Heat pump in conversion.

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
wovenrovings
Groupie

Heat pump in conversion.

Post by wovenrovings »

I am in the early stages of a conversion. More about the conversion elsewhere. I am looking at making the aircon into a heat pump system. From what I have been about to find the nissan leaf (2018+) heat pump system might be the best source of components. Especially as my donor leaf motor seems to have the compressor still attached (haven't seen it in person yet). I have considered the model 3 but octovalve and associated control looks to be difficult to reuse. However information on the leaf system is thin on the ground. If anyone had more information on how it works - location of tx valves and soleniods etc. Other suggestions also welcome. If someone knows of a leaf with heat pump being wrecked would be a bonus.

Thanks.
jonescg

Re: Heat pump in conversion.

Post by jonescg »

Heat pump for heating... in Bundaberg? I wouldn't think that was worth the trouble unless windscreen fog is a problem?
AEVA National President, retiring WA branch chair.
wovenrovings
Groupie

Re: Heat pump in conversion.

Post by wovenrovings »

Yes! It sounds crazy when you say it like that. Windscreen fogging is a problem. I have an imiev and it does get cold enough in winter to use the heater in the mornings. 5C or so. In the imiev I really notice how the heater absolutely smashes the range compared to the airconditioning. Also I intend to do some travelling in this conversion, so if I go somewhere cold - like victoria, I will need the heater. Now at the beginning would be the time to do it.
The vehicle has ptc heater elements already (diesels don't warm up quickly) so if this all gets too hard I will just rely on them.