Electric ride on lawn mower conversion

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Richo

Post by Richo » Sat, 30 Jan 2010, 07:30

Gow864 wrote: My greenfield (it's a rideon, and Australian one made from steel) powered with a mars electric motor and lead acid batteries (6 X 18ah) gives about 20 mins mowing and 40 mins as a go cart.

Nothing beats practical experience you guys should get some.

Based on Gows experience you need 7776Wh for 2 hours.
So at 48V you need 162Ah battery.
Or 4 x 12V 160Ah.

Using TS cells 15 x 3.2V 160Ah.
But they should have a longer run time than the lead acid.
These are $253 ea from eVworks or $3795 for all 15.

Going for the TS cells 15 x 3.2V 90Ah.
Would cost $2128.50 and still give over an hour of mowing.
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

Richo

Post by Richo » Sat, 30 Jan 2010, 07:33

Don't forget you'll need to add other bits to your list:
Fuse
Motor controller
Battery management system
Battery charger
Contactor
Kill switch
Help prevent road rage - get outta my way! Blasphemy is a swear word. Magnetic North is a south Pole.

juk
Groupie

Post by juk » Sun, 31 Jan 2010, 19:06

Might i suggest you buy a couple of these little electric automowers.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/p ... r-230-acx/

they should do the trick

ripening
Noobie

Post by ripening » Mon, 01 Feb 2010, 19:05

Hello Mowerman,

I'm new too but have been working on a similar problem; you might like to consider if it could apply to you. We moved to this place 6 years ago, 1/2 an acre with small house. It was 90% grass, as my wife said: "a kikuyu desert". We mowed it with a 13hp ride on. Since then we have replaced much of the grass with trees, shrubs and ground covers, with lots of mulch, bounded by lawn edging, so we now have only 30% grass. The edging is curved and irregular and the grass looks stunning, winding away through the woodland, which I believe is doing a lot to remove CO2 in the first place, plus we now use an ordinary petrol powered, push mower, using much less fuel.

I won't be able to continue pushing the mower many more years, so would like to find an electric, self propelled machine. So far I have found one in the USA at http://www.solarispowerproducts.com/index.htm but nothing in Australia, so need to consider whether to import one or to electrify a S/H petrol one. I love the mulching capability on my present machine, so need the extra power to do that.

I did find this electric ride on in Australia, 3 motors: one for drive and two for cutter blocks. 3 hour run time. Is it believable? http://www.neproductsdirect.com.au/p/59 ... e-300.html
rmgs

Johny

Post by Johny » Mon, 01 Feb 2010, 19:24

ripening wrote:I did find this electric ride on in Australia, 3 motors: one for drive and two for cutter blocks. 3 hour run time. Is it believable? http://www.neproductsdirect.com.au/p/59 ... e-300.html
It looks like they use wet lead acid batteries as some sites sell replacements. I can not find out how many they use but the Tandem Power batteries are 12V 24AH.
Their claims appear to be a little over enthusiastic but I have no doubt that under suitable conditions, could be justified (maybe moving a lawn that only just needed mowing).

Of course for that price you are getting a going machine which could have lithium batteries fitted when the lead-acids wear out. That would still be fun/satisfying and heaps easier than converting one from petrol.

It would be good to find out what technology the motors used.

ripening
Noobie

Post by ripening » Tue, 02 Feb 2010, 00:07

I think you would be right about the ride on, you would have to see how it works before buying, $2000 seems very cheap. The Solaris self propelled might be better, using a high efficient brushless motor etc, according to their web site.
rmgs

Johny

Post by Johny » Tue, 02 Feb 2010, 02:50

The Tandem Power ride on uses 3 20AH AGMs. Not a lot of power.
I actually asked.

Hi John

They are 3 Batteries 12V Each and its a Chinese Battery 12V 20A/2HR (
6-Dzm-20 )
Cheers
Tony
--

*Tony Brugioni                    *
*Tandem Power*

T : +61 7 3375 6855                                        A: 3/30
Kelliher Rd                     
F : +61 7 3375 6955                                        Richlands,
Qld, 4077
W : http://www.tandempower.com.au            Australia.

Mowerman
Noobie

Post by Mowerman » Tue, 02 Feb 2010, 18:48

Thank you all for your replies.
It looks like it could end up in $3000-4000 in parts for a conversion and then still may not be up to the job, so I think I put this idea on the backburner and look for a project.
Im still very keen to embark on an EV project as I too think this is the future and I want to be involved.
There is heaps of mountain bike trails around here so maybe an electric Mountain bike would be a better starting point for me to learn the basics and a lot more fun to boot!.
Ive seen where a RC helicopter motor the size of your fist spinning 10000rpm with reduction 10 to 1 has been a very potent option!
Thanks again you guys you have saved me heaps of time, energy and cash on this one with your informed advice.

Tony23
Noobie

Post by Tony23 » Thu, 04 Mar 2010, 19:00

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/04/all_e ... r_grass-2/

can also buy them without the hasle, soon anyway.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Fri, 05 Mar 2010, 07:25

Man, an automower would be great. That, and a roomba/scooba to clean the inside of the house, too.

I bought an electric mower from bunnings a few weeks ago. It's a small push mower, cheap as chips and it shows. Made entirely from plastic, other than the windings and the handle. Great little machine, as long as you're mindful of where the cord is. Of course I only have a small backyard, so it's small size and pushing it don't bother me much. Good luck with the ride-on!
I'll drive an electric vehicle one day.