Best place to buy copper & aluminium?

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
zeva
MSN: sigmunky@hotmail.com

Post by zeva » Fri, 16 May 2008, 19:49

Hi all,

Anyone got any good sources for purchasing small quantities of copper (e.g 3x20mm strip) and/or aluminium (e.g sturdy right angle extrusions)? Preferably here in Perth, and I don't mind rifling through offcut bins!

Bunnings have a pretty limited range, and places like Austral Wright aren't very welcoming to small orders..
Ian Hooper
--
"Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead
http://www.zeva.com.au

jpcw
Groupie

Post by jpcw » Sat, 17 May 2008, 03:37

Send me a list of what you want. I can't promise anything but my neighbor has a metal fabrication business and may have some offcuts. Depending on how useful they are to him they could be cheep or free.
“The best way to predict the future is to invent it,” Alan Kay 1971

Sparky Brother
Groupie

Post by Sparky Brother » Mon, 19 May 2008, 00:23

Hi Ian

I always enjoy your posts. Especially the one with the Unicycle made me laugh jenuinely. Good sebse of humor you`ve got. That`s good!

Any way I just read your thread about copper strips you obviously need for an EV conversion. I my self am in the airconditioning and just came up with the idea what if you use
air conditioning soft copper pipe which you cah pre form in any shape than smash the prefabricated pipe into a copper bar by using some sort of press or hydraulic jack.

You can get those from any friendly Air conditioning company or directly from one of the following refrigeration stores:

Actrol, Heatcraft or may be even Reece but the last one sells mstly hard copper.

Cheers
Sparky Brother