EV Ute Conversion - direct drive options

Technical discussion on converting internal combustion to electric
Super
Noobie

EV Ute Conversion - direct drive options

Post by Super »

Hi to All.

I haven't searched the forum yet as I don't really know what terms to search for, so please be gentle with me, am just looking for basic pointers to then drill down my research...

I am considering buying a small ute for EV conversion, would do the work myself...

What vehicles such as Subaru Brumby etc, would be most suitable for EV conversion, with removal of the gearbox for straight thru / one pedal driving ?

Front / rear / 4 wheel drive all would be in my options.

Cheers...

Chris

jonescg

Re: EV Ute Conversion - direct drive options

Post by jonescg »

Trayback utes would have to be the easiest conversion going - lift the tray, install battery on the frame rails, lower tray.
Otherwise if you can find a Datsun ute in good condition they might be a fun collectable.
If you drop the gearbox, you will need a motor with lots of torque. You can get away with less torque if you keep the box. If you get a front wheel drive ute like the Proton Jumbuck it's a very straight forward conversion, even if you keep the box.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Adding to that, just because you keep the gearbox doesn't mean you have to change gears. Keeping a gearbox is just a cheap way to get the right reduction to the diff.
Eg. My diahatsu I just shove in third and drive it like an auto and my Moke uses 2nd.

In terms of vehicle selection, find something you like and make it work, most things have been done before so have a look at http://www.evalbum.com/ and the various forums and see if you can find examples of other people's work as that may give you an idea of some of the hurdles you will have to cross for a particular car.

Also remember vehicle cost + EV conversion cost ≠ resale value so don't expect to have an appreciating asset.

Also also, don't start with a car in poor condition, if you are going to throw min $10,000 at a car and quite possibly many $10s of thousands, don't start with a $100 bunky, it'll just end in disappointment

Super
Noobie

Post by Super »

Thanks Gents - just the info I was looking for.

Definitely not an investment decision I get that :)

And I definitely wouldn't throw that sort of money at a real bunky, would need to be a rust free reasonable car to start with.

A ute is most practical both for ev setup and later use in my situation. We already have an ev road car so keen to build a ute of my own in the next year or two.

Even though it won't be cost effective, no hobby project generally is, I still somehow love the idea of getting some / most of the power through our solar at home - it just feels right.

This forum is the beginning of my research.

Thanks again...

Chris

jonescg

Post by jonescg »

Mate, we at AEVA never discourage folks from embarking on a conversion project. They are actually fun, rewarding and great learning experiences.
You can build the EV that doesn't exist now - utes and vans are perfect examples.

But yeah, if you just want an EV, go out and buy one.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.

Super
Noobie

Post by Super »

Its the building process that excites me most...

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Super wrote:
Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 14:19
Thanks Gents - just the info I was looking for.

Definitely not an investment decision I get that :)

And I definitely wouldn't throw that sort of money at a real bunky, would need to be a rust free reasonable car to start with.

A ute is most practical both for ev setup and later use in my situation. We already have an ev road car so keen to build a ute of my own in the next year or two.

Even though it won't be cost effective, no hobby project generally is, I still somehow love the idea of getting some / most of the power through our solar at home - it just feels right.

This forum is the beginning of my research.

Thanks again...

Chris
Have you thought about a VW Kombi single cab or dual cab ute for the basic build vehicle? It would be one of those vehicles that didn't loose value, has a huge area available for the battery and adapting the electric motor to the original gearbox (5 rib or 6 rib) is something I believe adaptor plates are already available.
All the body bits for these vehicles are readily available, a forum called Kombi Club has a lot of very helpful people when it comes to knowledge about the vehicle itself, and the finished project would certainly turn heads and stand out at a display or show ...... worth a thought, if I had the $$ and time Id certainly build one, but still trying to find that to do my '74 bay Kombi

T1 Terry
Green but want to learn

Super
Noobie

Post by Super »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info - funny you say that - I just missed out on a VW Kombi in mint original condition in WA wheatbelt, he sold it for 4 grand and it was mint.

I will keep my options open but hadn't thought of VW.

Trayback ute would be perfect, well-body next choice.

4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

jonescg wrote:
Tue, 14 Jul 2020, 15:17
Mate, we at AEVA never discourage folks from embarking on a conversion project.
Speak for yourself, I'm sure I've discouraged plenty of folks by sending them to my build thread!
Here it is, the thread for my Brumby: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2418
As Chris said, you'd need a more powerful motor than mine if you went direct drive. I can put it in 4th to see what it would be like as direct drive, and it is pretty gutless. Using the gearbox and clutch also makes it easy to get 4WD and reverse.

Where are you? There may be converted utes near you to go and have a look at... and drive!

Adverse Effects

Post by Adverse Effects »

4Springs wrote:
Thu, 16 Jul 2020, 18:51
Speak for yourself, I'm sure I've discouraged plenty of folks by sending them to my build thread!
HAHAHA
If you don't have time to do it right,
When will you have time to do it over

Help those who help themselves first