Upgrade to Lithiums

How do you store and manage your electricity?
Adverse Effects

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by Adverse Effects »

4Springs wrote: It sounds like a run over the pack with a torque wrench periodically might be a good idea too, from what acmotor said about circuit boards compressing.

yep i personally don't like the idea of a PCB being under each bolt on each battery terminal for that reason

just my thoughts but would something like Solder Lug Terminals to attack the boards to the terminals that way you could also use something like Nord-Lock washers to stop things coming lose

acmotor

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by acmotor »

Yes, the Nord-Lock is a type of cone washer I refered to earlier. It may offer reduced conductivity but then it is not the main current path.

Another assembly worth mentioning is the stud fitted to the battery terminal and a nut then on the outside. Can be the nylock you like.
In that case a threadlocked in stud would have reason. But don't get any threadlock between the importanct faces, it is an insulator.

Just keep the aims in mind. Ease of assembly, cost, creep tollerance but most of all..... the maximum compression force on the main strap/lug to battery terminal joint (without thread damage). That final one really does dominate that planning.

edit: The stud method would be useful where battery is disconnected regularly as the aluminium thread is not suited to repeated use. There may be little advantage for a permanent installation though.
Last edited by acmotor on Sun, 08 Dec 2013, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

4Springs
Site Admin

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by 4Springs »

I've bought myself some longer bolts with Allen key heads.
Those Nord-Lock washers look interesting, if a bit expensive!
The solder lug terminals might be good, but I think the interconnects would get in the way.

I asked EV Power for a torque wrench setting for the bolts. Rod replied 20-30 ft lbs "from memory". Does this sound right? It seems very tight to me! I tightened the lead-acid bolts on my current set-up to 7 ft lbs.

acmotor

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by acmotor »

That sounds reasonable on the 8mm bolts of the 180Ah cells.
The torque wrench is for consistency too. Rod may have a calibrated wrist and has probably mounted many more cells than I.

Remember lead is a lot softer than aluminium so target torque would be lower.

As mentioned, you are best off with as much torque as you can apply to lower the contact resistance..... without rotating the terminal or stripping the thread of course.
iMiEV MY12     110,230km in pure Electric and loving it !

evric
Site Admin

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by evric »

I found this regarding Lithium cells torque settings:
8mm: 15 ft-lbs / 20 Nm
6mm: 7 ft-lbs / 9 Nm

This is what I work to.
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au

4Springs
Site Admin

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by 4Springs »

Hmm... Somehow I missed these two replies about torque settings. I ended up torquing to 15 ft-lbs, since the bolts were damaged too much if I went any higher. The button heads of my bolts have an internal hex (Allen key) socket, and they start to be damaged at about this setting.
So I'll take evric's advice! 15 ft-lbs certainly feel tight enough.

Micatech
Noobie

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by Micatech »

Hi,
   I am interested in a set of 180ah batteries.

Tell me all about them.

Cheers
Larry
Next fun project ---EV Laser KH Ghia

Johny

Upgrade to Lithiums

Post by Johny »

Micatech wrote:Tell me all about them.
That could be a very long post and be somewhat better provided by the heap of information out there in google land.
What specifically are you wanting to know?
Last edited by Johny on Sun, 16 Mar 2014, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.