Electric Motorbike Plans

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
mattW
Groupie

Electric Motorbike Plans

Post by mattW » Mon, 05 May 2008, 05:01

Well I'm getting to the pointy end of the planning stages of an electric motorbike (the bit where I start buying things). I'm looking at 72V 60AHish lithium pack, either an Etek motor or the Mars ME0709, Kelly controller 300-400A. I am still looking for a 72V DC-DC (ideas anyone?), looking at my lithium options and keeping my eye out for a donor bike. I'm hoping for an 80km range, 100km top speed on a budget of around $7000 give or take a grand. Looking for comments, queries suggestions and suppliers...
Cheers
Matt

Ritay
Noobie

Electric Motorbike Plans

Post by Ritay » Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 02:34

I have just recently purchased a ME0709 with a Kelly PM72301 Controller and although communication with Kelly can be a little difficult if you can be patient they are extremely helpfull and the products above as well as their contactors are very well priced and great quality. I think you may find that the Mars and the Etek are the same they are both made by Mars and seem to be re named by some suppliers as the think yhe Etek name as more attractive to end users. I put these in a Fazer-Nash Ev (made for Sydney Olympics) so I probably can not offer much on its suitability for a EMv. I originally purchased another controller for the original vehicle motor and had a lot of problems with the combination. Kelly never gave up and just continued to help and gave me a full credit when I ordered a motor controller packace.
    My memory is getting so bad that I'm scared I will forget to breathe someday.

Richo

Electric Motorbike Plans

Post by Richo » Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 05:30

Sorry he didn't update this post.
See here:
viewtopic.php?t=264
Mars and Etek are different motors.
Mars is made by Mars Electric LLC.
The Etek/EtekRT is made by Briggs and Stratton.
Different motors different people.
It gets confusing sometimes as a lot of ppl compare the two "Mars equivilent", "Etek equivilent"
He did end up buying the ME0709 from Mars.

antiscab

Electric Motorbike Plans

Post by antiscab » Thu, 26 Jun 2008, 07:57

on the subject of a 72v dc-dc:
http://www.powerstream.com/dc-72.htm
it might be close to what your looking for.

Matt