Toyota KE55 token conversion questions

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
TBone
Noobie

Toyota KE55 token conversion questions

Post by TBone »

Hi guys new to the forum have been a bit of lurker for a while and decided to pull the trigger and join up.

So here we go I have a 1979 Ke55 corolla hardtop I am restoring and the old 4K motor in it is cactus so want to bring the old girl up to speed with a EV conversion.

Really wanted to get some expert opinions on what you guys think I should run with it and also kinda use this thread as bit of a journal of the process with the car from complete tear down to complete.

Thanks I’m advance guys for the help and advice I know will come in due time.
brendon_m

Re: Toyota KE55 token conversion questions

Post by brendon_m »

Hi, always nice to hear another project.

What are your goals? Performance, Range, etc.
Daily driver? Track car? off road touring bus with 1000km range uphill towing a boat? :lol:

I have a ke55 that I got off a chap who was restoring it, though you may kill me for what I did to it
DSC_0693.JPG
DSC_0693.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 181 times
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Hahah mate that is absolutely gold I love what you did with it very Art Deco.

I should have been more clear in my first post just looking to make it a every now and then cruiser for around town so doesn’t need a huge range I only live in a small town but still want it to have a little punch when you hit the gas or in this case the electricity.

Also question for anyone who reads this the Rolla iam pretty sure only come out with 48hp so if I was obtain a electric motor of above that would I expect a similar level of performance obviously without the range
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Imiev or outlander phev rear motor could work well if you can squeeze one in under the back.
Otherwise a leaf motor coupled to the factory gearbox.
Then you can run into the aftermarket new motor world (hyper 9s and the ilk) but I personally think they are mostly overpriced for the power you get.
The Motenergy ME1507 I got for my Moke is good for 55kW but the water-cooled version is probably a better bet
jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Nice shootin' car.
"Just three more payments and it's ours!"
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Certainly lived up to its name I can tell you, I've seen brown, blue, brown, blue an uncomfortable number of times in that thing.
It was a great bush hack come rally car until we sheared the axle for the 3rd time. I got fed up with welding axles back together and got halfway through changing the rear end for a nice beefy falcon one when kids happened and it now hasn't moved in 8 years. The snakes and spiders own it now.
Last edited by brendon_m on Fri, 23 Jul 2021, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Would the motoenergy be a little under powered at 16kw I still want a little bit of zip around town
Last edited by TBone on Thu, 22 Jul 2021, 17:57, edited 3 times in total.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

16kW is the continuous rating, as in you can pull 16kW continuously, forever (or 60mins but basically forever). In something as aerodynamic as a Corolla you probably won't do that unless there are a lot of hills near you, especially hills on freeways.
There are calculators for working out drag and acceleration times
Peak power would be 55kW so it'll have more poke than original but still pretty much the same performance as the stock motor and you would definitely need to keep the gearbox.
Personally I'd say it's a bit on the small side but it is a cheap, new AC motor with relatively low voltages which means it'll be safer to work with (safER not safe)
Last edited by brendon_m on Thu, 22 Jul 2021, 17:54, edited 2 times in total.
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Thanks for the info mate the me1616 looks good though at 29kw continuous at a reasonable price what controller set up would be ideal for it
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Also this has probably asked numerous times but are there any wiring diagrams on this site I can search
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

TBone wrote: Thu, 22 Jul 2021, 17:56 Thanks for the info mate the me1616 looks good though at 29kw continuous at a reasonable price what controller set up would be ideal for it
Yeah that's why I recommended the water cooled version.
Same rotor/stator with the same peak power but higher continuous rating because it can get rid of the heat

Motor, controller, isolator, display etc in a kit. Basically what I got but water-cooled for $4600.
https://electricdriveengineering.com.au ... drive-kit/
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Can't help you with searchable wiring diagrams but here is the one I drew for my Moke.
MOKE-WIRING-1.png
MOKE-WIRING-1.png (42.54 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Not entirely helpful though as it is for a moke so missing some (all) creature comforts and the pack was split in 2 with separate chargers/BMSs etc for extra complexity
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Honestly thanks guys this a awesome forum I hope in time I can contribute back in some way
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

How would a FB1-4001 go in a corolla or is that getting into overkill territory as the amount of batteries needed be to great to fit into it ?
Am I wrong in thinking the fb1 compared to motengery that the difference between the two is minimal in terms of hp but a lot different in price for complete set up ?
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I wouldn't be worried about the "amount" of batteries, that only really comes into play when deciding on range.
As an example, I'm running 96V and I used 150Ah cells so 14.4kWh. 26 cells × 4.95kg each = 128.7kg
My old sirion had 45 × 100Ah cells to make 144V and it still ended up with 14.4kWh. 3.2kg × 45 cells = 144kg
Pretty close to the same weight.

Both packs weigh basically the same and take up basically the same amount of room and even give roughly the same range.

You could fit 150Ah cells to the 144V system and end up with a bigger, heavier pack that stores 21.6kWh, this wouldn't give you anymore power for the motor, just more range
There are C ratings on cells to be careful of though. If you try to pull 75kW from a 15kWh pack that would be 5C which is pushing a lot of cells past their breaking point. If you could squeeze say 30kWh in then you would have not only more range but it would also be only 2.5C which is nicer for the cells

I considered the fb1 but the 2 main drawbacks to it for me were
it's DC so no Regen (or at least difficult to the point of not being worth the hassle) and I wanted the latest greatest tech.
You have to decide if that matters to you. Range changes will depend on how/where you drive the car. I personally got about 20% more range running an AC motor on my trip to work but that was also changing the whole car so it was hardly a scientific study.
Regen is also good for coming down hills without overheating brake pads.

And 2.
It's heavier/bigger compared to the me1616. Up to you if that makes a difference. My Moke was very weight/size constrained for the motor which ruled out most motors.
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Yeah you make a great point, regen isn’t much of a consideration where I live there isn’t a hill for about an hour in any direction but the modern tech does appeal to me, I think the part iam struggling with the most in the build is the batteries what to use with the me1616.
The range doesn’t need to be huge anything around 50 kilometres would be fine I just want the car to have a fair bit of zip.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

I went down the 2nd hand OEM path and managed to save a fair few dollars in exchange for less range. I paid $2000 for a 2nd hand imiev pack and I've recently picked up a few 2nd hand 24kWh leaf packs for $3500. They're at 60% SoH so roughly 14.4kWh of actual capacity.
When I was looking at new cells out of China they were around the $6000 mark and up for 20kWh worth of cells.

@jonescg is currently doing expressions of interest for 21700s that he wants to do a group buy on

And @francisco.shi did a group buy on LG pouch cells, can't remember if he was planning on getting anymore or if he had spares.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Where about are you located?
TBone
Noobie

Post by TBone »

Thanks mate iam located in Mildura so roughly half way between Melbourne and Adelaide.
Iam not ready for the conversion parts yet but want to get it all set what I want to do so I can save a few more dollars when the time comes or buy the parts gradually.
The first part of the process will be restoring the corolla rust removal interior reupholster then the conversion I’ll be posting pics once I get started on the whole process