Elcon charger can communication error TCCH-72-25-CAN1009

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Laloe
Noobie

Elcon charger can communication error TCCH-72-25-CAN1009

Post by Laloe »

Hello
I have an issue with Elcon charger TCCH-72-25-CAN1009 that is driving me crazy. I need some help.

My old elcon charger stopped communicating with the BMS, and gives an can error communication with flashing green -led flashing leds.

I read the can message with usb to can interface and i am getting : Id: "6A1" and message 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00"

Message looks fine: is giving a can error communication (that i was expecting it) but the Id 6A1 it doesnt make sense to me i was expecting something like "18FF50E5"

Also i tried to send every second id 1806E5F4 and 02 D0 000A 00 000000 but i do not get any result

I suppose that the error is that elcon has "lost the id ". could you give me any idea were the issue could come from and how to solve it? Would be elcon can bus interface or the processor on the charger?

Thanks in advanced!! if i solve this i would be forever grateful!!!
:mrgreen:
coulomb
Site Admin

Re: Elcon charger can communication error TCCH-72-25-CAN1009

Post by coulomb »

Laloe wrote: Sat, 10 Oct 2020, 19:00 I have an issue with Elcon charger TCCH-72-25-CAN1009 that is driving me crazy.
I'm not familiar with the CAN1009, only CAN1000. Was the last digit a typo?
I read the can message with usb to can interface and i am getting : Id: "6A1" and message 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00"
That's pretty weird. It seems to me that the CAN box isn't reading the serial data from the charger properly.
Also i tried to send every second id 1806E5F4 and 02 D0 000A 00 000000 but i do not get any result
That's requesting to charge at 72.0 V; that won't charge a nominal 72.0 V battery at all. The Elcon's often misread the battery voltage by several percent; often I find I have to ask for a higher voltage than I want to actually charge at. The charger wants to work mainly with current.

Does sending the packet change the LED pattern at all?

I haven't had my head in this space for a while; try to find the exact pattern for comms error (note: some of the manuals are misleading or flat out wrong) and make sure that is the error that you are seeing. There are several patterns that involve red and green. Some have gaps between, others don't. From a quick search, these are the two you are likely to run across:
  • RGRGRGR - Communication error (CAN Bus only).
    R - G - R - G - Battery not connected or out of specification or DC output fuse blown (or waiting for CAN command).
I suppose that the error is that elcon has "lost the id ".
That seems unlikely; the IDs are burned into the firmware. I have a "Unican" firmware (almost universal firmware that should read the various limits from EEPROM) that you could try as a last resort. But first try charging by sending a packet with say 75.0 or even 80.0 V (at 1.0 A, that should not overcharge your battery unless you keep doing it for hours) and see if anything happens. I don't expect it, since if it's in state zero, it will not charge. My memory is hazy but I'm pretty certain that the R - G - R - G - pattern means it's in state 0.
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.
Laloe
Noobie

Post by Laloe »

I'm not familiar with the CAN1009, only CAN1000. Was the last digit a typo?
Is not a typo error CAN1009
Does sending the packet change the LED pattern at all?
No, is still giving communication error pattern (RGRGRGR - Communication error (CAN Bus only)) also it is still sending message error message 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 where 10 means Communication error
But first try charging by sending a packet with say 75.0 or even 80.0 V (at 1.0 A, that should not overcharge your battery unless you keep doing it for hours) and see if anything happens.
i tried but still i got communication error
the IDs are burned into the firmware. I have a "Unican" firmware (almost universal firmware that should read the various limits from EEPROM) that you could try as a last resort.
It looks really interesting , could you give me some info about it so i can try?

i tried to connect directly to 7 pin connector with the arduino "interface" circuit that you posted several years ago (the one with two optos) but i am not able to read anything, so now i am trying to prepare the serial interface to 7 pin connector , so lets see if i can read something dorectly on the charger .

Also i checked charger optocouplers and it looks ok. I do not know if i should get rid of the gloo in the canbus interface and check the optocouplers or something else

Thanks!
EricB
Noobie

Post by EricB »

Where you able to fix your Elcon charger problem ? 0x6A1 looks like a CANopen 11bit message and not a 29bits J1939 message.
Could it be sent via another CAN node on your bus ?

I read that you can use up to 4x ELCON chargers on the same bus. When you ordered yours, did they ask you for the specific ID you needed ?
or do you have to configure the charger for proper ID selection ?
niitu
Noobie

Post by niitu »

Hi, did you get this issue sorted out?
I have similar problem with my Elcon charger and the communication fails no matter what!
Last edited by niitu on Sat, 23 Sep 2023, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
niitu
Noobie

Post by niitu »

Opened the charger and did some continuity tests. The output positive&negative did not show any voltage and the continuity test was also zero although the charger was connected on outlet. The input showed 230V and the charger also clicks when connected to wall. Tested continuity also for the easily accessible fuse near output and it also resulted zero.
elconZero.PNG
elconZero.PNG (784.95 KiB) Viewed 272 times

So it seems that the output is dead for some reason...
coulomb
Site Admin

Post by coulomb »

niitu wrote: Mon, 05 Feb 2024, 14:51 The input showed 230V and the charger also clicks when connected to wall.
Check if that's the input relay. It's across the pre-charge resistors. It's a common failure for the pre-charge resistors to blow.

In this case, the power supply may be collapsing. That could be because of damage elsewhere, that only gets activated when the charger tries to run the main MOSFETs. Check the two power supply outputs; one should be around 15 V and powers the input relay and everything before the transformer. The other is around 12 V and runs everything after the transformer. They are isolated from each other.
So it seems that the output is dead for some reason...
You won't see any output at the battery terminals unless and until the charger sees voltage from the battery.

Have you been following the steps, using the jumpers etc, at the Troubleshooting and Repair page?
MG ZS EV 2021 April 2021. Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
If you appreciate my work, you can buy me a coffee.