electroautomotive kits

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
dragracingfish
Noobie

electroautomotive kits

Post by dragracingfish » Sun, 20 Apr 2008, 00:46

Has anyone had any experience with the US Electro Automotive kits. anyone imported one? total cost ? any govt charges/customs/etc? They seem the best way for a diy conversion at a, on the surface, reasonable cost (seems most talk around the $10K+++ for conversion)- any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

MikeD
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by MikeD » Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 14:47

I have just imported a motor from Metric Mind. Costs for a 95.5Kg package from Portland in the US to Sydney via DHL are: Freight $660; Fees $400; GST 10%; Duty 5%.

However you can expect the Duty to be 10%. The folks at DHL in Mascot very helpfully clasiffied I have just imported a motor from Metric Mind. Costs for a 95.5Kg package from Portland in the US to Sydney via DHL are: Freight $660; Fees $400; GST 10%; Duty 5%.

However you can expect the Duty to be 10%. The folks at DHL in Mascot very helpfully classified the package as electrical parts (5% duty) and not automotive parts (10% duty).

Think very carefully about importing, its expensive and you are a long way from help if things don’t go well. Although Metric Mind were very good to deal with.
Rgds
MikeD

MikeD
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by MikeD » Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 14:49

Please excuse the error in the earlier post.

I have just imported a motor from Metric Mind. Costs for a 95.5Kg package from Portland in the US to Sydney via DHL are: Freight $660; Fees $400; GST 10%; Duty 5%.

However you can expect the Duty to be 10%. The folks at DHL in Mascot very helpfully classified the package as electrical parts (5% duty) and not automotive parts (10% duty).

Think very carefully about importing parts; its expensive and you are a long way from help if things don’t go well. Although Metric Mind were very good to deal with.
Rgds
MikeD

jpcw
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by jpcw » Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 16:29

Interesting, I imported a ZAPI controller from the US, got charged 10% GST but no duty. Although there was a $50 processing fee.

PS Mike, you can edit your posts easily, click post options and select edit. I fix up my spelling all the time with that :)
Last edited by jpcw on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
“The best way to predict the future is to invent it,” Alan Kay 1971

Benonymous
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by Benonymous » Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 21:14

Which motor did you get MikeD? Just curious, as the guy at Metric Mind seems to have cornered the market in surplus OEM motors from defunct American car models (the Ford pickup for example) He has some really good Siemens hardware but I can't help thinking that it would be more economical to buy it direct from Siemens Aust, if they would sell it to you that is....
Last edited by Benonymous on Mon, 21 Apr 2008, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

MikeD
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by MikeD » Tue, 22 Apr 2008, 00:22

I was originally interested in the Siemens 1LH5118 but got up-sold to the MES-DEA 200-250 (long story).

Disappointingly I could find no one at Siemens AU to help me with their EV motor range, tried Evisol who pointed me back to Metric Mind. I could have purchased directly from MES-DEA but my Italian is not great and my experience with these companies is they don’t like dealing with private conversions anyway.

Benonymous
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by Benonymous » Tue, 22 Apr 2008, 17:48

I have a good friend who was very high up at Siemens and he couldn't find any of the motors that Metric Mind sell. They were almost all OEM motors. The only matching model numbers I managed to find were in the Siemens marine range but I didn't take it any further. I think the Simovert controllers are OEM items also. I'd love to know where he gets his stock. So the MES was more expensive than the Siemens motor. Were they a similar rating?

Personally I'm keeping in touch with James at Tritium to keep abreast of their induction motor controller/drive. The projected cost is around the $2.5 to 3K mark.

MikeD
Groupie

electroautomotive kits

Post by MikeD » Tue, 22 Apr 2008, 19:16

Metric Mind sources the Siemens motors from Evisol, how Evisol relates to Siemens I'm not sure. Very basically the LH5118 is a 15kW motor and the MES-DEA 200-250 a 30kW motor - but there is more to it than that.

James will be supplying components for my traction system and knows the project well.