What an EVSE provides

How do you store and manage your electricity?
coulomb
Site Admin

What an EVSE provides

Post by coulomb »

As inventor of the Dutyor(TM), it's your duty (cough) to specify the Dutyor colour code now.

Perhaps black epoxy for 10 A (ends in zero), green for 15 A (ends in 5), and so on. At the risk of showing my age, dare I suggest the "body tip spot" code for higher resolution?

That's assuming it can't be field programmed after epoxying. In fact, I'm intrigued as to how you do program it.

Also, is the longer lead the "cathode" (negative terminal)? You set this standard, too.

Is it made from parts that any BMS designer would find in his box of spare parts?
Last edited by coulomb on Tue, 13 Aug 2013, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
weber
Site Admin

What an EVSE provides

Post by weber »

So what is it made from? It is made from a microcontroller and a capacitor (and wire and solder). The micro is an ultra-low-power Texas Instruments MSP430G2452 in a 16 pin quad package. The capacitor is a 1u0 ceramic in an 0805 package. Yes, these are spare parts from our BMS development. The earth pin connects to the micro's GND pad and bridges to its large central thermal pad. The cap connects between the thermal pad and VCC. The sense pin wraps around two sides of the micro and connects to all 8 pads of one I/O port. These are the digital VCC and GND. It doesn't matter if the analog VCC and GND get connected too.

How does it work? The power supply for the micro just happens, because the internal protection diodes on the 8 I/O pads charge the supply capacitor at the peaks of the waveform, provided the duty cycle is at least 5%. J1772 has a 10% minimum. Two additional fine wires are temporarily soldered to the /RST and TEST pads (which double as JTAG data and clock) to allow the program to be downloaded from the netbook. The 4 pin JTAG connector is plugged into the experimeters' plugboard and aligned as follows with the two pins and two temporary fine wires of the dutyor. SENSE is fed via a 330R resistor from a +3 V power supply whose other terminal is connected to the EARTH pin.
Dutyor JTAG
------------
       VCC
TEST   JCLOCK
/RST   JDATA
EARTH  GND
SENSE
The program is simply two delay-loops giving the desired on and off times, switching all 8 bits of the I/O port at the same time. After programming, the JTAG wires are removed and a tiny piece of blue teflon-coated wire-wrap wire permanently connects the /RST pad to the VCC end of the capacitor. Then the whole thing is coated in 5-minute 2-part epoxy. To indicate the value, I can just write the two digits of the represented current, in white, on the black ceramic of the micro, since I'm using ultra-clear epoxy.

Although the one in the photo isn't, I think the lead-lengths should be the same as for an LED -- long positive (Sense), short negative (Earth). Each lead should be crimped inside a ferrule with the matching wire of the flexible cable. The Earth ferrule will then be clamped by a screw in the back of the plug. If the Sense ferrule is floating it should be thoroughly surrounded and secured with neutral-cure silicone near the earth terminal, well away from the neutral and active terminals.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
Shirker
Groupie

What an EVSE provides

Post by Shirker »

Awesome! So what's the "standard" 4-pin plug of choice?
coulomb
Site Admin

What an EVSE provides

Post by coulomb »

Weber ordered these from Amazon (they also have J1772 connectors):

Image     Image

Respectively NEMA L14-30P and NEMA L14-30C.

These are supposed to be "twist lock", but the locking action seems fairly slight when I looked with them last EV day.

The idea is that these are rated for 250 V AC 30 A, are readily available at least from overseas suppliers, and don't plug into anything else (at least nothing legal) in Australia.

[ Edit: there is also one pin designated for ground, which may have a little more brass area than the others. There is also a designated neutral, and the other two are two "hots" in North America (usually both 120 V from neutral, and 240 V from hot to hot). ]
Last edited by coulomb on Thu, 15 Aug 2013, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf 2012 with new battery May 2019.
5650 W solar, 2xPIP-4048MS inverters, 16 kWh battery.
1.4 kW solar with 1.2 kW Latronics inverter and FIT.
160 W solar, 2.5 kWh 24 V battery for lights.
Patching PIP-4048/5048 inverter-chargers.
weber
Site Admin

What an EVSE provides

Post by weber »

These NEMA L14-30's will require some work to make them sufficiently water resistant. Jeff Owen made the excellent suggestion of a cylindrical collar attached to the male, pushing against an o-ring on the female. It turns out that a 38 mm length of nominally 50 mm diameter PVC drain pipe does the job admirably. He pointed out that the collar would also serve to make it safe against a metal edge or small fingers getting between the plug and socket and would protect the male pins from bending due to other cargo in the boot.

Annoyingly the male, made by Cooper, does not have a weatherproof cable entry, while the females, made by Marinco, do. So the former will have to be a silicone job.

I'd be very pleased if someone can find a (presumably US) source of these NEMA L14-30's as a matched pair that are already waterproof.

I went for 30 amp connectors, even though they are somewhat bulky, so the same system will work for the next model of Nissan Leaf, that will be able to charge at 30 amps from single phase 240 Vac, and because 32 A is the highest-current single-phase GPO available in Australia. Obviously any 4 pin plug used for the interchangeable 3 pin plug adapters needs to handle the highest current of any of those 3 pin plugs. At least it's not as bulky (or anywhere near as heavy) as an inline EVSE. But I still recommend using side-entry plugs for the 3-pin plugs, to reduce the tendency for any weight to pull them out, and to let the rain covers close more tightly over them when plugged into outlets in outdoor enclosures like the Clipsal 255.

The Tesla Roadster used a 50 amp 4 pin plug for its adapters (not a NEMA but some Californian standard), that was even more bulky (and more expensive). But it did come with a collar already on the male.

On the L14-30's, when used in the US, the L-shaped pin is the earth and the neutral is the pin opposite the earth. It seems obvious that we should use the same pin for earth, but I suggest we use the US neutral pin as the sense pin, since this will cause the least damage if one of these charge cables somehow found its way to an actual US-wired L14-30 outlet, or conversely if someone tried to plug an L14-30 appliance into one of our adapters. At least the 240 V will appear between the same two pins in both cases. And I suggest that the arrangement of active, neutral and earth should be the same as for ordinary Australian plugs and sockets, namely, when looking at the back of the male, or at the slots in the female, with the earth pin down, the active should be on the left, the neutral on the right. That leaves the sense pin at the top.
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDPUbTfukI

Safety first from Mitsubishi Australia.
Ip55 when screwed in.
The j1772 side is ip55 when plugged in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udcrie_3o8o

The imiev is an appliance!
Last edited by g4qber on Sat, 31 Aug 2013, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

Hi Jodie

how is your clipper creek unit going?
Jodie
Noobie

What an EVSE provides

Post by Jodie »

Its what I expected, but I have nothing to plug it into.
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

Thanks Jodie

What vehicle do you intend to plug it into ?

Does the charger comply to Australian standards?
Jodie
Noobie

What an EVSE provides

Post by Jodie »

No Australian standard, Its single phase 50Hz 230V 13A continuous with the U.K. plug
It was an opportunistic purchase, I paid about 200 pound delivered.
PlanB

What an EVSE provides

Post by PlanB »

Bemusement, that's what an EVSE provides. My sibling the Sparky came up yesterday to wire my wall mount EVSE into the off peak supply. Alas, as so often happens when the Brer & I get together, the dreaded 'what ifs' surfaced. What if I need a charge out of off peak? Instead of a simple cable run, we ended up with a double pole circuit breaker (regular & off peak supplies) & a SPDT changeover switch (choose regular or off peak). A mornings job blew out to most of a day. The bemusement? Well turns out the switchboard Zellweger relay is broke, stuck in the on position, my off peak is on 24/7. So much for grid boosted solar hot water, more like solar boosted grid heated water. Sigh.
Lismore_Doug
Groupie

What an EVSE provides

Post by Lismore_Doug »

Well, PlanB: Interesting.
I wired my O/P to a socket: I have 2 15A sockets side by side. My intention is to have the home-built EVSE with a plug internally in the EVSE box (so the cover is removed, & a short lead terminates in a 15A plug) The advantage is that I can then use the normal 15a socket to supply the Imiev EVSE if we need to top up at peak times (such as if we need to top up to run into town in the evening for a show after having a long drive during the day: happened maybe twice in 3 months)

My only issue now is that my wife will not back the Imiev into the garage, so currently I have a 15A lead that goes up the wall, over the car, & the EVSE plugs in in the centre of the garage (My workshop is up the other side). fyi, I used some 50mm plastic sewer pipe to run the lead through: the 3 pin plug slips through easily, & I can slip the lead out if I need to take it away. (short pieces of pipe with a big hole one side, screwed to the ceiling with roofing screws)

regards Doug
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np2CPoWJzhk
what American EVSEs look like

lol they broke a baseball bat on the HCS-40 Clipper Creek unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFgmBP3EXo

tip - get the longest cable available - 25ft.
Last edited by g4qber on Fri, 03 Jan 2014, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
E-STATION
Groupie

What an EVSE provides

Post by E-STATION »

The BMW i3 and the Nissan Leaf mark 2 will have on-board AC chargers rated to 32 amps. EVSE's have more advantages when the current draw is higher. 32 amp domestic AC charging will probably become the standard for BEVs. Manufacturers of PHEVs like the Volt will probably stick with AC 15 amp for domestic charging.      
Last edited by E-STATION on Mon, 06 Jan 2014, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
weber
Site Admin

What an EVSE provides

Post by weber »

E-STATION wrote: The BMW i3 and the Nissan Leaf mark 2 will have on-board AC chargers rated to 32 amps. EVSE's have more advantages when the current draw is higher.

Advantages over what? My understanding is that the EVSEs supplied with these cars will cripple them to a 10 amp charge even when higher rated GPOs are available, like the 32 amp GPOs at my place. And will prevent them from charging at all from a 10 amp GPO. What are these advantages you speak of?
Last edited by weber on Tue, 07 Jan 2014, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

What an EVSE provides

Post by Gabz »

sure the supplied EVSE is 10amps for what nissian and bmw will call "emergency charging" but BMW will want to sell each customer a wallbox EVSE and Nissan sales already tell people they have to install a chargepoint EVSE at home.

g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

http://www.plugincars.com/quick-guide-b ... 26875.html

Current US evses on the market.

<edit added US>
Thanks gabz
Last edited by g4qber on Wed, 15 Jan 2014, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Gabz

What an EVSE provides

Post by Gabz »

you should put a disclaimer current EVSE on the US market. there are only 3 approved for Australia chargepoint, aeroviroment and circontrol. (as far as i know)
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

webprice $350

Phoenix Holden manage to quote $369.25
They seem to be the only independent Holden Volt dealer in Perth
Others belong to the AHG Group

Melville Holden quoted $415
Shacks Holden quoted $425

I'm gonna try other dealerships for fun.
2020 Model 3 SR+ - Delivered Fri 17 Jan ‘20 - k kms 59
2009 Tango - http://www.evalbum.com/211
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

http://www.emotorwerks.com/products/onl ... ng-station

I'm tempted to get the premium one.
it has time of day charging, will be interesting to see what happens with the volt; if I still have it.
g4qber

What an EVSE provides

Post by g4qber »

$AUD1500 for 10A Yazaki EVSE replacement for Outlander PHEV
This is from Wanneroo Mitsubishi
will be interesting to see if any Mitsu dealers don't sell the PHEV.