Adapter plate for AC55

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Thomas
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Thomas » Mon, 04 Jul 2011, 22:34

Does anybody have drawings for clutch adapter that's been fabricated?

I guess they're all roughly the same idea. I'll have to pull out the diesel motor in the donor vehicle and have a look at the clutch anyway, but any drawings might help.

Thanks
Thomas

gttool
Groupie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by gttool » Tue, 05 Jul 2011, 13:43

they all end up different are you using the clutch ? probably a good idea to use .. what vehicle is it going into ?

Thomas
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Thomas » Thu, 07 Jul 2011, 18:15

it's going into a Kia Pregio van. I'm keeping the clutch. Hopefully going to pull the diesel engine out next week, so I'm looking for a drawing to get me started. I'll be able to adapt it to the correct measurements once I've got the engine out. It's not easy to get info about this Kia online for some reason.

gttool
Groupie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by gttool » Sat, 09 Jul 2011, 03:49

if you are using the clutch would be best to make a new flywheel with a taper lock in the centre
as i recall the 55 has a splined shaft will need to make a mating piece
i would make the flywheel as light as possible as the motor has alot of mass already
roughly 12mm thick would be fine
make sure you get it balanced afterwards if you dont want any vibrations could be ok but you wont find out till you try it

Geoff

Jodie
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Jodie » Fri, 29 Jul 2011, 04:37

Hi,
Did you end up trying a Carnival conversion?
Im starting on one.
Jodie

Thomas
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Thomas » Mon, 19 Sep 2011, 20:36

Doing a Pregio only. Hope to be pulling out the diesel tomorrow morning and measuring up the adapter and engine bay batt packs.

Probably not use the clutch since it's AC and won't need the extra emergency cutoff that a clutch would provide.

I'll use the clutch plate as part of the adapter assembly for a bit of springiness. The mech who's helping me position the AC55 has done a few transplants of IC motors before so he's had practice at aligning them.

Thomas
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Thomas » Tue, 27 Sep 2011, 04:10

Not much space in the engine bay. I need to put in an auxiliary motor of 3kw or so to run aircon, brakes and power steering. So we're looking for a way to do without the bell housing and save 200mm or so.

The engineer suggests a new gearbox input shaft. It would fit inside the gearbox as normal but would widen out on the motor side to accommodate a female spline.

The splined shaft from the AC55 could fit inside the female spline from the gearbox and make a rigid coupling. His reason is that there is a lot of play in the bearing where the input shaft goes into the gearbox, and this would be enough to absorb any misalignment between the motor shaft and the gearbox shaft.
Started AC55 into a Kia Pregio in August 2011.

Richo

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Richo » Tue, 27 Sep 2011, 20:46

you need an aux motor for brakes?!?
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Thomas
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by Thomas » Wed, 28 Sep 2011, 07:09

Don't I? :) I'll need some sort of vacuum pump. I haven't looked around here yet, maybe the simplest will be to buy a 12v from EV Works. I'd like to avoid shipping more stuff in if I can.

The DC to DC can apparently handle a few accessories and charge a 12v battery simultaneously. I'll go around some wreckers tomorrow to see if I can find some 12v pumps for the accessories.
Started AC55 into a Kia Pregio in August 2011.

jamie85063
Noobie

Adapter plate for AC55

Post by jamie85063 » Sun, 02 Oct 2011, 00:54

Hi Thomas i am about to buy a pregio van off a mates father and have been thinking about a possible electric conversion sometime so i am very interested in seeing how you go about your conversion. Have you started a thread on your progress that i can check out? Hope it all goes well for the conversion.

Cheers Jamie