.