EV wiring help

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
bidgeeeman
Groupie

EV wiring help

Post by bidgeeeman » Wed, 25 Jun 2008, 03:48

Howdy all.
This is my second post since joining the forum today.

I am seriously considering doing an EV kit instalation for a Suzuki Swift. I am not having a problem understandng how the mechanical side of the conversion is done but my brain hurts when it comes to thinking of how I am going to wire up all the components after they are installed. I have done a lot of research for this project and the help has been fantastic,(so glad I have found this forum). The kit manufacturer kindly sent me through a wiring diagram but I am not an auto elecricians eyebrow and cannot follow just a wiring diagram alone.

The last thing I want to do is bother some poor EV expert via numerous std calls into doing a step by step wire up over the phone, (I am based in Coffs Harbour NSW and may as well be building an EV on the moon):)

So my question is, are there any pictorial, step by step tutorials available anywhere that show a novice how to connect all the components of an EV together? I have scoured the net and it seems to me that this part is the least documented of all and I can understand why most people would come to a complete stop right about where I am now. Please, are there any good resources out there?

Cheers

(Fingers crossed)

Bidge

Richo

EV wiring help

Post by Richo » Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 05:45

Hmmm.
The problem is that every model car is different and every person uses different eV parts so almost all conversions are different.
So there would be no one guide that could give a step by step instruction to help a novice complete thier conversion.

As I/others suggested in your other post consult an Auto electrician.
Or use local tafe/uni ppl who would be interested in doing it for free or as thier project.
generally:
1. get your car.
2. fill in your forms for your intention to modify the vehicle.
3. Disconnect battery then all wires from engine.
4. remove engine.
5. Mechnically fit your electric motor.
6. show Auto elec/tafe/uni student schematic let them advise where components go.
7. fit components as suggested.
8. get them back and let them do the wiring.
9. put it over pits to register mods.

Anyone near Bidge that can help him?

bidgeeeman
Groupie

EV wiring help

Post by bidgeeeman » Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 14:20

Thanks rico.
I have had a bit of time to study the wiring diagram and have managed to work out what's going on. Still, I think it's going to be a job for a more experienced person than myself, especially when it comes to the skills requred to assemble the wiring correctly.
Cheers
Bidge