ZEVA's next conversion(s)

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Post by zeva » Wed, 28 May 2008, 06:53

Hi all,

With the completion of the MX5 in sight, I've had a few people ask me what will be going on in the ZEVA workshop afterwards, and it got me thinking..

My primary interest at this stage is getting EVs out there which push the boundaries, to show the general public what's possible. I'm interested to see how fast, how far, how efficient, or even how cheap a converted EV can be/go!

So I've decided I'll look at taking on one conversion at a time professionally, for people without the time/space/expertise to do it themself, so long as the conversion is to be the best EV in the country.. at something!

Two questions then for the community: What interesting EVs would you like to see made.. and is there anyone out there who'd like it done to their vehicle? Image
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Wed, 28 May 2008, 08:02

ooooo,
ive been pondering where i was going to get my mr2 done. does this mean ive got a 3rd option?
i think ill pm u.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed, 28 May 2008, 17:36

Hi

Can't wait to see your MX5 when it's finished!

I would like to see a feet forward fully enclosed electric motorcycle (gyro stabilised for stopping and low speed maneuvering of course!)   Image
Something like this Acabion or an Ecomobile.
Or a stripped down Piaggio MP3 with a custom made bodyshell - no trainer wheels or gyro
needed with these.

If 2 or even 3 wheels are not enough the super effecient Honda Insight would be an awesome electric car.
I also like the idea of a really cheap EV like the Forkenswift. The biggest problem with a cheap EV I guess is the battery cost.
Last edited by Simon on Wed, 28 May 2008, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

antiscab

Post by antiscab » Wed, 28 May 2008, 17:59

now that i think about it,
id really like to see something like a tango, not sure how it would fare through licencing though

Benonymous
Groupie

Post by Benonymous » Wed, 28 May 2008, 20:01

My dream is a "Group C" style car. Highly impractical but slippery and light. All sorts of economies could be made with the size of the engine bay etc when you don't have to consider exhausts ,radiators and other bulky parts. Something like this

Dunno if you could race it (short distances maybe) but it't be a helluva attention getter!

TasyMoke
Noobie

Post by TasyMoke » Thu, 29 May 2008, 02:06

How about my Moke?

zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Post by zeva » Thu, 29 May 2008, 02:12

Simon: Yeah I'd love to do a 3-wheeler (reverse trike), I have huge respect for the Aptera for example. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a lot more of that type vehicle in the future, so much more efficient than normal cars.

Benonymous: We'd be talking big money to do a proper electric race car well, but I'd have trouble resisting the project if someone brought the funding! That really would be fun.
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Thu, 29 May 2008, 02:16

A guy I know is working with Murtaya in the UK to import them to australia, if I was rich I'd have one imported and then convert it to electric, but it's $70k+!

I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.

Jmags
Groupie

Post by Jmags » Sat, 21 Jun 2008, 22:24

I don't know much about the tech side of things but how about a nice old car with dual mode, low power for extra range and then flip a switch to max performance but with little range. Perhaps running two seperate motors? Nice old muscle cars or sports cars are cool and have with stood the test of time so they will look good for years to come. I would be interested in something like that.