Caps over terminals?

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Paul9
Groupie

Caps over terminals?

Post by Paul9 »

Hi

My recent battery purchase included caps to go over the top of the terminal bolts and are designed to partially cover the inter cell connectors as well. See pictures below:
20200812_141852.jpg
20200812_141852.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 450 times
20200812_141748.jpg
20200812_141748.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 450 times
I have never put caps over terminals before and am now starting to doubt the wisdom of that.

The plus for using the caps is obviously that it will reduce the chances of me shorting out between batteries when I drop a spanner on them.

The negatives could be:

a) Could moisture build up underneath the caps thereby helping the terminals to deteriorate?

b) Could the use of the caps help the terminals become hotter than they otherwise would?

Could there be other pluses or minuses I haven't thought of?

Thanks for your help

Paul
jonescg

Re: Caps over terminals?

Post by jonescg »

The cells themselves will soak up any heat generated at the terminals, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for condensation, in my experience it will get everywhere regardless so I don't think it would be any worse than otherwise. But preventing a spanner short - worth every cent.
AEVA National Secretary, WA branch chair.
brendon_m

Post by brendon_m »

Agreed, use the caps if possible. Melted spanners look cool and their 'making of' videos are exciting but I wouldn't be keen to try it out myself, I've done it with my wedding ring and I don't recommend....
If you have enough moisture around to cause condensation under the caps your in trouble anyway. Also if the heat insulation of that tiny bit of plastic is enough to cause the terminals to cook then they are going to give you grief without the caps as well.
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Thanks guys

There is obviously a consensus of opinions.

Cheers
4Springs
Site Admin

Post by 4Springs »

No, these are terrible. You should not use them at all. I can take them off your hands for you, please send them now!
Paul9
Groupie

Post by Paul9 »

Yes Christopher

I was almost going to have the caps delivered straight to your place but I was worried they might not work properly. I didn't want to send you some "duds" so I thought I better test them out thoroughly on my car.

I will test them out thoroughly for a few years and if they work properly I will send them to you!

I am just trying to keep your best interests in mind Christopher!

Cheers
Paul